Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Consensus is superior to tyranny of the majority.
I laughed.

Thanks.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I think the slight unbalance in the karma "formulas" do not make a big difference. There is usually visible diff in the first 2-4 weeks and probably after 1+ year, but the first period passes quickly and the on the long run it does not matter.

With this being said, Yes to karma and some points to consider:
* Community contribution (thanks/bugz/brains), development is good to be rewarded as before
* Learning should be rewarded too, so new users can gain karma (this promotes the right behaviour)
* If there would be an action handling system in the background, that could make it easier to track/give karma on community actions

Hopefully I can make all of this into a compelling proposal on the weekend

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following User Says Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
* Learning should be rewarded too, so new users can gain karma (this promotes the right behaviour)
It would be really cool I think if there was a means of awarding one-time decent karma to first-time viewers of help resources, greeting pages, etc.

- visit the new users wiki page, get 10 karma
- leave a first post in a Welcome New Users thread, get 5 karma
- etc

And yes, I grant it's imperfect. Just a thought.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Let me keep playing evil's advocate.

Are you considering the fact that plenty of professionals will be paid to work full time developing MeeGo openly and this will give an advantage over those purely volunteering?

Until now this situation was an exception. Myself for instance, toping the ranking since always (something that didn't make me proud, actually). Imagine if we would start counting commits at http://maemo.gitorious.org and imagine that most platform nokians are there mmiting every day. Imagine that they really move their bugzilla actuvuty outside.

How will you address the fact that developers from companies have high chances of being the ones on top? Combine this with the fact that such individuals can move roles inside a company or van change companies overnight.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Let me return the devil's volley:

For one, I don't mind that paid employees have any sort of advantage. That could be dealt with when you're using karma as any sort of award.

For another... you could simply exclude them outright.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
For one, I don't mind that paid employees have any sort of advantage. That could be dealt with when you're using karma as any sort of award.
Just make sure accounts are appropriately flagged?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
For another... you could simply exclude them outright.
An option, but, truth be told, I think the competitive aspects of karma apply to paid folks nearly as much as volunteers.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
From The Interview:

Interviewer: So why do you think you've earned this promotion?
Interviewee: I reached 2000 karma! \o/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I personally like an idea I heard a while back. Everyone earns some amounts of Karma regularly, but they can only give them to others. The karma they earn cannot count towards them. This means that if you have high karma, its because the community thinks you deserve it. If a paid worker is helping the community and earning large amounts of karma, they will have well earned it.

Karma should be earned by helping others, be it answering a question or making an app, writing a blog, writing helpful wikis. People can decide how to pass out their earned karma. It actually encourages coopetition and helpfulness.

my two cents,
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
It could sure help at job review time! managers love metrics.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Texrat: a gift? By whom? Like what?

More: I understand Valerio's point that karmas are useful in communities. This is why I proposed a karma system for maemo.org in 2007 and this is why I'm still noting that most of the tools we are using in maemo.org and will use in meego.com have traditions of karma generation.

But then, in maemo.org karma has got always some (strong?) relation with the expectation of getting a free / discounted / loan device. This is something that generate uncomfortable, distorted or even childish situations. You have seen it and I have seen it to the extreme.

In MeeGo, with more device vendors and a higher potential to have a bigger community, this combination can get really uncomfortable, distorting and perhaps even more childish.

This goes again back to the karma per tool but without mixing tools and karma values. If I love bug reporting I see the incentive and usefulness of having a senior rank in Bugzilla. If I'm into open source development I see the point of Ohloh statistics putting me near the top of the crop. If I'm into forum discussions then I see the incentive of being distinguished as a senior commenter.

But... what is the point of mixing all these stats, in a single and quite arbitrary value? Please answer.

What is the message? That I am more contributor than you because I'm lucky that blogging is overrated compared to app downloads or git commits? Please answer.

What is the final purpose? Is it the distribution of devices as an incentive or is it something more. Please answer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: