Active Topics

First of all - thank you very much for a much-needed application Tahitibob!
This will allow the N800 to work as a real PIM device as well as a sweet internet tablet :-)

I kind of like Dates, though, so if you ever get the chance to make a Dates version of Erminig I would be thrilled. I was looking into doing something like this before, but honestly it seemed too big for my spare time, so I'm glad someone else made it.

Good work!

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Hey TahitiBob,

You are quite welcome! Don't worry about the english man, my french is much worse! And your Python is xlnt as well...for your first project you've done very well.

As for bugs, i haven't found any yet but will report if I do.

Improvements? Someone mention this already, but a 'snyc all profiles' tab would be xlnt and of course a way to sync contacts would really flesh out the PIM. I realize there may be issues beyond my understanding with this, but one can always hope.

Also, I agree with another poster that emining for 'Dates' would be cool, as this is a much simpler interface and I like it a lot better than GPE for that reason. It's all about usability...KISS!

So thanks again!

Peace,

Phillip

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
Hope I'm not asking a question thats too stupid....

It says i need:

python2.5
python2.5-gtk2
python2.5-hildon
python2.5-xml

And to get these from the Nokia application manger but I can see only Python 2.5, are all the 4 items listed above all wrapped up in that one dowload or do I need to get the other three from elseware?

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ France
Hi
kudos1uk;
I never took care about the required packages.
I always install python-2.5-runtime.

So try out, and inform me on MY forums if You have more details about requirements.
So I will update the documentation page.
---

About Dates:
Today, I installed it.
So my opinion:
- Dates events are very simple : no location fields for example....
- Dates does not support recurrent events, so it is very difficult to sync with Google Calendar (it support many kinds of events)
- Dates uses EDS, there is no serious way to write in EDS with Python
- The Dates operations are very "dark" : We don't know where is the database, I didn't find documentation about EDS, etc...

So, because these reasons, I'm not interested to work on a Dates version of Erminig in the next weeks (September ?... or never ....)

About Contacts :
It is based on EDS, and it is very useful : this is the core of the contacts management on the IT.
But, like Dates, there is no serious way to access to EDS with python.

About GPE Contacts
Like GPE Calendar, it is works with a Sqlite database,
So, It is very easy to work with GPE Contacts.

But :
There is no way to access to Gmail Contacts with the Google APIs.

You will think this post is not a good news.
So a litte gift, th probably roadmap of erminig :
- proxies support
- new nicer interface
- possibility to update all profiles with one click...

David.

Haven't tried google contacts but export from outlook works very easily..

export your contacts as comma seperated values, .csv files...

GPE Contacts will import these with no problems...

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
My version of GPE Contacts permits import of VCard only. Is there a version available somewhere with a full import option?

There seems to be several repos around for this app. They are all slightly different and I find it confusing as to which is the best one.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Hey TahitiBob,

Thanks for the informative post...no worries, it is actually good to hear *why* somethings just won't/don't work! C'est la vie! I agree, don't bother with Dates, or Google Contacts...there are a lot of other really cool apps you could/should be working on.

So, carry on with the good work and keep us posted!

Cheers and peace,

Phillip

Originally Posted by Bree View Post
Has anyone got Erminig running on the 770?

I have it installed. everything seems to be working
it accesses google calendar
but nothing is written to GPE calendar...
My friend is having this issue on her n770. Sometimes it will appear to access everything fine, but upon inspecting GPE Calendar, no changes have been made. Other times the app will hang and the n770 needs to be rebooted.

I installed Erminig on my n800 and it worked perfectly.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by Tu13es View Post
My friend is having this issue on her n770. Sometimes it will appear to access everything fine, but upon inspecting GPE Calendar, no changes have been made. Other times the app will hang and the n770 needs to be rebooted.

I installed Erminig on my n800 and it worked perfectly.

Any ideas?
After playing around some more it may be that the issue occurs with repeated occurrences with a set stop date. I haven't narrowed it to that yet, but I've gotten other calendars to sync fine on this n770.

Hrm...

EDIT: Yup, this was definitely the issue. Any plans to try and fix this, David? Would be very useful if it's possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tu13es; 2007-07-05 at 12:47.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ France
Please send to me the debug log. (david.hautbois @ free.fr)
My forums are more usefull to report issues :
http://david.hautbois.free.fr/joomla...oard&Itemid=48