Active Topics

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
lol what. i never owned a iphone and never will. my girlfriend and a few friends of mine own them.ANYWAY the iphone is good at what it does but i will never own it. i can give a 1000000 reasons why lol. jesus the iphone is a toy lol a pritty toy. lol funny. dont get the idea im a Apple fanboy, EVER lol lol lol always acknowledge what your enemy does so you can do it better......... lol. a ****** can be nice and pritty but hes still a ****** lol get it???

i also said i want meeGo because of the debate happening at the moment, and nokias way of releasing buggy firmware but maybe with MeeGo, nokia and intel together it might be better... well see

crapp UI???? lol didnt realise they were gonna build an OS with S60 in mind.

and by the way the friend of mine who showed me the iphone multitasking look pritty good. not slow AT ALL even when switching out of games. lol.

ay stop having a go at people guys. all friends here.

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-02-22 at 15:18.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
No I haven't. I´m not interested in some pictures i´m just asking that:
"So you *can* use Skype, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, ICQ etc while browsing multiple webpages with music running in the background?"
Nothing less nothing more. Yes or no?

dont shoot me but pritty much YES. and dont forget i hate the iphone. i hope one day it goes away but for now every second person still has one and apple is killing it. very concerning

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I just want to point out that these discussions don't need to be so.. sentimental and emotional.

If you can't distance yourself enough from the 'goods' and think straight, consider yourself a zealot or a fanboy

What happens usually is that you will use charged languages without realizing it and things will go down the drain quickly.

The discussions will almost always be biased. You'll show the best side of your camp and pitch it against the worst sides of your counterpart.

Unfair comparisons and discussions = what's the point?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
I understand that the iPhone is loved by many, reviled by some and for the masses just there. Its a good phone with some very good features, made possible by a VERY closed OS and processor model. In truth if I just needed a phone and nothing more I would have picked up a Nexus, androids close on apples six atm and give just half the time it took for the iphone to mature the android will overtake it. especially given the product cycle apple likes to stick too, innovate once and recycle the idea for five or six years.

Anyhow what I DID need from my occasional phone was the follow to which apple can't deliver.

- Straight up video and audio playback, no conversions, special downloads ... license issues etc ... just move to the drive and play. I regularly watch family guy and other shows just by copying them to the phone and playing them [no conversions and thus no time wasted]. Audio's the same way.

- True multitasking, did not like the palms background app state store method so its not any better on an even more expensive device. I like on the fly switching between apps, do it alot more that I thought once give the option. This is why for the longest time I used WM6.1

- Open Source, meaning if the company hasn't fix it someone in the community will and guess what I won't have to upgrade to the next letter just to get it. Also apps are easily enough ported from various other Linux projects to Maemo [Debian cored]. Loving ssh'ing in to the phone too [makes all the tweaks so much easier]. The very fact its open source leads to things like easy-debian running on it ... very useful to me and not something an iPhone can even come close to doing.

As a device its met my needs fine, no hardware issues and no software issues I did not myself cause. There are iPhone users all around me and many stop and look at what it can do, even browsing and talk about how nice it looks and responds. On that not without 3G connection how does one get the browsing experience right? 2G Would be slow and "laggy" on any device I know used it for years on my JasJar.

Phone calls have been clear and easy to manage so far and with a blue tooth I haven't really felt like the phone park of the N900 has problems. MMS Will come in time, but in truth I don't even use it.

As too perceived speed of processing, if you have only one thing to do at a time and everything's already indexed on your device then you will do it fast. Thats the advantage of a closed OS with a very specialized processor scheme and file management scheme. The N900 by the very nature that it lets you tamper with anything on it is more like a laptop or mid device, it has to for the briefest of seconds do a head count on occasion. Sometimes I am running five apps at once and so it has to keep up with all of them at one.

Well I move on, not a fanboy either just dont like being a sheep. iPhone's a good phone not the best, N900's a rocking tablet and a usable phone. Comes down to product awareness I guess.

All this is assuming your not jail breaking your iPhone, and if you have to "break" the phone to get these features is it really worth the hardware strain and small gains to do it? Not even going to talk about battery costs and other proprietary issues that come with breaking the phone.

2 cent

Last edited by Scottlfa; 2010-02-22 at 17:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottlfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
@Scottfa,

So true bud so true, I feel you man.

@Scottfa,

lol what he said

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Scottlfa View Post
I
Phone calls have been clear and easy to manage so far and with a blue tooth I haven't really felt like the phone park of the N900 has problems. MMS Will come in time, but in truth I don't even use it.
MMS is already possible via fral's fMMS app.
Nokia(qgil) has now marked MMS issue as resolved.
They will not be adding native MMS support on N900.

Update: I swear I saw qgil post it somewhere but can't find that post. lol.
Seems status might have been changed back to In Development.
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/mms_support/

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-02-23 at 02:08.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
is cool mms is a little used function on my linux dynamo. got easy-debian going too now ... so more fun

omg. i was helping my brother set up his iphone and i just had a play with it.

after a few minutes i realised how bad the iphone/itunes and the who apple control situation is. im so glad i own a n900 even more. the iphone is such a toy its amazing. i cant belive the world doesnt see it. maaannn so much restriction and control its acctually funny. wouldnt even own one if it was free.

by the way i also hate captive screens even more!!!!!! i really hope the n910 doesnt have captive or i wont buy it, im ssooo serious about this. only can use ur skin??? its so stupid.I WANT A STYLUS

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GID123 View Post
basically you cannot compare these two devices, they are complete different...the N900 is really the smallest computer you could buy with a phone function, and the iphone is a phone with good features such as a music player and okay browser...you might be better comparing a netbook with the n900, but again the netbook does not have the phone function.
Of course you can compare them. They are mainly used for the exact same things: Web-browsing, mail, im, sms, phone calls, gaming... What it boils down to is which device gives the better final user-experience. The iPhone is smaller, fluider and faster, but doesn't have keyboard or multitasking. The N900 is bigger, has a keyboard, true multitasking, but delivers a much choppier experience where stuff is always lagging a little and sometimes a lot. Bottom line. For me, I'd go with the N900, which I did, but for most people, the iPhone by far gives the better end user experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post: