Active Topics

generally I use the cifs.ko method posted here with a share on my PC.

Usually scp and occasionally cifs.

Sometimes I use "WinScp", available here
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Sometimes I use the command line scp, or sftp from putty.

Note: the dropbear-server only supports scp, but openssh supports both scp and sftp (and WinScp - a sftp client for windows).

So uninstall dropbear, and get openssh instead.

I finally got samba to work, but it was a pain!!!

First download this file for the N800:

http://handhelds.org/~fanoush/maemo/...06.51-6.tar.gz

Second unpack it somewhere, and do a
insmod cifs.ko

then do:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=YourUser,password=Yourpassword //YourIPaddress/Yoursharename /mnt/Yourmountpoint

For some reason, installing smbfs,smbclient, and doing a
"mount -t smbfs " doesn't work.
I had to download the cifs module instead.

That is really frustrating. Half of the apps you download
for the N800, do not work out of the box. You have to search through a ton of threads to figure out how to get apps to work. That is so lame.

I tried FolderShare a few times. basically using the browser over the internet to access all my files on my PC

SCP mostly, or fish:// in Konqueror under KDE on the desktop. If I need faster, I use a USB reader and put it on a card.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I have sshfs (on top of fuse) running on my Linux laptop and opensshd running on the N800. Usually I explicitly mount the N800 somewhere but I also have afuse running so I can let it handle the details if I want to copy something quick before I head out the door. One of the really nice things is that I don't really have to worry about cleanly unmounting sshfs. It seems to "do the right thing" if it loses the connection (retries for a while, then gives up and unmounts itself). All this is setup with "passwordless" authentication so I don't have to type my password a million times. offtopic: I really need to setup scratchbox and get fuse.ko and a couple filesystems (usmb,fusesmb,sshfs,copyfs,encfs) compiled up for the N800. sshfs and fusesmb work on my Zaurus C1000 so I know there shouldn't be any ARM specific issues...

-JohnX

I bluetooth push to my phone and then use the file manager to copy to the n770...

takes about a right-click and a click on the computer.

Then copy using file manager.... about 5 touches to the screen...

also had trouble trnsferring from laptop to n770 over bluetooth...