Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
I never really understood how so many people got involved with making the Mer alternative when an open source, portable OS (Android) has been out there, waiting for someone smarter than I to port it to my beloved sidekick in the N810 (unless there is a huge, impassible obstacle).
Android isn't as open source as some users may like.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Android isn't as open source as some users may like.
I would rather see Maemo on an Android Device

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
I wish this project gets completed. I would like to see Android on the n900. Again anything u do install or change is optional and wud be kl to have it as a dual boot device.
I support all the folk that take their time out an put the hard work in to make all these great apps/os/games/mods/hacks etc. Without u guys these devices wud suck!

So keep it up an let us knw wen u aim or hope to have the android os up

The Following User Says Thank You to badboyuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
wowsers! bdogg you are making awesome progress. Are you trying to be a 1 man wrecking crew when it comes to getting this running or are up for help? (not from me The reason I ask is that it seems like you are making a lot of progress yourself but might move even faster with multiple eyes on what you are doing.

Unrelated Rambling:
I never really understood how so many people got involved with making the Mer alternative when an open source, portable OS (Android) has been out there, waiting for someone smarter than I to port it to my beloved sidekick in the N810 (unless there is a huge, impassible obstacle).

I'd rather someone else take over the project honestly, because its just that to me, a project. I'm not even really attempting to get a full blown working android build on the n900. It would be nice, but that's beyond the time and effort I have. I don't care to replace maemo with android, mer or whatever. I just like the option of having them. I'll leave that to the platform zealots. I posted the patches I used to get it working before and will gladly do it again if anyone wants it.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
I am willing to pay for a fully working port and dont doubt that others would too

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by mack07018 View Post
I am willing to pay for a fully working port and dont doubt that others would too
You will never got a fully working port with out more people working on it and alot of time.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
I'd rather someone else take over the project honestly, because its just that to me, a project. I'm not even really attempting to get a full blown working android build on the n900. It would be nice, but that's beyond the time and effort I have. I don't care to replace maemo with android, mer or whatever. I just like the option of having them. I'll leave that to the platform zealots. I posted the patches I used to get it working before and will gladly do it again if anyone wants it.

one thing for sure is more people are needed in this project, i suggest a wiki or a form to be made as a home for this project and everything you have done so far you can post as a tutorial for users on how they would install android on their phones, and I'm sure more will contribute and we can all work together to make it happen. and as for me I'm willing to help you out with it .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmy For This Useful Post:
maybe if there are more incentives...more people will be more willing to help...for example..over at xda...every rom dev. ask for donation like that's their only source of income....no offense to them at all..Just saying...they ARE putting a lot of their time on it....I donated to a couple of the devs that create ROMs I used....they work really hard too....

azz the only problem with that is what comes first the chicken or the egg. While I wouldn't mind tossing some money to the devs that bring my N810 new life, I would want a working product before I did so. So you have to convince a devs that the money will be there if they complete the project.

We can start a running donation tab somehow that would get paid if the project ever gets completed and maybe bribe some people into the project. Not sure how to go about it but I'm sure there is a safe, logical legal way

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
I always liked the project bounty idea, put up amounts of money for different areas of the OS. Someone gets cell network and phone functionality working then they get X amount, and X is more then Y amount for something like the lock switch. It lets devs know where the end user wants them to focus and gives them a hard cash prize for reaching certain goal posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread