Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I know nothing about WP7 but I have experience with windows pocket pc, ppc2002 wm2003, wm5 and wm6. There is the same alarm bug from the first ppc to the wm5. The problems with activesync are the same in all those editions. Every new version has significantly LESS features than the one it replaces. Things they removed include: wifi syncing, sketching in pocket office, handwritten notes in contacts etc.
Input is so dated (no fullscreen kb, no internationalization) and the plugin system for new input methods is probably buggy as every 3rd party input app I have used hangs the device up. The UI and browser are exactly the same since 2002 making the vendors create full replacement shells, a thing that creates unnecessary redundancy - and confusion "why the contacts app is different when I launch it through the messaging app?", "why do I have 2 menus?" Microsoft should dictate the hardware, because there is a history of WM running in underpowered devices (ti omap 850 200mhz) and causing user frustration. I hope all these are new in wp7, but seeing where ms is heading to, I don't see enough innovation on their behalf, just trying to maintain their monopoly on the desktop systems, and using that to get users buy their other products too. Still many people see my N900 and ask "Does it run Windows Mobile?" and when I say "of course not" they turn around disappointed. And again what's their marketshare? near-zero.
________
Web Shows

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:24.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Well, it's good to hear that Microsoft has managed to make a useable UI, but after looking on some of the pictures and videos, it is quite weird to me.

Look at this image. My problem: the "screen" is so much bigger than the display resoultion that the big captions just don't fit. So in a menu, only 3-4 letters of the title can be seen at a time, which is in my opinion quite annoying. I like the panoramic desktop idea of Maemo 5 much better!

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
This didnt really impress me. I still prefer maemo.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
What's the difference between Zune Pass at $15 a month and Rhapsody?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
http://jkontherun.com/2010/03/16/win...om-the-iphone/

Can anyone give any logical explanation of MS' strategy here?

Even Apple is already moving away from some of its artificial walls/crutches on their upcoming mobile OS update..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Can anyone give any logical explanation of MS' strategy here?
Monkey See Monkey Do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCmn...rom=PL&index=4
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03...one_7_details/

And the more recent news of no copy and paste...

I think it looks nice. Gaming will be awesome on it.

If only the N900 had more made-for games..

microsoft for the first time does seem to have produced a great mobile OS UI. I do think a lot of people will buy wp7 devices. I for one want to keep my n900 for atleast couple of years. Let touch screen UIs develop and mature

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Obviously someone at Microsoft woke up to the fact that mobile is the next computing frontier.

That's okay-- they were late to the internet, too.