Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Manila,Philippines
MAYBE the iPhone's music player is better; I really can't decide, especially since the N900 doesn't have a built-in equalizer.

The funny thing is I basically use iTunes to load my music onto my N900 since I use Salling Media Sync (it works for the Moto Milestone too, in case you're interested to know).

I will say, though, that the N900's built-in speakers are MUCH better than the iPhone's or iPod Touch's. The apple devices' speakers are tinny and sound cheap.

In fact, I played TuneBase FM using the iPhone 3GS side by side with the N900 and even WITHOUT an amp, the N900 sounded WAY, WAY better. They were playing the exact same stream but the iPhone sounded like it was playing something for chipmunks.

I know that few people really listen to their music using the built-in speakers but considering how expensive an iPhone is without a contract, that's unacceptable.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Just an update on how its going so far

I saw lot of posts about the N900 being more open but once you jailbreak the iphone, it opens up a whole lot more. Obviously this is not a proper solution since Apple is against it and theres always the worry of it being "unjailbroken" again (with apple updates etc.)

one thing I didnt like about the browser is that if you're on a page and go back to the home screen (or another app), and then go back to the browser, it refreshes the page. There are some pages where there is a countdown timer so once you refresh it, you have to wait all over again. But I think that can be solved with the "proswitcher" app. Thanks for the tip by the way, ill try that out.

I guess I was wrong about the backgrounder app, its not a real appswitcher, it pauses the app. But the proswitcher looks nice, ill see how that goes.

Another thing is that the "settings" seems to hold the settings for all the apps you have. For example, if you wanted to change the EQ in the music player, you have to go to the settings and change it. And if you wanted to add en email account, you go to the settings. It would be a lot more simple and easier if we could do everything in the apps themselves. (Like how it is on pretty much every other smartphone out there)

The battery life is also not as good as people may think. It lasted me only a few hours longer than the N900, its still something that you would have to charge every night (which isnt a problem for me, but for many it is. But I bought the phone used so I ordered a new battery so im gonan try that out and see if it makes a difference.

I also miss that little status bar thing on the n900 that brings up the quick menu. Even though theres an app for it on the iphone, it doesnt seem as good as the N900 has it.

And like jpbl said, apples speakers sound cheap, but then again, Nokia always has the best speakers so anything will sound cheap against them.

Lastly, ive installed about 40 or 50 apps so far and still no lag. I dont get any "no memory" messages either. I never understood what that was all about anyways, do apple developers automatically optify their apps? Does iphone even need any optifying? Why dont the N900 developers optify their apps from the beginning...

Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
one thing i also noticed on iphone....when u zoom the image sharpness maintained....not so on N900
Could you be more specific? Do you mean on, say, the text of a webpage? Or an image in picture viewer? Or are you discussing just the screen-image quality in general?

Zoomed text in N900's browser stays razor-sharp - it is the best reading experience I have ever had on an LCD screen of any kind, including PC monitors. As for images, all images on any screen/computer/phone/camera lose sharpness when zoomed, so I don't see how it could be any different on an iPhone.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
A nice review, and true. What really bites is that N900 has the ability to scroll down the darned lists as smooth as can be, it's not N900 or even Maemo that sucks at it, but the blasted native player/file manager/whatever.

A bit of optimization will not hurt, people. Come on, I know N900 can do it. I wouldn't be frustrated if iPhone would be better but it's not, hardware-wise it stinks real bad, but they finished their apps before publishing, Nokia didn't.

Most of the choppiness and most of the issues could be fixed via software update.

It's like being in a Ferrari and being overtaken by a Volvo because you have mismatched injection. Five liter engine coughing like a bad case of swine flu.

Ferrari Beta. Frustrating.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
ndi,
But N900 has real multitasking and Flash! Asking for smooth album list scroll or photo gallery scroll is just too much. You should buy iphone! Things like that use battery so actually you should use only CLI :P

Not really. Just making fun

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
The latest apple patch apparently kills jailbreaking. 3.1.3, which is bad for those that didnt know and those that fubar'd their JB iphone which forces the update if you werent prepared.

I have a 2G which did, but a little work can revert a JB 2G and 3G back to a 3.1.2 firmware under the guise of the 3.1.3 update, which may be the last JB attempt before 4.0 release.

Flash viewing and able to send/receive skype calls on the n900 is what makes owning it priceless for my own reasons. My friends on the iphone still get drops with skype on the ATT network or no connection at all...lol.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Yea I agree with the raddg, the signal on the iphone is horrible, I only get 1 bar at my house, and I got full bars with the n900. The wifi is also very weak (ive tried all the router mods, they help, but still arent as fast as I would like) I havent got past 400kbps with wifi, while with the N900 (and most other smartphones) I got 1mbps and up. Ive tried this one 4 different routers, and all are the same.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Waleed786 - The iPhone uses a more centralized file system than the N900, in that the entire OS runs off the root, no separated partitioning. Where as the N900 uses a classic Linux partition scheme. This reflects the way each company view Linux or Linux like OS use. Apple modified the FreeBSD in some very closed ways and the iPhone reflects this way of altering the OS behavior. Where as Nokia seems to have approached it from the much more purist point of view, thus making the device very familiar to anyone who has mucked around on the console for more than a few minutes.

In doing that Nokia has allowed for a great deal of flexibility. The power user can do many "normal" Linux file related tasks. The root partition isn't meant to be the "working" day to day partition on most Linux systems. The /home and /usr are usually setup in separated partitions. The big "No Memory" issue comes from using up the small root, simply moving various parts of the /var and /usr/share folders clears this up nicely. With far less chance of causing issues like JB'ing an iPhone. Would be nice if an app was made to do exactly this a nice gui for end users to clear there root folder.

Remember the N900 is more akin to a micro-mid and not a phone. Its file system, memory management and capabilities reflect this. The iPhone is a phone and in turn its guts reflect that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottlfa For This Useful Post:
IPhone 3GS or Nokia N900 ?

In the dark forest of the world what peace of mind can they bring you?
Its time to stop now.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
I have so many things to say i don't know where to begin.

the browser on the iphone is not a real browser like the one on the n900, which can display ANY webpage that was designed for a PC. (like google maps, and street view). it also doesn't have Flash which many websites use. so it doesn't really display normal internet content.

but the thing that disturbs me the most is that apple won't let you install whatever software you want on the device you bought (so it doesn't really belong to you). you paid for it, you shouldn't have to jailbreak it in order to install applications.

iphone have many applications, that's true, but a great deal of these are applications what don't really do anything. (many of them probably took the developer a week of work).

consider there's a company who wants to improve your like by making an application that will help you do things. buy begging the development of the application they are taking a huge risk, maybe apple will reject the application (they can't really know that in advance since apple don't follow or publish any guidelines).
counting only on the distribution channels of cydia is not the same, since many of their potential customers will not jailbreak their phones (ordinary consumers who aren't so technical).

so that poses a limitation on the amount of third party applications available for iphone (ones that actually took some development effort).

also since apple charge money for publishing something on the app store, free / open-source software teams and people working on their own free time to provide consumers with great software, will not allocate the 'budget' to publish the software.

I urge you to read an article i wrote carrying this subject:
Smart-phone Operating Systems and how they affect the availability of third party applications, thus making devices less useful for consumers.
http://giantmitzy.com/articles/smart...g_systems.html

if you have any thoughts on the matter (application framework), you can post them here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46227