Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Yesterday in class i got bored and opened a youtube video.... considering that the phone was already in silent mode. But to my horror the audio blared in full volume and everyone looked at me.... so i had to rush out of the class.

So how to get full silent mode when we put it on silent? I know reducing the volume on the status bar is one way.... but i thought silent mode was supposed to be completely silent.

Is this a bug or a feature request?

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Yours is basically a feature request, since there are many apps that can't output any sound while in silent mode and that is considered a bug (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6694).

You can file an enhancement request in Bugzilla for adding a "complete silent profile", but it will be INVALID IMO

The Following User Says Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Incoming e-mail is also signalled by sound in "silent" mode.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I think silent mode means that all kinds of ringtones(as in when someones ringing) are inactivated, not system-wide silence. For that you have to slide the volume to 0(in the status bar). It's probably up to each app to detect if silent mode is activated and output sound accordingly..

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by R.Habrat View Post
Incoming e-mail is also signalled by sound in "silent" mode.
This is not true, at least it has never happened to me. Regarding system notifications and most of its not-multimedial apps, silent profile is a true silent profile.

mplayer is also silent in silent mode.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
So I think that for silent profile it should set volume also down. It would make sense. Silent is mute not half mute.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
torpedo48: "This is not true, at least it has never happened to me."

To be precise, you have never noticed the sound of incoming e-mail in silent mode.

I have noticed it many times.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Antwerp, Belgium
Originally Posted by R.Habrat View Post
torpedo48: "This is not true, at least it has never happened to me."

To be precise, you have never noticed the sound of incoming e-mail in silent mode.

I have noticed it many times.
That's odd... I've never experienced that. My phone has never made a sound when it received an email while in silent mode. And it receives quite some emails in this mode on average... I just tested it out by putting it in silent and awaiting some mails, when it received them it vibrated but never made a sound.
(I also checked my "general volume" - the one that's modified by the volume keys - and it's somewhere half way, so that can't be the reason it's silent either...). In my experience too the phone really is silent for system notifications when it's put in 'silent' mode (but not in games or most multimedia apps, for example).

Dries

-- Loving my N900 and the Maemo community since Feb. 2010!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Most other smartphones completely silence the device in this mode. Optionally passes some types of sound to vibrate (alarms, ringtones, system warnings).

This behavior makes more sense, as you want the profile to control your device depending on the (real life) situation you're in; not just the phone portion of your device.

Silence = cinema, shows, meetings, etc.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
hands, trembling