Active Topics

We need to thank Apple for the iPhone or the mobile market wouldn't have looked like it does today. No Android nor Maemo, only boring (but still good) Symbian, Windows CE and sonyericssons old UIQ (based on Symbian).

Now we have Maemo, coming Meego, Android, W7, Bada all thanks to Apple.

What Apple has done is fascinating and i still think they should have lots of creds for that. I would personally never ever want to own an iPhone at the current state but they surely have driven up the market A LOT.

And also, $1 for a full game like Angry Bird. Pff, was it like that before? Can it get better?

The Following User Says Thank You to eikido For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA, Maine
The key to success is clearly finding a way to make sure developers can get paid or they will not be interested. Not sure how it works on Symbian but with the N900 the Ovi store is still weak, if there is a way to buy an app from the store, I have not found it. The following article seems germane to this, especially since Nokia is not mentioned. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10459753-1.html

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Hehe.

N97 users want Symbian^3 on there phones (See comments after article)

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...-by-end-of-q1/

I can see a pattern emerging ... Top of the line models users are expecting Nokia to upgrade phone to next version software.

In my opinion it's only fair.
These users are paying big money for something which is evolving, which in the next iteration will be middle of the line and better suited to the expectations of the users.

From a economic point of view it doesn't make any sense.
From a "creating a solid client base" point of view, it makes perfect sense.
I am one of those people that want Symbian ^3 on the N97 because it isn't that great the way it is right now..

Heck, even Anssi Vanjoki admits it was a disappointment..

http://noknok.tv/2010/02/24/nokia-ad...ver-nokia-n97/

A lot of people here are missing the point of the article which is: "Nokia fell because it didn't evolve fast enough" in other words they didn't care to take a risk to bring something totally new to the market.

The reason why Iphone was so popular was not because of it's high power or apps (It sold even before it was released). It was simply because it had a huge screen and a wicked design. People were thinking "oh I can watch movies with it anywhere I want". In other words its first impression was that it was the king of the hill - the best.

What Nokia needs to do is to stop being a copy-cat and start doing what apple has done (Nokia has done it before!): Make something new and revolutionary. Just make that touchscreen system look like crap compared to something new and revolutionary for example.

Also apple has the most fanatic customer base on the planet earth. Actually it is so fanatic that term "ifan" surely sounds familiar to everybody. Nokia customer's seem to feel like they're left alone after buying the phone and this is something that really needs to be taken a look at. Part of the solution could be to provide requested features as commercial applications.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoxzer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Reading through the thread, I noticed one word which, to me, defines Apple versus Nokia (Symbian, Maemo, or Meego):

Slick

The iPhone, when it first came out and you had no apps at all, still looked and worked slick compared to the competition. While there are fart apps now, there are also many apps in the iPhone store that can truly be called slick. If you've ever been to an Apple store, it's slick.

Nokia hasn't been slick since at least the 1011 or 7110 which, at the time, were pretty slick. Now they seem content to copy other companies and experiment with not quite ready for prime time devices like the N900.

Hopefully they can get back to innovating. Whether through their alliance with Intel or their rack mounted analysts, I don't care.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=22

Last edited by DaveP1; 2010-02-25 at 21:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
As one who has developed several apps for Diablo and ported several others I must say that Nokia has a long way to go to make life easier for the developer. When I started it took me over a week to get scratchbox setup configured and working properly and start to be able to develop.
I just recently started on Android. WOW! What a difference. Download their SDK's and Eclipse and in an hour I was working their sample programs and using their emulator.
I do prefer Qt and C++ over Java but Google has obviously spent a lot of money and effort making life easy for developers (I assume this is true of Apple as well). I can't say the same for Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Forsberg For This Useful Post:
An additional thought. Both Google and Apple are really software houses where as Nokia is not in my opinion. I feel maybe this has something to do with it. Apple and Google better understand what developers needs are.

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
So if Nokia had a policy of upgrading old phones to the latest software, their loyal customers would be more inclined to upgrade to the latest phones and ditch their old phones
If they charged a reasonable rate for an upgraded OS I think myself and many others would be intrested even if they were our second phones or to be handed/sold on etc.

Surely making sure Phones have a good sell on or keep as 2nd device value is important to many when deciding what Phone to purchase.