Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
OK Nokia I can forgive you for trying and not making the deadline (Skype) but it is very hard to forgive you for being inconsiderate of your customers' expectations, by being silent, that were based on your implied promise.

Now I am not going to throw my N800 out the window but it makes me more keen to companies that make their customers number 1 in their policies.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I think we'll need Texrat to start entertaining waiting folks here... I'm feeling the impatience growing...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
*sigh*

I have to be completely blunt and agree with the sentiments expressed by heavyt and others. I do not understand the secrecy. Not for on OS. Not for applications. Heck, how far in advance did Apple leak info about the iPhone? And how long have we been hearing official taunts of its impending release?

I don't get it. But, don't be disillusioned if/when today turns out not to be the day. The update IS coming, and VERY soon. The OS will contain elements that will make many people happy, and those hungry for applications won't be disappointed either. Just hang on a little longer.

And this won't be the last update for the N800, either.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
also, this is not like docking the spaceshuttle into the international spacestation. It s ok to allow some flexibility. This was announced in January right? so it s at least a 6 month project, maybe 10? we re talking of 25-50 weeks. let s take 30 weeks.

If the update is delayed by one full week, it s like if your 6 hours flight (NYC-London) is delayed by 12 minutes.

Of course there should be an annoucement. "Flight ITOS 2007 due to arrive at end-of-Q2 will be delayed by xx minutes" but I m not going to file a complain if it arrives 12 mn late without announcement. I can even give 15 mn.

Last edited by Seb Per; 2007-06-29 at 17:50.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh*

I have to be completely blunt and agree with the sentiments expressed by heavyt and others. I do not understand the secrecy. Not for on OS. Not for applications. Heck, how far in advance did Apple leak info about the iPhone? And how long have we been hearing official taunts of its impending release?

I don't get it. But, don't be disillusioned if/when today turns out not to be the day. The update IS coming, and VERY soon. The OS will contain elements that will make many people happy, and those hungry for applications won't be disappointed either. Just hang on a little longer.

And this won't be the last update for the N800, either.
That's because Apple lives and dies on its hype machine and Apple drones. They'll do anything to whip people up into a frenzy.

I would love to have the update now... but the truth is that Nokia never stated that June 29th would be the official day for the firmware release. They said end of H1 for Skype. I'd say if Skype gets released within the next two weeks, they've met their promise.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Perhaps it taking longer than everyone expected is a good thing. They have not delivered a good update ever, as far as I am concerned. Its like nobody QA's this stuff, and in two years, still the same crappy email client UGH! @#$%^%.

Hopefully, this is finally going to show some polish, it would be about time.

another way of saying it:

the sweetest fruits are the ones that take the longest to ripen

I know it s cynical, but a good laugh is better than moaning...I can t resist to copy paste this ad:

Business Group: Multimedia
Primary Function: R&D Software

Error Manager / Quality Assurance

Please notice that there are only 5 days left to apply for this position.

Position Description:

Does the thought of gaining invaluable experience with the one of the world’s most innovative companies interest you? If so, why not join us at Multimedia in Helsinki, Finland, as an Error Manager/Quality Assurance. In this position, which is to cover a parental leave between August 2007 and April 2008, you will support our software team to ensure that software defects are identified and solved. In order to ensure the timely and efficient progression and resolution of software defects, you will also work closely with software developers. It will be another key part of your remit to report status and trends to our project managers. Last but not least, you will coordinate communication with other development teams in matters related to software defects.

Requirements:

Your toolbox of skills includes a technical background and ideally previous experience in error management and/or quality assurance. We also appreciate your familiarity with defect tracking tools, especially with Bugzilla. What’s more, you have a solid grasp of software packaging (debian), integration, and testing, particularly with open source software. It will also help your application stand out if you are comfortable interacting with open source communities and understand the related practices and licenses.

Needless to say, you are always eager to ensure top quality and are service oriented with a flair for communicating ideas. On top of this, you are a good motivator who can work within strict deadlines and quality guidelines. To integrate effectively into our cosmopolitan multicultural working environment, you are also fluent in written and spoken English. If you have the qualities we are looking for, assure yourself of exciting new challenges by applying today.

Business Unit Description:

Nokia Multimedia brings mobile multimedia to consumers in the form of advanced mobile devices and applications. Our products have innovative features and functionality such as imaging, games, music, media and a range of other attractive content. OSSO, the Open Source Software Operation, is building a software platform based on maemo for mobile devices, using Linux and other open source technologies within concrete product programs, like Nokia 770, or N800.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I'm also disappointed about the fact that Nokia has not stated anything about the release schedules. Not even to developers. It would be very good to know the release schedule some time in advance so that development efforts could be focused on the few days after the release. This way developers could check their programs and get firmware compatible versions out as soon as possible. Developers would be happy, end users would be happy and no-one would waste their time waiting for the release to happen every other week.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
#1-I think its safe to say at this point that it'll be out when it's ready so quit holding your breath already because your'e just gonnna turn purple and croak. #2-We all have a great time zone calculator app right on the desktop just tap your clock and choose various destination cities. Oh and #3-Don't even for a second do you want to compare Nokia's firmware release's to ANY console or PC gaming release dates..

Last edited by TTgowings; 2007-06-29 at 18:15.