Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kakos View Post
QUIT TEASING US YOU HORRIFIC TEMPTOR OF TECHNOLOGY!
as a trade-off is a ratio, here quality improvement / time delay, Texrat can mean it may not.be the quality affecting the ratio in a positive way.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I just posed the question for you guys on the maemo list... lazy bums.

Originally Posted by Seb Per View Post
as a trade-off is a ratio, here quality improvement / time delay, Texrat can mean it may not.be the quality affecting the ratio in a positive way.
Ack! No more!

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Maybe they will release the firmware at 6 : 00 EST just in time for iPhone launch in the United States. 22 Minutes left. :-)

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
They should be telling people what most of the rest of the Open Source world uses as a mantra ... "it will be ready when it is ready".
The point of the more experienced of us here, though, is that Nokia can't *possibly* use a line like that and claim "it's the open source way" without. being. more. open.

Now I'd absolutely love it if the process of QAing a release, the timescales, the features etc. were open. Slippage then would be fine: we'd carry on using the last release candidate with all the known bugs.

Treating a firmware upgrades like hardware releases is foolish. Doubly so for a supposedly open device.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It just occurred to me when I read Andrew's post: until the hardware and software are truly "divorced", and we have a higher level of hardware abstraction, OS development is still too tightly tied to device development. Once the abstraction situation improves, maybe then Nokia will relax on OS/software announcements...

But remember: the platform will never and can never be 100% open.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Indeed, and at least Nokia are moving in that direction, with the separation of maemo.org content and tablet-devs.nokia.com.

Reuse of Maemo on other devices, such as MID and Hildon in UME will definitely help here.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I just posed the question for you guys on the maemo list... lazy bums.

Ack! No more!
of course one has to understand that the data - here time and performance- are of probabilistic nature, with a Gauss distribution. the gradient of the curve of d(perf)/ d(t) is determining factor for the people in charge to make decision when the optimum ratio will be reached

meaning = no one knows when this damn update will come out for sure ,

its like looking at a cake in the oven. who can tell it will be perfectly baked in 3.5675665 mn?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Seb Per View Post
but they have been delayed more than once. n95, n92, ...
i agree communication skills are not their strong point.
this being said, this forrum is an excellent feedback source for improvement. so all complains welcome.
Well, I am not so involved in Nokia products (I had several phones, and I am currently using an 6310i for my work), and I know N76 has been delayed several times (you cannot imagin the whining of one of my colleagues... ) but, you know.. Each one looks at his own garden..

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But remember: the platform will never and can never be 100% open.
Why?

De-integrate Opera and Flash, let them be installable, optional, packages.

De-integrate the proprietary drivers and use open source / freely available ones where possible: again provide them as kernel modules that link in to binary blobs, just like the Centrino projects. This allows for the kernel interface to be maintained and the driver to be improved even in a closed-source environment.

Take out the branding and images or limit it to what Nokia's willing to give away for free.

...is there something else I'm missing here?

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Well, I am not so involved in Nokia products (I had several phones, and I am currently using an 6310i for my work), and I know N76 has been delayed several times (you cannot imagin the whining of one of my colleagues... ) but, you know.. Each one looks at his own garden..
yes everyone wants to believe in perfection: short timing, high performance, low cost. its idealistic, and generate frustration.

afterall, the press release said ''is EXPECTED to be released by H1''. this is blurry , on purpose.