Closed Thread
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Hi, I have not read the entire 61 page thread. Is the USB OTG crippled on this device and I have fall back to a n810?
The USB OTG is non-existent on the N900 - there's something in the USB specs which prohibits USB OTG with charging, or without supplying power, or something like that. Anyway, the USB chipset in the N900 is (apparently) not wired up to allow enabling host mode at all.

Just read this article from the maemo mailing list. I have added it here in case it was missed:-

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/55703

The Following User Says Thank You to noone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Although fun, this is not really the solution most are looking for! This is pretty much the same as plugging an N900 and USB flash/hard drive into a PC and dragging files from one drive to another, using the PC as USB host. I think most people here are looking to be able to connect USB devices directly to an N900, carrying a minimum amount of extra equipment.
Are we dealing here with a portable-computing question of how to bring the N900's powers of processing and display to bear on data that it must communicate by USB connection with a relatively dumb gadget like a hard drive or a printer?

Or do we have a pride-of-ownership question in which new owners seek affirmation that their expensive purchase doesn't need any help from the last-year-but-one model, thank you? (Much less the 2005 model.)

clearly what i have read on here n900 cannot do USB OTG(hardware limitation?) so why is this thread still going on and on?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
clearly what i have read on here n900 cannot do USB OTG(hardware limitation?) so why is this thread still going on and on?
people likes talking, and this is talk.maemo.org so its fine

seriously, officially its a no-go, and here we are searching for a workaround. the best efforts (of kernel debug) appears to be in a dead end, sadly

then, usb over ip efforts are in their own thread now

Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Well, alot of people don't give a damn about USB OTG, but would very much like USB host mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
N900 uses an integrated Mentor Graphics OTG controller * (musb
mhdrc ) but hardware is acording wiki nxp isp 1707 **.
When a hacked cable ( a mode) is plugged into usb port on vbus it can detect a voltage pulse coming from n900. This is part of usb otg signaling protocol. Also on /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode we can read a_idle
until now we have :
1) ID pin state is transmited to kernel
2) voltage can be applied on vbus
so in my opinion the limitation is only at software level
why nokia coose NXP ( former Philips ) and Mentor Graphics usb kernel Nucleus instead of full TI asics line wich can be suported in desktop like linux I can't understand, meanwhile apple continue to sell crap ifone.
Why Nokia screw usb host mode also i can't understand. Battery charging when usb host mode is selected is possible and with aid an external device host mode can be achieved ( I will ad a link later )
I start digging on datasheets but without nokia support community can't do more.
BTW in otg mode host and peripheral mode can be swaped . Can n900 perform this shift ?

* http://www.mentor.com/products/embed...s/nucleus_usb/
** http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_isp1707

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-02-28 at 21:01.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Damn you for screwing this up, Nokia. Even the f'n Droid can do this while my "mobile computer" can't.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
moto
" Maybe devil is not so black "
aprox google translation from romanian

The Idea
n900 at least can / must perform usb otg. I initiated otg SRP by software as peripherial. With help of an aditional hardware maybe is possible to switch host mode using HNP.
last days I digging on datasheets and try to imagine how to isolate DP / DN signaling from usb stick, hub during HNP & SRP without compromise data lines.
I will dig my old colection of IC and will try to make a functional device
keep fingers crossed

Later edit
SRP session request protocol
HNP host negotiation protonol

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-03-03 at 23:22.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by blue_led View Post
moto
" Maybe devil is not so black "
aprox google translation from romanian

The Idea
n900 at least can / must perform usb otg. I initiated otg SRP by software as peripherial. With help of an aditional hardware maybe is possible to switch host mode using HNP.
last days I digging on datasheets and try to imagine how to isolate DP / DN signaling from usb stick, hub during HNP & SRP without compromise data lines.
I will dig my old colection of IC and will try to make a functional device
keep fingers crossed
Thanks, but what do all those abbreviations mean?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol