Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
@Stskeeps - nice post, very nice post. You all but say that we are moving to a point where the hardware doesn't matter because the inertia from those interested in a community will be able to literally create environments where devices need to simply be seeded by a large co (Nokia, Google, etc.) but the watering happens externally. The hardware, when done right, is easily maintainable by users, and therefore grows along with the capability of the user. Nearly a cyborg (far end) but throwing away the idea of disposable hardware... in the big picture, its revolutionary on all kinds of scales, and you point to it much as Nokia has in many of its recent and conceptual videos.

These are amazing times; and to think, its only the preparations before the big show.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2010-02-25 at 02:57. Reason: added more to last sentence, added link to last sentence

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks for this post Stskeeps. Two things that I have not cleared up in my mind yet is

1. Do you guys still think we will se Flash 10 on Maemo 5? Or does this MeeGo announcement mean they most likely will put their efforts in making a MeeGo Flash 10 version instead? Or does this Qt 4.6 mean that it will work on both?

2. The same goes to Skype Videocall. If Skype is working on videocall function.. would they now stop as Maemo 5 is dead?

Hard to tell Skype and Adobes buisness strategies but what would be the most probobal outcome ?

These are two huge factors that made me very interested in N900. I waited for Skype videocall on the n800 and n810 too and thought now they would definatly pull it off...

372 thanks? Stskeeps FTW! Is that a forum record?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
N900 is the best Nokia I've ever used.. despite the half baked thing though, otherwise it would be the greatest NOKIA

I'd think that the same plugin interface would be used for browser plugins, and that this interface is very similar to desktop linux, and will not change. In other words I don't think it makes any difference at all.

As for skype, since they've already demonstrated video call on n900, and since MeeGo (as in an API) currently does not exist, I'd think they are spending exactly 0 of their resources on MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
You may find this blog post informative:

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Goos post very informative. Had my n900 for a whiole considering jumping on development or not but cant find the time. I hope to god Nokia is intelligent enough to update nmaemo 5 to maemo6 as it looks very promising. Mainly the portrait feature which is LACKING on my n900. Not to say im not going to install meego by the end of this month anyway can't wait for full releaase. J

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Yet another post makes me wish there were a 'double-thanks' button.
Well you could set up another user account to do it.

Let's see if we can get the thanks longer than the post!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
A small update on this original post:

Will Nokia as a hardware vendor continue to provide drivers for N900 for MeeGo and Maemo 6? (Will they devote resources to do this or help community to do this themselves)
Check, for MeeGo - they devote resources to do this themselves.

Will applications coded for MeeGo/Maemo6 be possible to build for Maemo5 with little effort?
Check, for both.. DUI was even shown working on Maemo5.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
be happy, be worry, don't worry, reading is a skill, stskeeps rats, too long?, you're the problem