Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Just knowing, for instance, that the OMAP3 optimised version of Flash Player 10.1 is planned for Maemo5 would be great news and shouldn't be considered a secret as most of the competition (apart from the Cuppertino bandits) already appear to have it pencilled in for their platforms.
We can't happily add to our roadmaps technologies owned by others. In a normal world the first one announcing support plans of Adobe Flash in ARM platforms would be Adobe.

Actually we have a similar situation about other pieces of software owned actually by someone else (e.g. hardware drivers, very relevant any time a new device is coming).

Upgrading the kernel in a standard x86 product (e.g. your laptop) is not exactly the same game than going through the same kernel update supposed to run across ARM / OMAP cutting edge devices with all the drivers in good shape.

In a normal world Nokia would only need to care about taking or licensing those kernel or drivers, but the mobile hardware platforms still don't belong to such a normal world. Hopefully MeeGo will help here, and a lot.

In a MeeGo context it will be clear that companies like Adobe, TI, etc are the ones having the initiative about their support towards that platform. In the Maemo 5 case the story is more blurred and the consequence is us not being able to handle such information easily in roadmaps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Isn't some sort of public roadmap a necessity for MeeGo anyway?
Definitely!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
When a Nokia employee with moderator rights in this forum writes: "Repeated rants will be moved elsewhere." When all his post is a repeated rant that we heard a million times, and concludes with "and clean the many senseless arguments and noise we can read these days among valid and licit doubts and concerns", how is that not a plan for Nokia censoring what they do not want their users to hear?
that made no sense. repeated rants wont apparently be removed so those will be available somewhere @ tmo. and rest of your arguments render useless along with that.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
. No one wants to get stuck with a device that can't be officially upgraded to the next vendor-supported OS.
I want. So better luck next time making such harsh aggravations.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Per discussion in this thread

USB connector issues
Currently the N900 USB detached connector is treated as in warranty case by Nokia Care.

This is about hardware & customer care, and this is all a guy like me can and is willing to discuss here. I hope it was clear though.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
First of all I want to say IU have not followed most of the post on this thread. For me I am not that concerned weather meego makes it to the N900. I got the device because of its advertised set of features. I would rather have most of the bugs fixed. and some things like turn by turn and if possible more portrait support in apps. My concerning is about the future of maemo project as a whole.

It would seem to be that after the initial optimism and excitement that followed the launch of the N900. The news of maemo merging with moblin to form meego is a big anti climax and it further again put a big question mark in Nokia's commitment to maemo (or meego). Currently the mobile space is very crowded and no other OS space is as competitive as the mobile phone space we have android, Iphone OS, windows Mobile, WebOS, Symbian etc all craving for developers mind share. For an OS to survive in this space it needs consistency (among many other things) and solid support and backing of some Big Tech company who is ready to go all the way. They also need to be stable toolkit and sdk well documented which developers can work with when porting their apps. The situation with maemo or meego is so confusing and I really dont see developers wanting to spend their time on that platform. One day we are all looking forward to maemo6 which was suppose to be the last step toward having a consumer ready maemo device. Next thing we know Nokia announces that its scraping maemo and merging it with moblin to form meego. Hence its like Nokia just hit the reset button and everything is back to square one.

For now we are told that meego is just a branding and would infact be maemo6 so they wont be much change to the maemo6 road map. But what happens after maemo6 what are the plans for maemo7 or 8 seriously no one can tell. Right now the Mobile platform with the biggest momentum is android not because its the best but because its has the full backing of google which has been following a consistent road map. Even symbian is safer to develop for than meego. because even though the UI is going through a Revamp The roadmap is clear and has the full backing of Nokia. Meego is a case of the more you look the less you see. Even maemo core developers are not certain about the future of meego.
This does not mean that meego would fail. I dont think so. I think the community would always step up to the plate and as always provide all the apps and cool tools which would make it a compelling device. But I seriously dont see meego making it mainstream anything soon. Not many developers outside the moblin/maemo/linux community would want to bet on it.The much needed commercial app developers ( and even some community developer) would become frustrated and /or confused at the constant shifting of goal post. I love maemo and I want it to succeed. I would defo get a meego device if it is released this year. But I also want a device that is mainstream, I device which could compete with android in term of developer mind share. I device with an app for everything. not just a geek niche device where the community would have to carry all the burden of developing apps for. For me that is the bigger picture that concerns me about meego.

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrovar For This Useful Post:
There is very, very much more openness around the development plans of the Redhat sponsored Fedora (for example) that there is around Maemo/Meego.
Sure, and MeeGo should be as open as Fedora (or your free distro of choice).

Still, are you aware of any Linux OS promising compatibility of new releases in current ARM devices? Because pointing to usual practices in x86 distros doesn't really help understanding what is going on in the ARM side. Get a glance looking at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
@qgil

Thank you for taking the time to respond quickly to questions on this thread. It's greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think a higher degree of engagement with the community council would be a great start.
Yes, that was the intention of the Council. Still, how this would work in practice for this specific case, with the current topic and the current council?

Texrat, you are putting a lot of effort in this thread and in many other hot topics threads. How would a better collaboration with the council help you?

In some cases sharing more information internally helps. We have done it for specific events with a clear purpose and short term deadline, trying to avoid NDAs as much as possible. But here the situation is different. We have several topics crossed in discussions and most of them would require an NDA for a wider purpose and a longer period if we want to move to an internal discussion.

First I don't see the point of such internal discussion since a big part of the problem we can solve is here in the public. Second because the current council members might not be council members soon, which is an additional reason to keep the discussion in the public continuum.

But Texrat, don't get me wrong. You are doing an excellent work trying to connect everybody's interests and fun to discuss and do things together. If you have a concrete proposal the council can push here and now I'm all ears.

Is starting that wiki page too little? The average Talk user is not following this thread post by post anymore and yet here there are some helpful Q&A embedded...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Is starting that wiki page too little? The average Talk user is not following this thread post by post anymore and yet here there are some helpful Q&A embedded...
It's a good start.

Then we have something linkable and can direct users to it.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-03-02 at 09:11.