Active Topics

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by hoppa123 View Post
The most funny thing was. that i went to nokia care center near to my city. i showed it them that even the phone got refresh problems in the screen and it hangs. i had to close the phone and start it again. they see that the phone got problems!!! and what they said..... This N900 is an experimental phone its a firmware issue wich they cant resolve. i just have to wait for new version. can you imagine how angry i was at that point....
what? cannot resolve?? they even NOT tell you that they can send it to another nokia centers for repairs???

usually when a nokia center has no option on fixing a device, they send it to another nokia center with much ability to fix or repairs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
This N900 is an experimental phone its a firmware issue wich they cant resolve. i just have to wait for new version.
What a load of crap! Like they would EXPECT it to work like that.
They must know that this is an isolated case, and that there ARE phones that DO work. It's no excuse to deny a replacement.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Yeah I eluded to the fresh flash not taking. I will look for the posts but I am sure I have read a few where a reflash was done, BUT the old files either remained on the device or free space was miss reported after flash. Will look around

Its a great device and not nearly as beta as people think, more than willing to help .

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
I think the replacement problem is that they view it as somehow the end users mistake due to the very open nature of the device.

Perhaps have them reflash the device and see for themselves? No idea if they would even do that though.

Originally Posted by Scottlfa View Post
Yeah I eluded to the fresh flash not taking. I will look for the posts but I am sure I have read a few where a reflash was done, BUT the old files either remained on the device or free space was miss reported after flash. Will look around

Its a great device and not nearly as beta as people think, more than willing to help .
I love the device!!! i wish only that i had better support from nokia on the hardware side of the phone.... the software support is 100 percent o.k as always with opensource systems. try to get Microsoft on the phone or forum when you got a problem. no way. opensource. yes always have someone to help you out!

Originally Posted by Scottlfa View Post
I think the replacement problem is that they view it as somehow the end users mistake due to the very open nature of the device.
So why are they hiding behind the "firmware issue" explanation?
I think the persons he's dealing with are either plain incompetent, or playing their own agenda, whatever it might be.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
lol go for Android if you think N900 is the worst phone you've ever had. Android is also OpenSource too.
By far you're the only person who had this problem. So I don't know how to help. But reflashing firmware might solve some problems.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Houston, Texas
I had almost same problem reflash your device and your eMMC http://wiki.maemo.org/Flasher
It worked for me.

i appreciate the respond you give me. but i recommend you to read my problems a bit more carefully. since i have an empty device wich has been reflashed so there is 100 percent sure free space to recieve at least one sms or one call log. it doesnt even does that.

i have a df -h for you here so you can see my phone isnt out of memory.

Nokia-N900-51-1:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 227.6M 148.0M 75.5M 66% /
ubi0:rootfs 227.6M 148.0M 75.5M 66% /
tmpfs 1.0M 80.0k 944.0k 8% /tmp
tmpfs 256.0k 84.0k 172.0k 33% /var/run
none 10.0M 80.0k 9.9M 1% /dev
tmpfs 64.0M 4.0k 64.0M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p2 2.0G 23.8M 1.8G 1% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p1 27.0G 227.4M 26.8G 1% /home/user/MyDocs
/dev/mmcblk1p1 7.6G 6.1G 1.4G 81% /media/mmc1

at the same moment i took the df -h command the phone claims its out of memory. at least the hildon application claims that.
I dont; get any such errors and my rootfs is running at 94%. Maybe you have a permissions problem? Have you anything that's trying to unsucessfully write to the SD card (try booting and running without it).

On another tack, df only shows disk (storage) not program execution memory. Maybe you have a bad RAM chip, or perhaps swap isn't enabled properly? Have you checked freemem resources with top or Conky?

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
just reflash with the vanilla firmware, then flash with the updated. also dont install things using terminal. after you flash, uninstall all of the extra stuff they put in you dont need so the only thing that should be left is the maemo listing. if problem persists do not use extras-devel.

i did that and no longer have memory problems.

edit: i read this whole thread and noticed you kept saying full reflash but never mentioned flashing with the vanilla firmware and then the current updated firmware. from the info you provided it still looks like you still have a lot of stuff on your n900 after reflash which tells me you didnt use the vanilla firmware.

Last edited by weirdbeard; 2010-03-02 at 22:55.

Tags
boner should go limp, die already!!!, let me die!!!