Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I don't think the bugtracker link is broken, it does lead to a dedicated page. Certainly not the most efficient way of bugtracking, but IMO I would be hard pressed to thumb down because of an arguable interpretation of what is considered a dedicated page or bug tracker.

PS.The title of this thread is wrong, this has nothing to do with 'seriousness', unless you're talking about the process itself.
I am talking about the process itself. Every package that has broken bugtracker have numerous thumbs up even it should be the first criteria to be correct before further testing and completing the whole QA checklist.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by fms View Post
I love how these guidelines let clinical wikipedians among us assault more level headed people
It is more the fact that redirection to another package page isn't very user-friendly and can be really confusing. And i am strongly thinking that anything besides the items in the list should be wrong. Just because there are numerous options available and there are many of those that are easy or really easy to do (tmo/mailto: )
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-03-03 at 11:10.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I am talking about the process itself. Every package that has broken bugtracker have numerous thumbs up even it should be the first criteria to be correct before further testing and completing the whole QA checklist.
Yeah but maybe everyone do not agree this QA checklist ... !

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I have proposed a solution to the problem that 50% of the packages are turned down because of broken bugtracker link in the end of http://wiki.maemo.org/Bugtracker

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
I have proposed a solution to the problem that 50% of the packages are turned down because of broken bugtracker link in the end of http://wiki.maemo.org/Bugtracker
that is something that must be brought to councils attention. I can't make the decision either no other guys from testing squad.
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Yeah but maybe everyone do not agree this QA checklist ... !
so you deliberately don't follow the checklist that is a requirement for application to get to extras? what's the point of QA then?
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Requirement doesnt mean that you can leave it because you think it is stupid!
The QA checklist is there to provide a standard for extras as we expect maemo users not to be linux geeks! I for one would force more than just the things on the list... and change things in procedure. pushing from testing to extras would never be automagical. extras packages would need a bugs.maemo entry a changelog a proper description and last but not least a usability test. (yes I am crazy, but I do QM and QA for a living and have to be like that)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
and change things in procedure. pushing from testing to extras would never be automagical.
Promotion isn't automatic.

extras packages would need a bugs.maemo entry a changelog a proper description and last but not least a usability test. (yes I am crazy, but I do QM and QA for a living and have to be like that)
I would prefer automatic bugs.maemo.org entry too. Most of the packages have proper change log, it just isn't displayed anywhere until now. And yes you are crazy

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Requirement doesnt mean that you can leave it because you think it is stupid!
The QA checklist is there to provide a standard for extras as we expect maemo users not to be linux geeks! I for one would force more than just the things on the list... and change things in procedure. pushing from testing to extras would never be automagical. extras packages would need a bugs.maemo entry a changelog a proper description and last but not least a usability test. (yes I am crazy, but I do QM and QA for a living and have to be like that)
Firstly , I want to make it clear, Im not against testing or QA , I understand the importance of this quite as much as anyone spending more time with S/W than with human beings.

Having said that, I believe its much "easier"(for the lack of a better word ATM) to doctrine the QA process and perform testing of the app than actually develop and maintain one, just considering the fact that is all being done for free (QA included) !
Im not against having a stricter procedure for paid apps however ( I know I'll be blasted for this )
Many little comments that our dear QA leave and give thumbs down too will no doubt "better" the apps, but thats also delaying many good apps and letting down developers somewhere down the line ( be honest here )

Im all for making this the best platform ever for mobile devices, and I seriously think we need better apps than an amazon widget or a weather guide in our portfolio and quick, not next year !
Encouraging paid apps is the other half, which is being discussed elsewhere, the problems with the infrastructure, ovi support etc etc.

All Im saying is we need to reconsider , be a little lenient towards free apps, and they are flagged down for only serious issues, and not for using wrong widgets or colors or buttons being out of place or bugtracker links missing**.
You want everybody to follow rules in a free world is going to be a bit challenging.
Apple/Android may have rules but there the dev know they get rewarded for following rules.

Again, I didnt want to change this into a QA vs DEV war or even say that QA is not needed and we need to pass all apps into extras, just saying we need to be a little more cautious in firing dev who do the software purely in the interest of the platform development or for their karma in life
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-03-03 at 14:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
that is something that must be brought to councils attention. I can't make the decision either no other guys from testing squad.
Hey, I thought I'm t-squad ? Anyway, the point is that people who do community QA are not robots nor (mostly ) certified QA engineers. If everybody did everything, there would be no need for TEN thumbs-ups and ten days of quarantine, it would enough for one dude to go through the checklist. The quarantine and redundancy of votes is there exactly to find what others might have missed and to account for differences in device setups, installed apps, etc. So I ask the folks with strong engineering bloodlines to be a bit more pragmatic - it's not a "HA-HA, you forgot/misunderstood it" game. We had some suggestions on the testingsquad list to be more efficiend with the bugtracker link (thumbing down and re-quarantining just because of that is just plain overkill), but still no conclusion there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: