Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually, the analogy works pretty well if you add just one tiny presumption to the mix - that you have no idea how much money there is on your bank account. So you're withdrawing money still, but you don't know how much you have lost by others tapping in. The 'righteous' crowd will of course say they have not taken a single dollar/pound/dinar/etc (or that they would even put it back with interest after checking how the bills look like), but have rather used the card just for avoiding verification purposes on the Internet - thus claiming that even though they broke a few terms of use, you have not actually suffered financial damage. None of the potential scenarios is truly measurable so it's difficult to determine the actual damage - the only clear cut scenario is if you stay away (which many apparently can't bring themselves to).
Very nicely put!

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by nbosch1 View Post
Not at all, in this case the only harm you suffered by copying the data on your card is (maybe) a loss of your personal feeling of well being. The real damage is caused when they take the money from your account. After they transfer the money you no longer have it, so your example does not parallel the copy vs steal argument.
When you copy software you do so to avoid buying it. So again you are removing revenue from the accounts of the person creating software.

This in the long run means that the cost of developing updating and maintaining that software is devided between a smaller number of paying customers. Each of them ends up paying more to use the software. Encuraging them to do the same thing.

until the eventual outcome is that company X has to charge so much for its software that no one is willing to pay that for it use.

They fire their developers as the cost of updating and fixing bugs is no longer viable. Everyones bank account is empty.

Its more complicated but the result is the same.

You can argue that the cost of software vs the cost of producing and maintaining it is invalid. But having worked for a large software orgainisation The cost of testing maintaining updates fixing bugs inproving features, is all very very labour intensive.

If you consider the cost of the software to high for the work you beleaive went into it. Do not use it. If you think they have given you to many barriers to use. Then do not use it.

If you feel you need the software then it has value and pay for it.

It may not be theft but it is a reduction in the value of of people work against their will. IE copyright infringment.

If you do not like it do not use it. Any thing else is simply an excuse to make you feel better and ********

There are plenty of open source projects out there. Many of them extreamly good (better then charge for). There is no excuse to use software developed by people who have dicided not to donate it to the rest of us. Respect there choice and time

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2010-03-03 at 14:46.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think he's a troll. No one can be that ignorant/unsmart.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
When you copy software you do so to avoid buying it. So again you are removing revenue from the accounts of the person creating software.

This in the long run means that the cost of developing updating and maintaining that software is devided between a smaller number of paying customers. Each of them ends up paying more to use the software. Encuraging them to do the same thing.

until the eventual outcome is that company X has to charge so much for its software that no one is willing to pay that for it use.

They fire their developers as the cost of updating and fixing bugs is no longer viable. Everyones bank account is empty.

Its more complicated but the result is the same.

You can argue that the cost of software vs the cost of producing and maintaining it is invalid. But having worked for a large software orgainisation The cost of testing maintaining updates fixing bugs inproving features, is all very very labour intensive.

If you consider the cost of the software to high for the work you beleaive went into it. Do not use it. If you think they have given you to many barriers to use. Then do not use it.

If you feel you need the software then it has value and pay for it.

It may not be theft but it is a reduction in the value of of people work against their will. IE copyright infringment.

If you do not like it do not use it. Any thing else is simply an excuse to make you feel better and ********

There are plenty of open source projects out there. Many of them extreamly good (better then charge for). There is no excuse to use software developed by people who have dicided not to donate it to the rest of us. Respect there choice and time
There seems to be a surge of eloquence on here today!

A lot of people really do seem to think that because they don't see the effort involved (and they can hack a macro in 5 minutes) that software development to the standard demanded by the commercial world is nothing at all.

Your point regarding the only reason is to make the individual feel less guilt is perfectly valid. Makes you wonder how the individual would react if their job was considered not worth paying for too.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
So maybe this is why the French market is avoided by some companies?
No, I think it was originally just to avoid racist behavior from sellers, for instance. But this is an other thema.

So basically research and development are worth nothing? Way to remove innovation!
Not at all. The difference of price between a branded product and a copy still exists. First there is the reputation of the firm, which gives more value to the original product. Second, the innovative firm has time precedence in the market, which is quite a commercial advantage.

So basically you think that developers of any item shoud do so for free? Who is going to provide the food they need during this time and the other services you obviously take for granted?
No, once again a developer doesn't have to live on selling his programs, but for instance he can do any job where his ability to develop will have value on labour market and would be included in his salary. This job can be "developer", and in that case all his production helps for the general functioning of the firm, and will be paid for that.

Many people do have such a job. A system administrator, for instance, do write some scripts every time, but he doesn't actually sell them.

Last edited by azorni; 2010-03-03 at 15:04.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
if I wrote an app which was non-trivial and required a lot of investment of my time and deprived me of normal income whilst doing it, I would almost certainly tie it into an online service in order to make it a subscription-based service rather than a one off.

many iphone users "jailbreak" their phones and install "non-purchased" applications claiming that this allows them to try-before-you-buy and bypass the itunes store. the reality is that, unfortunately, most are actually *pirating software
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...u_buy_myth.php

in the OSS world I think people are a tad more honest, but I don't know many people who do donate. I have to admit, an application has to really impress me to make me consider donating, or there has to be a bounty to add a feature I want. I guess if I was richer I would donate more.

* I don't like the word piracy, it's NOT theft in the legal sense, it's copyright violation and possibly patenting licence infringement too.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think he's a troll. No one can be that ignorant/unsmart.
Unfortunately in Paris this is not uncommon. The bigger concern is this type of attitude is considered normal amongst youngsters that have been pampered hence the issue with file swapping and the music industry. Selfish attitudes seem to be on the increase without thought as to the longer term consequences - something that does nothing good for soceity in general.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Because you agreed to something else (that's the license agreement and terms-of-use part many conveniently skip). It's like saying, yeah, I have an agreement with the bank that I'll return the money plus interest in a year, but they have so much money anyway, so I don't see what's the fuss if I return it in two years, it's not like I said I don't owe them...
Well, I meant : apart from this licence agreement, of course.

I've already wrote that, as long as you agreed to end user license, you gave your word and you have to stick to it.

But it 's a word you gave only because it was required by the seller, I don't see any ethical or economic justification to it.

Originally Posted by azorni View Post
Not at all. The difference of price between a branded product and a copy still exists. First there is the reputation of the firm, which gives more value to the original product. Second, the innovative firm has time precedence in the market, which is quite a commercial advantage.
the reputation of the firm? Have you heard of the OEM market? i can only conclude (and hope) that you have never had any involvement in a commercial enterprise!

Originally Posted by azorni View Post
No, once again a developer doesn't have to live on selling his programs, but for instance he can do any job where his ability to develop will have value on labour market and would be included in his salary. This job can be "developer", and in that case all his production helps for the general functioning of the firm, and will be paid for that.
In House bespoke development is a route for some development. So you would be happy if all commercial development was not available to the general public?

When is this development supposed to take place? Someone has to spend a lot of time and money developing and testing applications for the commercial world and you feel that this is not worthy of recompense?

What do you do for a living that provides similar contribution to soceity in general that is unpaid and therefore provides an example of this lifestyle?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Just to put things into perspective, how much do you think we're paying for the IP (R&D) costs on your hardware compared to the manufacturing cost of the components? Especially on things like the CPU?

The main difference being that you can't just copy a CPU design with harddrive/internet/dvd writer.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!