Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My favorite solution for tablets so far was Notecase, which is no longer being developed, but which can still be used, I think.
Notecase has been transformed into the commercial Notecase Pro which is also available as a limited unregistered version.
This version has some advanced features the community version did not have though lacks some other which were present.
However it looks to be pretty usable.
From all solutions I have seen so far on maemo Maepad comes closest to Notecase.

The Following User Says Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Conboy has a great feel on the N900 - thanks very much!

One word of caution: I just moved across 300 notes from Notecase into Tomboy on the laptop, then onto the N900 using SSH and WinSCP. It looked fine and I could edit them in Conboy but all changes were lost *without warning* when I closed the app because they had been imported as read-only. Don't forget to right-click in WinSCP or whatever prog you use and set write-permission in properties - only takes seconds.

All working very well now; has to be one of the most useful apps and search is *much* faster than notecase searching the same set of notes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gs1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
For the adventurous of you, there is a new version (0.6.3.2) in Extras-Devel. I've fixed some sync issues, although I'm sure there are still some left.
As usual, please make a backup before trying! Also you should not try it with your production U1 account. I once had the situation, that after a sync I couldn't access U1 notes at all.

Also please note, that synchronization of deleted message is not yet supported.

There are still some U1 bugs left as well. In short:
- Don't use the ampersand character (&) in the title of a note. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone...rs/+bug/490969
- It is somehow possible to upload a (invalid) note to U1. U1 will not block this, and later does not allow you to access your notes. Happened to me once, but I couldn't reproduce. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone...rs/+bug/526269
- Older notes, that have been edited with the U1 web interface, are converted to invalid XML. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone...rs/+bug/527335

Anyways, have fun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi Conny, thank you so much for your efforts! I tried again and now it synchronization with Ubuntu One works fine.

Me on twitter

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
Great app Conny! I espcially like t hat I can create and edit notes on my desktop and send them over to my tablet for reference or further editing. I have been using conboy on my n800 and have had a home grown sync with my linux desktop tomboy via some scripts, ssh, rsync - I look forward to trying the U1 sync instead.

One odd thing that I noticed that may or may have to do with conboy: Certain notes created on conboy crash tomboy with the a long error that starts with:

Code:
Exception in Gtk# callback delegate
  Note: Applications can use GLib.ExceptionManager.UnhandledException to handle the exception.
System.Xml.XmlException: Multiple document element was detected.  Line 7, position 4.
at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadStartTag () [0x00000]
and about 30 more lines of 'at' blah blah blah. . . .

These notes originally worked on tomboy a few months ago (not sure what version) or maybe it was something that changed in conboy.

Anyway when I try gnote, the notes open fine, so the problem in probably with tomboy - still I thought I'd bring it up in case anyone had a similar issue.

For reference:
Tomboy version: 1.0.0
Conboy version: 0.6.3.1

Originally Posted by salinmooch View Post
Great app Conny! I espcially like t hat I can create and edit notes on my desktop and send them over to my tablet for reference or further editing. I have been using conboy on my n800 and have had a home grown sync with my linux desktop tomboy via some scripts, ssh, rsync - I look forward to trying the U1 sync instead.
Glad you like it The U1 sync still needs more love, but it will certainly come.

One odd thing that I noticed that may or may have to do with conboy: Certain notes created on conboy crash tomboy with the a long error that starts with:
Hmm, that's not good. There is an issue that Conboy produces invalid note files under some conditions. Unfortunately I've still not figured out, what the problem is. Would it be possible, that you send me one of those corrupt note files? I could look at the XML inside the note and see what the problem is.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
Originally Posted by conny View Post
Hmm, that's not good. There is an issue that Conboy produces invalid note files under some conditions. Unfortunately I've still not figured out, what the problem is. Would it be possible, that you send me one of those corrupt note files? I could look at the XML inside the note and see what the problem is.
I attached two problem notes I found out of about 35 notes. To correct what I previously posted: gnote will open all my notes but these two show up blank. Tomboy will open other notes but will crash with the above error when I open them. Also Tomboy will not allow me to create or delete any notes. Conboy handles them without an issue. The notes are simple lists, no bullets, etc.

One thing I did notice is that conboy and gnote list the last changed date of the 'Ohio' note as 01/01/1970 and 12/31/1969 respectively.

Once I manually removed the two problem notes tomboy allowed me to create and delete notes. Which is nice cause now I can try U1 syncing
Attached Files
File Type: txt 4d4b2e89-115d-480f-9502-d6350e378e57.note.txt (767 Bytes, 96 views)
File Type: txt 30f66808-e051-4836-bba0-071a8ba239fb.note.txt (1.0 KB, 128 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to salinmooch For This Useful Post:
I attached two problem notes I found out of about 35 notes. To correct what I previously posted: gnote will open all my notes but these two show up blank. Tomboy will open other notes but will crash with the above error when I open them. Also Tomboy will not allow me to create or delete any notes. Conboy handles them without an issue. The notes are simple lists, no bullets, etc.
Thank you for providing those notes! It's strange that Conboy can actually handle them, because they are really messed up. Both notes have the </text> tag at the wrong position. That is something I've not seen yet. I will look into this issue further, but for now, I still have no idea what's going on

One thing I did notice is that conboy and gnote list the last changed date of the 'Ohio' note as 01/01/1970 and 12/31/1969 respectively.
Yea, that's because this note has two blocks containing the metadata. One with the correct data and another one with 0-values, which translates to those strange dates. I've never seen that before either.

Once I manually removed the two problem notes tomboy allowed me to create and delete notes. Which is nice cause now I can try U1 syncing
That's great, but please please make plenty of backups - this is still highly experimental
Anyways I'm happy to hear about your experiences with the sync stuff.

Originally Posted by conny View Post
Thank you for providing those notes! It's strange that Conboy can actually handle them, because they are really messed up. Both notes have the </text> tag at the wrong position. That is something I've not seen yet. I will look into this issue further, but for now, I still have no idea what's going on
Hmm I wonder if has anything to do with my sync setup and not with anything conboy is doing. I have previously had the tablet send the notes over rsync+ssh when I connected to my home network. Tomboy initially was fine with the notes sent via this setup but about a month ago it 'broke'. These sync'd quite a lot - every time my tablet connected to my home network. Perhaps a transfer got messed up somewhere along the way. Conboy chugged along just fine so I just used that and periodically gnote. I did not really stop and take a look at the problem notes until I read that tomboy and conboy support U1 and wanted to try it.

I just do not want to fill you new obtained thesis free time with problems that may not be conboy's fault. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can recreate it.

Hmm I wonder if has anything to do with my sync setup and not with anything conboy is doing. I have previously had the tablet send the notes over rsync+ssh when I connected to my home network. Tomboy initially was fine with the notes sent via this setup but about a month ago it 'broke'. These sync'd quite a lot - every time my tablet connected to my home network. Perhaps a transfer got messed up somewhere along the way. Conboy chugged along just fine so I just used that and periodically gnote. I did not really stop and take a look at the problem notes until I read that tomboy and conboy support U1 and wanted to try it.
Of course it could be possible that it's not Conboy's fault. But somehow I feel that it's the weakest part of the chain, so I'll investigate it further. Also if you find out anything new, I'm always happy to hear it.

I just do not want to fill you new obtained thesis free time with problems that may not be conboy's fault. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can recreate it.
Excellent, thank you

Tags
conboy, grauphel