Active Topics

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
While i do agree that patents protect the intellectual property of the creator, you cannot deny that they slow down progress. Looking at some of these patents, they are absolute rubbish. Look at swipe to unlock patent, seriously can these patents get any more lame? Also when a user jumps from one technology to another, they have to get used to whole new interface cause it would infringe if they had similarities. I have no issue with protecting intellectual property, but in a world where technology changes every few months, 20 year patents are stupid.

Besides, I see a massive community which provides ideas and code for everyone for free, and its given us a massive push forward, why isn't anyone attacking others for using their code?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Great video where Nilay Patel, who writes almost everything worth reading on Engadget, gives great insight into this litigation. Also ventures briefly into Nokia vs. Apple litigation.

In-depth on the Apple patent drama: The Bottom Line

You know what would be awesome?

That HTC gets forbidden to use swipe to unlock, so they develop a way to unlock by drawing the smiley face of the Android bot on the screen. Oh, that would rule so much.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, the default way to unlock something on android is a 3x3 grid where you drag a pattern. If htc applied a more iphone-like unlock on their sense ui, they where basically asking for trouble...

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Great video where Nilay Patel, who writes almost everything worth reading on Engadget, gives great insight into this litigation. Also ventures briefly into Nokia vs. Apple litigation.

In-depth on the Apple patent drama: The Bottom Line
what came to mind is a patent style shotgun. Basically, with enough pellets (patents) in the air, your bound to hit with some of them.

or maybe a different analogy: throw enough dirt at a wall, and some is bound to stick...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
While i do agree that patents protect the intellectual property of the creator, you cannot deny that they slow down progress.
Sure I can. Again: the core idea behind patents is protection with disclosure.

The revelation by one inventor of his process and product can and does stimulate action by others. ie, it furthers progress.

Of course, this is only true when patents are utilized properly. Like I said previously, I consider software patents an abomination of the system (same for business process patents and DNA patents on humans).

My view on patents and copyright is simply their original function and purpose was good. But the bastardization they have become are no longer as helpful.

Just like certain unions out there...

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-03-03 at 23:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Oh Apple, Apple.

Proof positive the patent system in the US needs reform, badly.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/a...phone-patents/
/agree.

Or less feebleminded lawyers and CEO´s...

STEALING OUR TECHNOLOGY ?
Reinventing things and stealing ideas ?
OK old man, so iphone V4 has multitasking you say ?
So he didnt just take a look at the n900 and think yano wat ?
I just blatently thought of something by myself.
Im also pretty sure that palm holds a tonne of patents to use against apple as well dont they ?

Last edited by Kwljunky; 2010-03-03 at 23:04.

Originally Posted by Modell900 View Post
/agree.

Or less feebleminded lawyers and CEO´s...
on this topic they are probably anything but feebleminded.