Notices

On 3UK the skype client provided for the S60 clients actually makes a regular GSM/UMTS *voice* call to a skype gateway on the 3UK network, and from there the call is connected via skype.

When you use a regular skype client the entire end-end connection is over IP, ie GPRS or UMTS or wifi data

As such you could hit issues with port blocking, performance, or charges that you wouldn't get with S60. Having said that I have a 1Gb+ data limit and on 3UK there's pretty much no port blocking in place so as an end user either "just works".

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by mktsoi View Post
thx for making my question clear. i should have said i need Three Skype setting for GPRS in the Thread.

i just explained the differences between skype from www.three.com.au and skype from n900 in another post. hope someone can come up with the settings.

thx again
Happy to help!
I would love to get my 900 set up with Three Skype myself so lets hope someone works it out!
(I still use my Three skype phone as Skype kills my battery on the 900)

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Does Three even work with GPRS?
Here in Sweden I just get a error message whenever I try to access the web when only having GSM coverage(only in the web browser though, otherwise nothing happens). Here in Sweden their 7.2mbps data plan is quite cheap though, only ~12.35USD/month. It's a great offer, especially since I use internet every day.

My 2 cents.
well, my skype mins are included in my plan already. thats why i dont want to pay them extra to get data plan.

Three use GPRS here. i phoned them yesterday and asked them the GPRS settings for my phone. they just told me that they dont have settings for it because my phone is not from Three. i ended up have to search in the forum here and someone posted the settings. i got myself connected but now the question is that if anyone knows how to point the pre built skype client from n900 to use GPRS connection instead of WIFI.

luck you that data plan is cheap in Sweden

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
thx for replying. i tried 3netaccess but it did not work for me. i put in 3services. i can connect and access Planet 3 from my browser but not skype. you see. my old E71 can access Planet 3. you can download a prebuilt skype client from Planet 3 which you can only use that skype to im and call to anyone has skype on computer but not any mobile or landline number.

the prebuilt version inside n900, you can buy skype credit with it once when you connected with wifi. i guess three.com.au trying stop everyone using anything other than give them the bussiness if you see what i mean
I guess may be the way I told will be counted in data usage (extra to 3 services). Planet 3 is how you access 3 services like (Planet3 to check call usage) and 3netaccess is how you use internet. I can access Planet 3 services from my n900 using Planet 3.

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I guess may be the way I told will be counted in data usage (extra to 3 services). Planet 3 is how you access 3 services like (Planet3 to check call usage) and 3netaccess is how you use internet. I can access Planet 3 services from my n900 using Planet 3.
but did you pay for any data usage plan every month?

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
but did you pay for any data usage plan every month?
No, coz I tried it just to check as you asked but not sure if its gonna benefit you in any way. I only use WiFi and using Planet 3 is free anyway to 3 customers.

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
No, coz I tried it just to check as you asked but not sure if its gonna benefit you in any way. I only use WiFi and using Planet 3 is free anyway to 3 customers.
nah, i can use Planet 3 ok, but for some reason that i cant use 3netaccess. may be i am not on any mobile data plan like you said. but i do have the free skype mins from them including in my plan tho, so it doesnt matter i use the skype mins or not. i still pay the same thing.

i hope nokia will have new update soon to take care of the issue.

I too am with 3 in Australia, but I have a data plan. Which without I would find the N900 rather lacking as it is an internet tablet with a phone rather than a phone with internet capabilities. However, what you do with your phone is up to you. :-)

WRT Skype on 3, they offer free Skype to Skype calls (unlimited at the moment I think) but you have to use their version of the Skype client:

Free calls only apply to Skype to Skype calls using the Skype application downloaded from Planet 3.
Skype software is not available on all mobiles.
http://www.three.com.au/skype?c=Page...=1221530684029

I don't really think this is a Nokia issue as Skype is already integrated into the phone natively.

I can also recommend whirlpool as a good source of all internet related things within Australia
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114?g=138

I would really recommend a data plan - you will find the phone so much more fun!!

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
thx for replying. i tried 3netaccess but it did not work for me. i put in 3services. i can connect and access Planet 3 from my browser but not skype. you see. my old E71 can access Planet 3. you can download a prebuilt skype client from Planet 3 which you can only use that skype to im and call to anyone has skype on computer but not any mobile or landline number.

the prebuilt version inside n900, you can buy skype credit with it once when you connected with wifi. i guess three.com.au trying stop everyone using anything other than give them the bussiness if you see what i mean
The thing is, a regular Skype call uses VoIP, meaning it uses the Internet connection for transmitting the voice data.
The Skype calls you make with a device from Three on a prepaid basis, on the other hand, are not real Internet calls (i.e. they don't use VoIP), but they get routed as normal phone calls. So technically, you don't need a gprs-connection for that. What you do need it for, however, is for logging into your Skype-account from Three, so they can count the minutes and bill you once you used up your prepaid amount (which seems unlikely if you have 4000 mins a month).
Bottom line is, I don't think you can get your N900's Skype to use those Skype-minutes included with the X-series, because it can only make VoIP calls. In order to log you into Sykpe and then make a normal phone call, it would have to be an special "Three-branded/tweaked" build of Skype.
It might be possible if Three sold the N900 with an X-Series plan, but they don't, at least here in Austria.

I also have my contract with Three (Austria though, not Australia), and I use the built-in Skype, but not with X-Series, but with an additional data plan for my phone, which is actually quite convenient.

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
The thing is, a regular Skype call uses VoIP, meaning it uses the Internet connection for transmitting the voice data.
The Skype calls you make with a device from Three on a prepaid basis, on the other hand, are not real Internet calls (i.e. they don't use VoIP), but they get routed as normal phone calls. So technically, you don't need a gprs-connection for that. What you do need it for, however, is for logging into your Skype-account from Three, so they can count the minutes and bill you once you used up your prepaid amount (which seems unlikely if you have 4000 mins a month).
Bottom line is, I don't think you can get your N900's Skype to use those Skype-minutes included with the X-series, because it can only make VoIP calls. In order to log you into Sykpe and then make a normal phone call, it would have to be an special "Three-branded/tweaked" build of Skype.
It might be possible if Three sold the N900 with an X-Series plan, but they don't, at least here in Austria.

I also have my contract with Three (Austria though, not Australia), and I use the built-in Skype, but not with X-Series, but with an additional data plan for my phone, which is actually quite convenient.
Hi

Thx for the reply anyway. yeah. i understand what you were trying to say. i kinda figure that out because the skype version in x-series for 3 is different compared to Fring, iskoot or n900 prebuilt version of skype. the one from 3 only allow to make x-series to computer call but not x-series to landline or mobile. sounds like 3 wont be making a n900 version of skype anyway. well, my contract is almost over with 3 anyway. the reason i am trying to avoid to pay for the data pack to 3 in Australia here because 3 is pretty bad here. i stuck with my skype contract for 15 months already. i live in metro area in Sydney here. in accordance with 3, i have pretty good signal, but most of the time my phone peggy back on to other netowrk instead of 3. then my phone go onto roaming and i cannot use skype at all. i dont know about in europe but certainly in australia if your 3 cell phone going onto roaming, you will not able to make and receive any skype call or message at all. i dont want to go sign up with 3 with the datapack and they turn around ooo we are sorry your area has bad signal. thats what they told me anyway about the skype i have after i signed the contract, and i stuck with the contract for 24 months. i mean i am in the city area if they dont even have good signal within the city area. i cant imagine the city living outside the city.