Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bitflung View Post
The only crucially important update i want in the next firmware is a fix for incoming calls failing while 2G/2.5G packet data is connected.

Vote for this fix here if you want it too:
GPRS/EDGE data connection prohibits incoming voice calls

currently, despite the network fully supporting the proper signaling (which suspends packet data for incoming calls on N95, N82, N97, and 5800xm when on 2G/2.5G), the N900 doesn't suspend or drop the data connection for incoming calls - they always go straight to voicemail.

it's the #1 most critical bug for me, since i'm always on 2.5G network and don't want to miss incoming calls, i can never allow my N900 to connect automatically to packet data; and connecting manually is done knowing that while i'm connected if my wife calls she'll get pissed that her calls go persistently straight to voicemail.
I don't have that problem.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Or even better, adds recognition for humor and sarcasm (:
Lol i think that flew right over him..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Lol i think that flew right over him..
I know!!! I went to sleep smiling

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
If the next firmware doesn't introduce (at least 75% of) :
- MMS
- Ovi + Step by step nav.
- Front camera videocalls
- Night mode for video and image camera mode
- Fixes for wifi.

I'm ebaying my n900, going back to N95, and starting to look for a nice HTC with android, which has all those stuff.

So I won't be able to type ifconfig, top, and schedule tasks with crontab.
So what?
Sorry to say about android, having a nexus one you are very wrong about android having all of these.

- Front camera videocalls (Not on android, voip on android was non-existant until 1.6 and now it is in an awful state, sipdroid and other voip apps (there are none installed by default) are really really bad. Video, forget it on android.

- Ovi + step by step navigation (the android google navigation requires a data connection (and uses lots of it) throughout your journey and requires you to be in USA.

- Fixes for wifi, the wifi in nexusone is a joke compared to on my n900.

- camera, my nexus one camera is much worse picture quality than my n900 and is really **** in night mode.

*Moan, moan, moan* I didn't research my device and I want things that the phone doesn't do...

Portrait is annoying, but we knew it didn't have it and won't fully get it. MMS? What's wrong with fMMS being developed?! This is meant to be speculation, not people threatening to sell theiir devices because they didn't research.

I'm 100percent happy with mine. If they can improve it then that's great, but no complaints... My speculation is improved efficiencies, so a tiny bit more battery!

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
I've no complaints about my device and It's fully doing its job for me and everything is great. So, I think people should stop crying about missing features, If It's OK for me, so N900 is good for at least ONE person, and It means you should pay more attention before buying anything.

PS: LOL, Tags are funny ^^

Originally Posted by cliffordpascal View Post
Its a great idea to not be prompted for an action you have already tried to execute.

for example...lets take the iphone, although I think the N900 is a better device and highly more configurable. Has anyone ever noticed that when you ask the iphone to do something there is no response back to the user unless the action failed which make the UE (User Exprience) in the GUI so much nicer and slick, not to mention faster. Where nokia falls down on the GUI side of things is that their interfaces sometime provide too much feedback.

For instance why do i need a message from the hildon desktop saying "bluetooth activated" when i have just selected to turn the thing on. wouldn't it be obvious that it is activated if i just asked the system to turn it on. In the event of the system returning any sort of message back to the user, it should be an error message ...i.e "bluetooth activation unsuccessful" or something like that. My point being many more notification messages generated by the UI should only be there to display error messages to inform the user that the required action had failed. If no message was displayed when the user asked the system to do something then take it for granted that the task was executed successfully.

If many users disagree with this suggestion then as an alternative maybe have a confirmation one can switch on and off i.e "supress system notification messages"

Cheers

Thoughts and comments on a postcard please
Its quite a contradiction to the unix/linux command prompt where for example when a file is copied successfully it does not give you any feedback. After all its a GUI, people want to be assured.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by stayloa View Post
I'm 100percent happy with mine. If they can improve it then that's great, but no complaints... My speculation is improved efficiencies, so a tiny bit more battery!
Fully agreed.

I hope they just speed things up like conversation window, (opening them, or scrolling through them)
and more places like that are there. (media player? image viewer?). I here that some have problems searching/scrolling through contacts if you have 3000 of them. But even that number shouldnt matter at all.
They just should go look what eats cpu time at most places and optimize all of that. That will result in a better battery life in the end also..

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
Sorry to say about android, having a nexus one you are very wrong about android having all of these.

- Front camera videocalls (Not on android, voip on android was non-existant until 1.6 and now it is in an awful state, sipdroid and other voip apps (there are none installed by default) are really really bad. Video, forget it on android.

- Ovi + step by step navigation (the android google navigation requires a data connection (and uses lots of it) throughout your journey and requires you to be in USA.

- Fixes for wifi, the wifi in nexusone is a joke compared to on my n900.

- camera, my nexus one camera is much worse picture quality than my n900 and is really **** in night mode.
Zaheem,

The only thing you may be right about is the front camera mode on andriod, I have not checked, In regards to your other comments :

- Iv'e been using on the n95 a program called waze, it's a free gps navigation application, which uses very very little bandwidth, provides excellent results, updates daily when you want over wifi, and takes into considerations traffic when calculating the best route.
It's one of the best applications I have ever seen - Works on Symbian, Iphone, Android, WinMo. N900? no....
I have to carry my n95 and swap the sim card everytime I need GPS...

- I don't know about nexusone, but I didn't say I am going to buy a nexus one. I said i'll buy an HTC phone that suites my needs. surely it won't cost more then the n900. the wifi on the htc HERO is great. A lot better and more stable then on the n900.

- Again you consider the nexusone in regards to the night shots with the camera, I had great night shots with the n95, if you don't move it, push up the exposure, you can get great results.
Pictures don't always have to be pretty, sometimes you need them to be practical.

Don't get me wrong, I love the n900. But I keep compromising for many small things. And for the buck, I just don't like compromising.

Now I have to get back to class (:
If I get MeeGo (as mentioned yesterday in some post), and it will fix some stuff - You will see me running around in my underwear screaming "I got an N900 and I like it".

Eitam.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever