Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I dunno if it was discussed already but:

Will there be a development Fedora spin for developing with Qt+Qt Creator+Pyside(my interest)+SDK ? If so, Nokia will provide this or should be community driven?

I mean, everything integrated just out of box? Call me lazy but I like to have everything done for me so I wont waste tons of time setting up everything again, like I did in Ubuntu.

ps. we want ovi suite with n900 and linux support (at least me and my n900 do)

Originally Posted by volt View Post
For those who "consider it a phone", that means, not really all that good. =p
Granted, I know less than zero about Symbian, but I thought the Symbian UI was written in Qt. If so, isn't it possible/likely that Harmattan/MeeGo could get full phone functionality out of the box?

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Granted, I know less than zero about Symbian, but I thought the Symbian UI was written in Qt. If so, isn't it possible/likely that Harmattan/MeeGo could get full phone functionality out of the box?
If so, it could even be that Maemo 5 users could get some improved phone functionality through Qt 4.6, but that would be a stretch.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Hmm... Are you sure that's what people are saying, and not:

"We were expecting the next step to be the fifth of five steps on the way to a fully polished mass marketed Maemo. Instead it turns out the next step will be a first wobbly step on the long way to a fully polished MeeGo product, why? "

Now, I admit, MeeGo is a nice goal but somehow it feels like we're jumping from the Maemo beta to the MeeGo alpha build without having a proper RTM in between. And knowing this, some including me expect that Nokia will be focusing on adapting Harmattan towards the MeeGo frameset, which means breaking up and putting together stuff in new ways. They will simply have more to do than in a purely evolutionary update. The end result will probably be better. But they have to focus ahead and not on making things backportable. In the mean time, they will fix critical bugs on our current platform, but not add anything that doesn't fit into the MeeGo plan. So GTK+ applications will be EOLed while they rebuild the same applications in QT.

Now, the fact that they are going to develop these on the N900 platform is very positive for the more adventerous Maemo users. Very. But for those would only rely on officially supported firmware updates, IMO, there's a risk that the N900 will never be much better than it is today. For those who "consider it a phone", that means, not really all that good. =p For those who consider it a computer, it still means it has all the potential in the world, it might get an even cooler OS in a year or two.
1) The N900 as untapped potential.

See the wiki page, Nokia as still plan for the N900.

and

2) Misconceptions on software development.

See MeeGo blog, there is a MeeGo dev there that says he won't try to run MeeGo any time soon. Of course it takes time to build MeeGo, don't worry there is still plenty of good time to have with your N900.

Frankly, I think there is still room for improvement on the wiki page for those two points.

i dont know about anybody else, but i am sick and tired of opening a thread to find it is yet another debate on whether the n900 will get meego...

There is a lot more to life than what os your mobile phone has...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
Symbian UI is not written using QT. Even if it was, it would have still been a lot of work to get it to work on another operating system.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by noventa98 View Post
I think that if MeeGo will be still in alpha when the first device is launched Nokia and Intel would be committing commercial suicide and kill the project in its infancy.
That represent again why I think the N900 has still a long way to go before being "abandoned" by Nokia. MeeGo is not ready and the first MeeGo device is not ready.

Assuming Nokia/Intel are not trying to kill anything of course. Why would they do that ? But eh ! Who are we to tell them how to run a business ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
That represent again why I think the N900 has still a long way to go before being "abandoned" by Nokia. MeeGo is not ready and the first MeeGo device is not ready.

Assuming Nokia/Intel are not trying to kill anything of course. Why would they do that ? But eh ! Who are we to tell them how to run a business ?
Agreed: we are nobody of course. That's also why I quoted the dialogue between Cain and God earlier. Who is Cain to tell God what to do about the world?

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
qgil spotted posing as 'Andrew Howard'

Andrew Howard

qgil
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
2) Misconceptions on software development.

Frankly, I think there is still room for improvement on the wiki page for those two points.
I would think so. Also, I think there will be a lot of resentment if people start referring to the FAQ as an easy way to tell people to stfu.

And the misconsceptions of software development seems to be balancing on the other side now. I know exactly how much more expensive, delaying, it is to work towards a moved goal. I am a system developer. This is how I make my living. If I get tasks related to a new framework, it means less tasks for the existing one will be completed on time. That is how prioritizing works. On the other hand, increased resources for MeeGo means from an statistical point of view that MeeGo will be "better" than Maemo. If more developing hours from a bigger team garantees "better".

So for the long run, it is clearly better for the platform(s), and Nokia. But someone in the community need to port Qt to OS2008. :B