Posts: 14 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Yugoslavia
Bear with me, I've only used the N900 device for about 4 days.

I had a N95 8GB before. When I got the N900 I synced the contacts between the phones, and presto, got it all nicely set up. With an added feature(?). When I view some contacts, I get have the ability (button) to send them a SMS.. but hey, that's their home phone (landline) and have no ability to receive SMS messages?! I am yet to find how to remove that button from the home phone number, any suggestions?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Hi, when you edit you contacts, you might find that your home phone numbers are in fact in a mobile phone field. I wouldn't have expected this when syncing from an N95, but it it could be a result of how some numbers got into your N95 to start with - as you wouldn't have cared if it just said phone or mobile next to them back then - i.e. it had no sms button!

Are you also saying you can't seem to receive sms? That does sound odd.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Suffolk, UK
I find the option quite useful in the UK as some landlines accept the text message and the phone will ring and it is read using a computer voce. But not sure how to remove it. Sorry

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Sorry, I got carried away thinking about the fields used in some mobile phones, that I didn't realise it gave the sms button for most numbers anyway.
I too don't mind the sms for a land line as it can be funny sending texts to them! Especially funny at work!

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Yugoslavia
Ads & Wes79:

I can receive sms. And sure it can be useful to be able to send sms to landlines, but here in Sweden extremely few landlines accept text message so I'd like to be able to remove it, or at least get the option to pick wheter to add a sms button or not.

Damn, this is a Linux handheld device, everything should be customizable! :/

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
There's no way to remove it. It's currently an idea in Brainstorm (www.maemo.org/community/brainstorm).

It is Linux, and it would be fixed by now, but the core applications (Nokia Pre-Loaded) are closed source (i think), so only Nokia can provide updates for it.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
i think i have a contacts problem, but not this one...

mine seems to randomly lose contacts. it's hard to pin down, but a couple of times now I've come to call someone and found their details missing. when it was the dentists number i just figured i'd missremembered entering it in the first place. but today i found my brothers number missing. that was deffinately there.

not dure if it could have anything to do with hermes, i have used it but not for a while, i can't remember the last time i called my brother from this phone so i don't really know the timeframe for the problem.

anyone else suspect contacts going missing?
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.