Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Have you had this issue ?
Poll Options
Have you had this issue ?

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I still restart my N900 every few days :(
Try running following commands instead (as user, not root!):

Code:
dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home
dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-home

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by evad View Post
Try running following commands instead (as user, not root!):

Code:
Heh. Sometimes I wonder that do people test commands what they copy paste. I see that this command is in bug report also but at least for me it doesn't recognize command dsmetool, but as root user it recognizes so probably you have to run it with path (which I do not know)

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Heh. Sometimes I wonder that do people test commands what they copy paste. I see that this command is in bug report also but at least for me it doesn't recognize command dsmetool, but as root user it recognizes so probably you have to run it with path (which I do not know)
True, I've got that problem too (not sure why is that happening, tough). Here's the thing to do:

Code:
sudo gainroot
su user
Alternatively, login remotely via ssh directly to root and skip first line from above.

Sorry, should told that in first place.

Originally Posted by evad View Post
True, I've got that problem too (not sure why is that happening, tough). Here's the thing to do:

Code:
sudo gainroot
su user
Alternatively, login remotely via ssh directly to root and skip first line from above.

Sorry, should told that in first place.
OK, i did this. the commands run successfully but I dont really know what this did?

What did these commands do? Will it improve my desktop speed?

The Following User Says Thank You to Snaps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
OK, i did this. the commands run successfully but I dont really know what this did?

What did these commands do? Will it improve my desktop speed?
It's just basically same things as reboot on behalf of hildon-home process as it gets restarted with those commands. If you are experiencing slow UI issue then it might help, but it's not guaranteed. Read bug report regarding this issue.

Why not simply use killall hildon-home ? Then dsme automatically starts it again, that is what it is there for.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Why not simply use killall hildon-home ? Then dsme automatically starts it again, that is what it is there for.
I don't know. Ask from Nokia employee in bug report. He suggested that command.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723#c33

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I love this phone, but this issue makes go crazy! I have it at least once a day (Ussually at the end of the day). I used to reboot, but now I'm doing the killall. But this is not the solution, and Nokia is not saying anything on bugzilla.
Somebody has to do something!!!! (I wish I knew how :cry: )

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
This is also known to happen on N810 and N800. The problems are most definitely memory leaks in one or several widgets. The problem is not apparent immediately after the reboot, but appears several days later. In my case these leaks even lead to hildon crashing and restarting. Extensive testing should be done in order to find the exact root of the problem. This unfortunately is not an easy, nor a fast task. Look around the forum, and you'll find a lot of threads with these types of issues.

Last edited by nowave7; 2010-03-06 at 01:16.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
This time I did the killall but the widgets didn't want to come up again. Called hildon-home and all the widget came up running perfectly, but when I closed the terminal they dissapeared again. Tried dsmetools -t and only the shorcuts and the calendar appeared (And worked), but when tried to add the rest, the desktop configuration didn't work.
I had to reboot (wasting battery :cry: ) and the widgets again.

This time I checked top before doing anything and the CPU was clean. No proccess was having problems. How do I get a report from top? I would like to share it with you (Because I have no clue of the problem).

Cheers.