Hi,

The primary OS/APP color scheme through out Maemo5 is white-text-on-black-background. I imagine this design choice was made because:
  1. it matches the N900 hardware
  2. reduces rendering power consumption (really?)
  3. evokes nostalgia for VT100 terminals of yore (;-)

Changing themes, even to something beautiful like Marina only changes the accent colors, and doesn't affect the white-text-on-black-background aesthetic:

Ironically, while the icon of the X-Terminal application (the app most associated with the legacy of VT100) has green-text-on-black-blackground, the app itself has black-text-on-white-background.

I'm curious, therefore, if one could change the overall OS/APP color scheme through out Maemo5 to black-text-on-white-background just like X-Terminal?

Why? Well, because I find it easier to read...

Any ideas/info on this?

Thanks,

digittante

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I've never understood why terminals are using black text on white background. This goes with Ubuntu as well. I always change them back to white text, black bg. Though I wouldn't mind to have the option for UI itself. I think it should be possible with a custom theme.

I doubt that the color scheme reduces power usage really that much right now. It will affect battery life if you have an OLED screen as it's an emissive display technology.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by chainreaction View Post
I've never understood why terminals are using black text on white background. This goes with Ubuntu as well. I always change them back to white text, black bg. Though I wouldn't mind to have the option for UI itself. I think it should be possible with a custom theme.

I doubt that the color scheme reduces power usage really that much right now. It will affect battery life if you have an OLED screen as it's an emissive display technology.
Actually I was wondering how to change the text/background color, assuming it's possible. If so, can you outline the steps here(or in a PM, or a new thread, or whatever)?

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Open X-terminal and click on the top bar. Select Font. Then you can see two gray boxes with label "Colour" on the left. The left box selects the text color and the right one the background color. Only affects terminal.

The Following User Says Thank You to chainreaction For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by chainreaction View Post
Open X-terminal and click on the top bar. Select Font. Then you can see two gray boxes with label "Colour" on the left. The left box selects the text color and the right one the background color. Only affects terminal.
Wow, awesome. How come I've never thought of that before?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
It's theme dependant, I'm actually working on a theme called Redmond, that will be black text on grey backround.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
It's theme dependant, I'm actually working on a theme called Redmond, that will be black text on grey backround.
Shouldn't that be white text on a blue background.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by digittante View Post
reduces rendering power consumption (really?)
No. .

I would think it has some negligible effect on power consumption if it's set to a white background, as no power as to be applied to those specific pixels to activate them in order to block the backlight (and therefore turn the background black).

A white background uses less (albeit, likely negligible) power than a black background.

I'm very pleased with this setup as its easier on the eyes