Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
Hi!

I was at the stand from Sygic at the CeBIT 2010 in Hannover, Germany!
They said to me that the software is already finished. But they're waiting for an response ("okay" or stlt ?!?) from Nokia.
->The Problem isn't Sygic. It's Nokia.

That is what I heard.

Skyscraper
PS: Sorry for my bad english. I'm German
Nokia has long ago abandoned the N900. They simply dont care what people here think. Period.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Nokia has long ago abandoned the N900. They simply dont care what people here think. Period.
I wouldnt go that far... but there is no excuse for not having Ovi Store ready with paid content. It is a soure of incoming for both Nokia and developers, so it should be available since N900 launch date!!

I've seen a lot of members defending Nokia with the example that iPhone and/or Android also took some time to ge things running... Come on fellows, a lead company on mobile market like Nokia surely knows the competitors fault, and it is expected that they avoid doing the same mistakes!!!

How hard can it be to set up a web site for paid content?? (providing that they did plan ahead BEFORE launching N900, I guess that was the problem... they let things like Ovi Store, Ovi Suite, Maps, etc to be worked on AFTER the N900 was out... if I am right it would be a basic mistake from nokia management...)

Have you even looked at these forums? It's full of thousands of people posting the same stuff repeatedly over and over again, on topics they have no clue about, without first reading their n900's manual, without searching the wiki, without searching the forums to see if there already exists a topic, and so on... If I was Nokia I wouldn't want to wade through this stuff either.

Heck, how many weeks ago did Sygic state that they've submitted the app to Ovi and are now waiting for Nokia to fix Ovi? 8? Yet every week atleast 4 people ask the same thing. Sad, really.

There's no point in answering questions and replying to people's thoughts when people don't read the answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Have you even looked at these forums? It's full of thousands of people posting the same stuff repeatedly over and over again, on topics they have no clue about, without first reading their n900's manual, without searching the wiki, without searching the forums to see if there already exists a topic, and so on... If I was Nokia I wouldn't want to wade through this stuff either.

Heck, how many weeks ago did Sygic state that they've submitted the app to Ovi and are now waiting for Nokia to fix Ovi? 8? Yet every week atleast 4 people ask the same thing. Sad, really.

There's no point in answering questions and replying to people's thoughts when people don't read the answers.
Consumers are waiting for something they expected a long time ago.... They won't just stop complaining while Nokia doesn't do their job right and fix Ovi Store for Maemo!! You may be the type of patient consumer who doesn't care too much how long it takes, but IMHO people should keeping asking to put some preasure on Nokia in order to gave N900 the priority it is not having now....

The Following User Says Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
I agree, we need a full turn-by-turn GPS app, I wouldn't have bought the N900 if Sygic hadn't announced that they will make this program, and that it should be ready in december. Now imagine how I feel (just like most of you guys), three months later and I still have to use my HTC Diamond in my car for turn-by-turn navigation.

Nokia doesn't look serious about the N900, and that's very sad, we have paid a lot of money for this phone and today it can't be used for turn-by-turn GPS navigation

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
From an earlier conversation with a Sygic representative a couple of months ago. They told me they were ready to release the app but Nokia stepped in and wanted to do something with Sygic. In the meantime, Sygic have fixed a few bugs and made some enhancements to the software but I suspect that it was Nokia's involvement that has prevented Sygic from releasing this earlier.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Really? Did you even think about this post?

Clearly you are an inexperienced used frustrated because you don't know how to use your N900.

N900 lacks GPS, MMS and video calling - 3 features which are KEY, but there is NO doubt in my mind that it WILL be implemented soon, give the nokia developers some time.

In the meantime the N900 is basically a mini laptop in my pocket - the nokia dude was not exaggerating when he said it was a computer in your pocket.

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
From an earlier conversation with a Sygic representative a couple of months ago. They told me they were ready to release the app but Nokia stepped in and wanted to do something with Sygic. In the meantime, Sygic have fixed a few bugs and made some enhancements to the software but I suspect that it was Nokia's involvement that has prevented Sygic from releasing this earlier.
Personally I think there is something more to this than meets the eye. Sygic WANT to protect their product from being copied, maybe the next major update (which is soon I think), will bring something that will allow this, thats why they are waiting.

I think it will be released before the end of this month, probably within before the 15th, we will have to wait and see.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
I agree, we need a full turn-by-turn GPS app, I wouldn't have bought the N900 if Sygic hadn't announced that they will make this program, and that it should be ready in december. Now imagine how I feel (just like most of you guys), three months later and I still have to use my HTC Diamond in my car for turn-by-turn navigation.

Nokia doesn't look serious about the N900, and that's very sad, we have paid a lot of money for this phone and today it can't be used for turn-by-turn GPS navigation
Funny, I could have written that message - I have also kept my old HTC Diamond with TomTom for GPS navigation. I tried OVI Maps, Navit and Maemo Mapper and, even though the latter is almost usable for turn-by-turn, it hasn't yet attained the level of usability that I have come to expect from TomTom (aside from Navit, both OVI and Maemo Mapper are also meant to download maps dynamically which can be costly when you're not in your country).
I really don't understand why Nokia doesn't do an INCREMENTAL OVI map release -all they would need is to add dynamic routing when you stray off - regular routing already exists so this is a very minor thing to do. If this existed, I think most of us (myself at least) would stop whining...

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
I found out by Sygic technical support that their product uses Navteq maps, which is suspicious since Nokia owns the company... Check out the Ovi Blog comments where a Nokia employee named Niini confirms that Ovi Maps team are working on including turn-by-turn on N900.

My conspiracy theory is that Nokia is porting their Symbian version based on WRT (Nokia's webkit), to one based on Qt4.6 webkit. That would (theoretically) enable them to develop the same Ovi Maps application for both Maemo, Meego and Symbian devices. I just don't know what it is the deal between Nokia and Sygic, since having Ovi Maps with free navigation and delaying Sygic Mobile Maps launch at the same time it would destroy any business partnership...

The Following User Says Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn