Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
vitorgregorio: I've noticed that some apps don't appear in the LXDE menu, too. What do you mean, "the menu of the Debian also disappeared"? Reinstalling the image or easy debian probably won't fix your problem.

OptX, hstende: You have to apt-get install libgtkstylus to get tap-and-hold right-click.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
I installed easy debian and it was working fine before but now when I try to start it, the desktop loads up but the screen flickers at the top where the panel bar should be. I tried to do a renistall by deleting the 2gb file and installing again, but the problem persists.
Can anyone tell me which files I should delete so that I can do a totally fresh install?

I am really starting to get into Easy Debian, and I would like to understand if I can somehow get to the Easy Debian chrooted environment from the Maemo native environment. For example, if I created a text file inside Easy Debian, I would like to access it from the regular N900 operating system environment (perhaps through file manager or via xterminal (CLI).

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
bret hart:

Please make sure that there is only one image file on your device. This seems to be the problem for people reporting problems with the top menu.

Delete the old debian-m5-v2 file and use the debian-m5-v3b one instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
I am really starting to get into Easy Debian, and I would like to understand if I can somehow get to the Easy Debian chrooted environment from the Maemo native environment. For example, if I created a text file inside Easy Debian, I would like to access it from the regular N900 operating system environment (perhaps through file manager or via xterminal (CLI).

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.
There's no problem with doing that, just do it. Your home directory is mounted by Maemo and Debian at the same time. You might however want to stop editing in one of the two before switching over to the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
When I try using synaptic package manager, roxterm opens up prompting for a root password. When I try and enter anything the characters wont show up. What should the default password be? I have not set any pw up, not even in maemo, so how do I get past the password promt?

if you must use synaptic inside the LXDE environment, use "sudo synaptic" from either the "Run" menu item or from the roxterm terminal. I think one of the synaptic menu items might do this for you. You can also set the root password with "sudo passwd".

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I need to get a new version into testing. I think the current Extras-devel version is good enough. Remind me: anyone find any showstoppers in 0.9.45 that I need to fix before pushing to Extras-testing?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I need to get a new version into testing. I think the current Extras-devel version is good enough. Remind me: anyone find any showstoppers in 0.9.45 that I need to fix before pushing to Extras-testing?
Not a showstopper, but what about deleting the theme setting line in ~/.config/lxde/config that prevents people from modifying themes in LXDE because it's overriding the settings in .gtkrc-2.0 ?

Coming back to an issue I raised before: I now realized that the different behavior of debbie versus sudo debian su - user comes from the fact that in /usr/bin/debbie you have su without "-"
Code:
if [ $# = 0 ] ; then
  echo Starting Debian shell... >/dev/stderr
  sudo /sbin/debian su $DEBUSER
else
  # Workaround to allow "debbie" to be used as login shell
  if [ "$1" == "-c" ]; then
    shift
  fi
  echo Starting Debian $* >/dev/stderr
  sudo /sbin/debian su $DEBUSER -c "$*"
fi
Is that on purpose, i.e. did you find it safer not to have a login shell behavior by default?

EDIT: I see it's too late for Testing now, so that's for the next round. Congrats btw for being constantly on Downloads/Popular!

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-03-09 at 10:27.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
Im using Easy Debian with the ubuntu img. from hstende. I have a problem with the desktop. Is that locked in some way ? I cant drag the Documents folder anywhere, and if i use the "add to desktop" option, the shortcut does not show up. What do i have to change ?

And sudo passwd does not help me. When i type sudo passwd, i have to enter a password first, because of the sudo

hstende did you set up a password ?

The Following User Says Thank You to OptX For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze