Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
fwiw 28 bugs fixed for the official platform and applications last week: http://www.octofish.net/bugjar/
This ? :

Maemo Official Platform Bug Jar 2010.10

As of 2010-03-08 Maemo Official Platform contains 3166 items (+34 this week), including 696 open issues (-6 this week):

* 498 open bugs (no change this week)
o 28 critical/blocker (no change this week)
o 7 "easyfix" (+1 this week)
o 110 "moreinfo" (+1 this week)
o 25 "crash" (-1 this week)
o 21 "patch" (+2 this week)
o 17 reopened (-1 this week)
o 169 unconfirmed (-5 this week)
* 198 open enhancements (-6 this week)
o 1 "easyfix" (no change this week)
o 7 "moreinfo" (-1 this week)
o 4 "patch" (no change this week)
o 8 reopened (no change this week)
o 32 unconfirmed (-4 this week)

I tried to include this information in the wiki yesterday but, frankly, I got lost in all the numbers.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's my job.

EDIT: hey Mandor, a suggestion-- include links to your projects, like the wiki page, in your signature here for broad exposure.
Great idea !

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
New information: the N900 will be the first ARM reference hardware platform for MeeGo.
If you wait a little more (PR 1.2 and Harmattan alpha SDK release) you will get more announcements and future plans. I'll do my best hunting for the Ovi Maps answer.
@qgil,

Thanks for the heads up, I am now more anxious than ever for PR1.2 and Harmattan alpha SDK releases. Not just for the fixes/improvements, but exactly for the clarification of future plans for N900, just hope the news will be detailed enough for clearing all the uncertainty and not lead to further FUD, although as you said before "customers always want to know more"... so a little uncertainty will always exist since there are pessimistic people all around!!

About the Ovi Maps, I've asked about it on blog.ovi.com and your colleague @Niini from Nokia has confirmed that the responsible team is working on turn-by-turn navigation for N900. Here is the link:

http://blog.ovi.com/2010/03/02/new-p...bile/#comments

I also got a similar answer by email from Nokia USA Customer Care channel. If that is true it would be good to include on the Wiki and certainly would remove a lot of FUD from customers missing navigation apps. Can you please check internally?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
@qgil,

About the Ovi Maps, I've asked about it on blog.ovi.com and your colleague @Niini from Nokia has confirmed that the responsible team is working on turn-by-turn navigation for N900. Here is the link:

http://blog.ovi.com/2010/03/02/new-p...bile/#comments
wohoo i actually got a reply from post abt maps. now i feel i should have asked if they include portrait mode for maps

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
(By the way, meego.org was taken and insanely expensive.
The admin for meego.org is surely having a laugh with the current home page...

If someone buys it for the MeeGo project we will use it immediately.)
Not sure what that would achieve, other than more confusion and change for the sake of change.

Make a decision, stick with it. The future is meego.com.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Now, I admit, MeeGo is a nice goal but somehow it feels like we're jumping from the Maemo beta to the MeeGo alpha build without having a proper RTM in between.
Without wishing to be nasty, it's impossible to read about the Cascade of Attention-Deficit Teenagers software development model and not think of Maemo!

I'm hopeful that the involvement of Intel and LF will help Nokia break the "v0.8, v0.8, v0.8" cycle that has been evident until now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The admin for meego.org is surely having a laugh with the current home page...
It seems some Chinese guy was faster than Nokia and Intel.... I was wondering why they decided to go with .COM domain instead of .ORG, but I thought they registered both domains.... Beginner mistake from two mega companies, unless "meego" means something in chinese:

WHOIS information for meego.org :

[Querying whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
[whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
NOTICE: Access to .ORG WHOIS information is provided to assist persons in
determining the contents of a domain name registration record in the Public Interest Registry
registry database. The data in this record is provided by Public Interest Registry
for informational purposes only, and Public Interest Registry does not guarantee its
accuracy. This service is intended only for query-based access. You agree
that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
circumstances will you use this data to: (a) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than
the data recipient's own existing customers; or (b) enable high volume,
automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of
Registry Operator or any ICANN-Accredited Registrar, except as reasonably
necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations. All
rights reserved. Public Interest Registry reserves the right to modify these terms at any
time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Domain ID154592597-LROR
Domain Name:MEEGO.ORG
Created On:01-Nov-2008 12:55:18 UTC
Last Updated On:26-Oct-2009 02:50:51 UTC
Expiration Date:01-Nov-2010 12:55:18 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Xin Net Technology Corporation (R118-LROR)
Registrant ID:cx8gsweou4j42k
Registrant Name:sun alex
Registrant Organization:sun alex
Registrant Street1:shanghai
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:shanghai
Registrant State/Province:Shanghai
Registrant Postal Code:200231
Registrant Country:CN
Registrant Phone:+86.02124677115
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+86.1010101010
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:linuxuse@gmail.com
Admin ID:cx1gsweou4j42k
Admin Name:sun alex
Admin Organization:sun alex
Admin Street1:shanghai
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:shanghai
Admin State/Province:Shanghai
Admin Postal Code:200231
Admin Country:CN
Admin Phone:+86.02124677115
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+86.1010101010
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:linuxuse@gmail.com
Tech ID:cx1gsweou4j42k
Tech Name:sun alex
Tech Organization:sun alex
Tech Street1:shanghai
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:shanghai
Tech State/Province:Shanghai
Tech Postal Code:200231
Tech Country:CN
Tech Phone:+86.02124677115
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+86.1010101010
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:linuxuse@gmail.com
Name Server:NS1.ICPCN.NET
Name Server:NS3.ICPCN.NET

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
It seems some Chinese guy was faster than Nokia and Intel....
Well to be fair, it does appear to have been created (registered?) as far back as November 2008, so unless Nokia or Intel have access to a time machine it's not likely they could have done much about this other than offer to buy the domain (which is presumably what they did with meego.com as this domain has been registered since February 1999), but obviously the .org domain owner asked for more than Nokia/Intel were prepared to pay.

Since he's now stuck up a home page with text that could lead the (very) unwary into thinking it may be an official meego web site (as there is no evidence that the site is not associated with Nokia, Intel, Linux Foundation or even MeeGo) I'd say he's starting to swim in dangerous waters and it might be time to unleash the legal attack dogs or claim make a claim for squatting.

That said, changing the domain name for the MeeGo project so soon after announcing meego.com would be idiotic, but somehow fitting and in keeping with Maemo tradition.

Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
This ? :

o 28 critical/blocker (no change this week)
Nope, this:

Maemo Official Applications Bug Jar 2010.10

11 bugs were resolved "fixed":
+ this:

17 bugs were resolved "fixed":

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Well to be fair, it does appear to have been created (registered?) as far back as November 2008
You're right, but it is a shame they couldn't take the domain back....

[Off-Topic] Here at Brazil we have many juridical problems, but at least for Internet Domains politicians created a law that allow for a company take back the related domain if it is proved that the person who registered is not even using it and the purpose was just to sell it. Sure it might take years to conclude the process... but that's another story...[/Off-Topic]

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Italy
It is sold as a mobile computer with the Internet in its heart, and it was introduced as 'step 4 of 5' for tech leaders / lovers. If you want a mature Nokia mobile phone with extensive Java support and full SIM features then there are plenty of choices based on Series40 and Symbian. I think Nokia has been clear on that since http://maemo.nokia.com was launched this Summer.

The N900 is the best mobile device I have ever got. I'm really happy with it, using it at all times. I have met plenty of very interesting people with the income and the chance to buy whatever high-end device, and they had an N900.

Others might have different opinions, of course.
Hi Qgil....I'm reading the thread right now...so I hope this is not already post by someone else...but I would like to say something now.

Ok...Nokia has told that N900 was more a "Mobile computer" than a phone....but Nokia cannot sell a device for 599€ with all the limitations that N900 has and pretend that many people doesn't complain about these !
I bought the N900 in november 09 but I couldn't still use it as my primary phone because of bugs and problems with Mail For Exchange /Calendar.
I use the smarthphone mainly for business and need to sync the mails, contacts, calendar and tasks with our company Exchange 2003 SP2 server.
This is still not possible because of several small bugs (like this one of recurring events: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7971 )

I think that for an "mobile computer" these features are crucial and I would have expected as top class:
- email
- standard business apps (like Office viewer and edit SW)
- good PIM functions and compatibility with open standard and de-facto std (like Outlook, Exchange, etc)
- decent navigator SW
and I could go on in many aspects...

Instead these points are the weakest in N900/Maemo 5! Apart from excellent internet browsing all the other aspects are poor implemented or there are present only the basic features.
Modest is really...."modest" email client ! Calendar apps is the most basic I ever seen (quite similar to a very old symbian under 100 € phone) etc etc.

The absurd is that we have better multimedia features (decent camera with flash, very good movie playback etc) than business ones !

I really apreciate some of Nokia guys (like Vitaly) and you that are present and usually reply to us in this forums, but I need also reasonable answer from Nokia in terms of support and visible action.

I understand that to re-write everything (OVi Maps, the phone app etc) for Linux require some time but then Nokia should have not
sell this device as a top class device of 599€ but give it for at least less than half that price and clearly state that is a "beta" device.
Nothing of this is made clear in these pages:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...specifications
(I put the Uk ones...not the italian ones just to be english text).
No specification that MFE didn't work with Exchange 2003 (only after PR 1.1 and not completely), that Ovi Maps were only basic and not at thee same level of symbian etc etc.

I REALLY hope that PR 1.2 will address to some of these big problems and let me start using the N900 as a primary work phone and not only as a very expensive useless hobby device.

Moreover I just let you know that many Italian users I know have already sold their N900 due to all these delays in implementing such basic features and most important because Nokia is not showing real committment to support this platform, with all of this FUD and no clear path with Meego/Maemo 6 evolution.

Perhaps I should make like them, sell N900 buy an Android or Iphone device that has thousand od apps NOW and are feature complete NOW and then , after a year or so eventually come back.
But I would like not to loose many Euros since I just bought the N900 few month ago and I love the open-source attitude and the HW device is really nice !

But the world is running everyday faster and the competion is fierce...Please give us some clear arguments to keep me on Maemo platform and N900 device.

Greets from Italy,
SkyEagle

Last edited by SkyEagle; 2010-03-09 at 18:38.