Notices

I agree that a daemon is needed. I would also like to see a small daemon. There are a couple of services that uses my public google badge and they are not updating my position after I changed to n900. Maybe I'll try to continue the development on lardmans daemon code if I can find all files and info I need. But I haven't even downloaded the sdk yet.

Originally Posted by hermitoz View Post
Is someone working on a automatic updater right now? I read about it earlier but I haven't heard of it since.
It would be really nice with a daemon updating my position every half hour or so. Now I update it manually if I move far distances and remember it.
I would love automatic update as well - it just isn't as useful having to update manually.

Couldn't one just add a timer that pretends to click the update gps button every n seconds/minutes? I for one don't even want a daemon for this, it's fine to just start the program and click the auto-update button and when i don't want to auto-update anymore, I'd just close the program. I'd figure that clicking the auto-update could launch some timer/sleep thread that would fire some updateGpsButtonClicked function when done.

That would be a quick, working, solution..

But I wonder, is it only happening to me that the app forgets the login details at every launch?

This is why I never want to launch it.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
The app doesn't forget the credentials here, but I would still prefer a daemon rather than having a running app in the multi-task view.
Is someone working on something like this? Without this I think Google Latitude is kind of useless, or at least half of it. My friends can't trust that my position is always up to date.

The Following User Says Thank You to hermitoz For This Useful Post:
I have been playing little with google maps and seem to like it. Looks like it is the best alternative for now. In the hover mode, you can double tap to zoom in.

But is there a way to zoom out of the map? I couldn't find an option to do that.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Iowa, USA
Hey all,

I've managed to write a short python app which will update my Google Latitude position to any specified lat/lon/accuracy and am now in the process of converting it to C.

I suppose a control panel applet which provided a config screen for the desired GPS accuracy, google login creds, and desired update interval would be pretty useful?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klowner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by Klowner View Post
Hey all,

I've managed to write a short python app which will update my Google Latitude position to any specified lat/lon/accuracy and am now in the process of converting it to C.

I suppose a control panel applet which provided a config screen for the desired GPS accuracy, google login creds, and desired update interval would be pretty useful?
Absolutely. That would be perfect.

Originally Posted by Klowner View Post
Hey all,

Absolutely! Nice.. But I would be happy with a simple config file as well since I wont change it very often anyway.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Iowa, USA
Authentication and position updating works in C, now I just have to figure out the location api and maemo UI stuff.