Active Topics

How to connect my N900 to Samba on Ubuntu over Wifi?

Thank you for help.
Magnar

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
any ideas? also interested in this thanks in advance

There's a kernel module kicking around to support smb. Risky... potential problems. Unnecessary.

There's another option though.

Setup openssh server on your n900. Have a root terminal and change the root password is highly recommended.

Then from say ubuntu or similar gnome system, create a launcher with the command of;

Code:
nautilus sftp://<ip of n900>/
You can further advance the command depending;

Code:
nautilus sftp://<ip of n900>/media/mmc1/
IF you have the memory card. Otherwise use this next one.

Code:
nautilus sftp://<ip of n900>/home/user/MyDocs

Now. The speed of this is soooo much slower then a usb 2.0 port.

Last edited by Munky9001; 2010-02-05 at 17:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munky9001 For This Useful Post:
the fact that we can use SSH is a pretty good thing, but the lame excuses in order to not provide samba option is bullcrap. Sometimes it is needed

You can also mount the samba share to the directory /media/Remote_Filesystems/SomeDirectory.

I initially had problems mounting the samba share (see thread http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=95), but it works fine now.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by galets View Post
the fact that we can use SSH is a pretty good thing, but the lame excuses in order to not provide samba option is bullcrap. Sometimes it is needed
In my experience Samba does not cope well with an unstable link so there are good reasons to avoid it wherever possible.

There is also the security issue, by default it could let anyone else connected to the same cell tower as you browse your shares.

Fact is, by making it hard to install Samba (at least as a server) then it means only the people who REALLY know what they are doing will do so. As already mentioned, the module to support connecting to shares is readily available but only in extras-devel I believe as its not something you want kicking around a novices N900. Personally I have not tried SMB shares yet as I suspect it would be a real problem when you forget and roam out of WiFi range, its not something SMB was ever designed to cope with.

Connecting to Samba has always been problematic for me even in Windows, if you are using WiFi and the link suddenly drops it tends to hang the share, or if the network takes slightly longer than expected to come up it fails to reconnect your mapped drives. Quite frankly its just a royal PITA so I can understand why Nokia are discouraging its use.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Wizard Mounter

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
I found this before I figured it out my self, so I know this thread is old, but incase anyone else runs in to this thread, the app I found for mounting SMB shares is midnight commander and it's currently in extras

The Following User Says Thank You to svega85 For This Useful Post: