Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Found this..

Comment #20 from Ralph B 2007-09-17 18:18:38 GMT+3 [reply]
I am surprised to see no mention of a simple workaround for this problem,
namely setting LC_TIME=de_DE in /etc/osso-af-init/locale.

After a reboot, this results in 24hr clock display, but preserves other
regional settings (decimal point, 1000s separator etc).

Note that changes to /etc/osso-af-init/locale are overwritten if regional
settings are later changed via the GUI.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=303

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Open Terminal. To change you need to be root (ie. install rootsh)

1.) write "root" to go root.
2.) write "leafpad /etc/osso-af-init/locale"
3.) At Local_Time write "en_UK"

You will need to install leafpad or change the name to another notepad.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-03-11 at 12:30.

did it work?

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
I'm kind of amused, checked the bug you linked and comment #18 was particularily amusing
Comment #18 from Quim Gil (Nokia) 2007-03-30 10:46:16 GMT+3 [reply]
Conclusions:

- Our plan is to allow users to select not only 12/24h but most (all?) of their
locale definition through a proper UI in the Settings. This would include
setting preferences for date formats, currencies, sorting types...
Anyway, did as you said, results are somewhat mixed. en_US and de_CH results in calendar being partially in German (Donnerstag instead of Thursday) but dates are still 11/03 instead of 11.03. I guess I'll have to live with that

But the 3 years ago somewhat promised extensive setting panel for language and region settings would rock. Something other mobile platforms are actually ahead of maemo, for years already. Think of the otherwise very limited Windows Mobile platform which does indeed provide quite extensive settings for language and region settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
I'm kind of amused, checked the bug you linked and comment #18 was particularily amusing

Anyway, did as you said, results are somewhat mixed. en_US and de_CH results in calendar being partially in German (Donnerstag instead of Thursday) but dates are still 11/03 instead of 11.03. I guess I'll have to live with that

But the 3 years ago somewhat promised extensive setting panel for language and region settings would rock. Something other mobile platforms are actually ahead of maemo, for years already. Think of the otherwise very limited Windows Mobile platform which does indeed provide quite extensive settings for language and region settings.
Yeah.. this are pretty basic stuff and should be supported. It should not be hard to implement. I do not have any problems on my destop pc which runs Ubuntu/Linux. It has many things in common to Maemo.

I have still much to learn about Maemo and are sure there is a way to do as you like. I have just not found it. I saw something about making settings in Gconf. That might be a better solution than the one i found.

Or maybe you should write a mail to Qgil. He should be able to explain this better than me.

He most likely would be the one to explain it. On the other hand, with the merger of Moblin and Maemo the guys behind the scene are more than just busy and I don't even want to know how many of them commit suicide because of the stress and difficulties this merger brings...

So whatever, I'll see what we'll get in the future. Maybe Moblin *does* correct alot of stuff Maemo is missing.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
So currently it is the Device language setting which controls the Date format and not the Regional settings
Ah. Got it. :-D
Sounds like https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6363 - feel free to vote for that bug (but please avoid "I want this too" comments). Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Thanks Andre! Yes, this is the exact bug which bugs [giggle] me as well. Thanks for pointing it out.
Casted a vote on it.