Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Nokia verbally said MMS would be coming to the N900...
Sorry, but citation needed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
?? Its N900 related is it not. In addition its not an 'app' its an integral function for a GSM/3G device.
This kinda sums up the whole issue with the maemo.org n900 forum. The n900 forum discusses hardware. Maemo 5 is the software running on the n900, which is missing an app from Nokia that does mms.

So, yeah, the thread belongs HERE. You didn't buy a Samsung Flip Phone, you bought a linux handheld w/3g radio, along with the maemo 5 OS. The sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you will begin to understand why it is that this post makes little sense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
I don't have any proof, but I simply cannot comprehend it. It just doesn't make sense! A top of the range N series phone without MMS support? Without Video calling?

No, I don't see it staying this way for long.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Read what you wrote. "A top of the range N series phone"

This is not a top of the range N series phone. The Symbian devices you're used to are not the same as the N900. Beyond the usual points (step 4 out of 5, internet tablet/mobile computer with telephony, aimed at early adopters enthusiasts & developers) there is the issue that it was never put in the same context as those devices. This isn't Howardforums where things are pigeonholed that way. Plus there was no concrete evidence or statement that these features would be added.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
This kinda sums up the whole issue with the maemo.org n900 forum. The n900 forum discusses hardware. Maemo 5 is the software running on the n900, which is missing an app from Nokia that does mms.

So, yeah, the thread belongs HERE. You didn't buy a Samsung Flip Phone, you bought a linux handheld w/3g radio, along with the maemo 5 OS. The sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you will begin to understand why it is that this post makes little sense.
Yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Read what you wrote. "A top of the range N series phone"

This is not a top of the range N series phone..................
Yes.
What does it say on the back of your phone? Mine clearly say Nseries.

Sure it's running debian and more like an N810 with phone capabilities, but Nokia are not the type to leave out features like Apple.

They provide a complete solution, and we won't see in Maemo 5 as that will be replaced soon, but we will certainly see it make it to the N900 be it via Meego, or an update.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Lot of spinning in this thread by some. Nokia implied both MMS and protrait would be coming. No problem for me- back to my G1 and N900 is a media device / back-up phone. Great for that function, not so great compared to the G1 in regards to smartphone function.

Now that Android has a very good Amiga emulator, my N900 seems even less of a concern. Ruff n Tumble and Stunt Track Racer playing 100% with sound on the 528mhz G1. Cool

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
What about for receiving? also no need to manually connect?
Same thing there. I tap the push-message, fmms opens and receive the message.

/oxpo

edit: Oh, someone else had already answered that.

Last edited by oxpo; 2010-03-11 at 07:13.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
Same thing there. I tap the push-message, fmms opens and receive the message.

/oxpo
How do you know you are expecting a message?
or you get the normal sms saying you have a multimedia sms waiting?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
How do you know you are expecting a message?
or you get the normal sms saying you have a multimedia sms waiting?
You get a special push message.

/oxpo

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Sorry, but citation needed.
Oh enough already!

I know for a definite fact that at least the german Nokia website had the line "MMS: In Vorbereitung" in the tech specs for the N900 when they started touting it all over the place. I have seen it with my very own eyes. Of course, Nokia, making sure their stuff is not archived, and me being too naive to save a screenshot makes it hard to prove things like that now.

Fact is, while the development team may always have known that MMS wasn't on the roadmap, marketing went berzerk on this supposed new flagship and touted it as the next great thing since the invention of sliced bread.

Obviously there have been some serious issues regarding communication inside Nokia when it comes to this device, and contrary to what people say, it has been offered as something it is not.

This doesn't make the device any less great, but I am sick of people telling others that essentially they were too stupid to pick the right product.

Regards,
Chris.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrget For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
What does it say on the back of your phone? Mine clearly say Nseries.
I can see where you went wrong. You are slightly mistaken.

You said it was a top of the line Nseries phone. It is in fact a top of the line Nseries frisbee.

Tags
fmms, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, rehash