Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Barrie, Ontario, Canada
I'll start here for some help. I installed EasyDebian, was working great.. not paying attention while in LXDE and I hit shutdown rather than logoff. The CPU was still set to performance mode and the n810 shutdown. Now when I attempt to start it I get the Nokia screen, it blanks out, another Nokia screen, and than it shutsdown.

Anyway to recover short of reflashing ?

Hey guys... do you know of any way to make ice weasle (firefox) any more stable? It seems to crash at the most random times. I absolutely love using it, but hesitate to make any purchases with it for this reason. Not sure if getting the latest image or make space on my current image would help. The only addon I have installed is the Google toolbar. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Greece-Athens
Can we have debian 5? I saw many images in qole.org/files and got coonfused

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, the Diablo version runs a hybrid Debian 5 (lenny) / Debian 6 (squeeze) system. The installer downloads the right file...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Which rootfs for which device?

(1) I wanted to untar a root-fs into an ext3 mmc partition (using my deskop linux box) but I wasn't sure which one is the right one for my n810/diablo. I picked debian-m5-v3b-rootfs from http://qole.org/. That basically worked, but then I found that I couldn't change fonts in LXDE. Then I was wondering if the "m5" indicated that this rootf is intended for the n900. What is the correct rootfs for n810 diablo?

Any cleanups needed?

(2) Is there anything easy debian remembers on the diablo filesystem (some /home/user/dotfiles) which could get in the way when I change the rootfs. Is there anything I should delete or change (other then the IMAGE setting of course) ?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
drautzburg: The main difference between m5 rootfs and older ones is the alignment with Fremantle's theme and pulseaudio sound system. The m5 system should work on the N810. You might need to edit /home/user/.gtkrc-2.0 to change the font.

There are some configuration files stored in /home/user, such as the files in the .config folder (including LXDE config), .openoffice.org folder, .gimp-2.6, and .gcjwebplugin

Last edited by qole; 2010-02-27 at 17:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I got the Debian5 to work fine by partitioning my mmc1 has an ext2 and moving the *.tar.gz to the mmc1 folder and extracting with tar -xvf *.tar.gz I did not have to change any fonts for it to work, but I did have to upgrade lxde for it to run -- and run it did smoothly.

However, like Debian4,Debian5 must also pin package udev or else it crashes either Debian (might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto). The package udev upgrades to an incompatible kernel, effectively locking any changes to dkpg/apt. Source files can still be compiled for the most part though.

Qole, I see hal and dbus pinned; you might want to also pin udev with a command like this in the /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: udev
Pin version 0.125-7
Pin-Priority: 1001

I haven't tried yet, but it might need an even earler version of udev.

I didn't notice Debian crashing with updated udev. I confess that I've been spending all my time on the N900 version of Easy Debian lately. (But I've learned a few new tricks and I intend to backport them to the Diablo version soon.)

can someone help me with resizing the ext2 image? I need to install LyX and texlive and I need a lot more space. I tried to follow the directions here, but I did them on my desktop to the file on my memory card, not on the tablet:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=221

When the file is on the tablet, it can't find it, and even when I explicitly set it I get "the image file does not exist or is neither a regular nor a block special file"

do I need to do anything different since I'm running it on the desktop? Or are the instructions out of date?

Did I make the image too big? On the tablet when I ls in the directory, it says "ls: /debian.img.ext2: Value too large for defined data type". I made it 2500M.

I can only guess that you made the image too big. I find that 2GB seems to be the biggest "safe" size. I seriously suggest repartitoning your SD card instead of using an image file. A partition is a lot faster on the N8x0 tablets, too.

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free