Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I did not mean my comment to be taken this way. Regardless of the analogy with the car, you should not expect it for free. Think about the logistics of setting this up for everyone by default.

Normally these things are possible via third parties, but they are not cheap. It would be a premium subscription service. Would you have been happy to pay an extra $30 a month say?

As I stated earlier, there are people working on a way to do this. You could have done this yourself with a small script, if you had enabled GPS location on the phone, written the location to a file and sent the file to your home PC via SSH or similar. You would probably need a static IP address from your ISP which is why it is not for everyone, hence the reason subscription services exist or everyone would be doing it. There are ways to do this without static IP but it adds to the complexity of a one-size-fits-all solution.

A static IP address will normally cost you extra, so either way you are going to have to pay something for it.

It has the capability to do it. You just need to set it up.

When you bought the phone did you look into mitigating against its loss in any way? Did you investigate safeguarding measures, take out insurance or anything else? Let us know what you did and we can try to help if we can.

Originally Posted by 6sicSIX View Post
John, your car may have cost 20x as much, but it isn't one of the best cars money can buy is it?
The n900 is the best phone (in my opinion) that money can buy, so i think it should come with tracking.. even the n96 has remote wipe & lock.
thats just like sayingthe Lacetti is the best car (IMO) that
money can buy
. Does it come with tracking??

Originally Posted by herix1 View Post
I didn't setup any tracking service or anything like that. I wonder if there's any service that will allow me to track it via GPS using IMEI number.

I should mention that I am in US.
call your provider and they will lock the imei..
dont you have phone insurance in the states??

how did u manage that? only thing i can suggest is getting the device blocked by operator and contacting your insurance company

or go out and buy another one!!

I've had these fears and put some measures in place to have a shot at recovery.
Your story gave me the boost to write it all up and give others that option. Here's the howto.