Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Stockholm area
Now I have connection between my 770 and the VNC server via a WAN IP, not bad at all.

Just now I’m running both the VNC server and the IIS server over the IIS server I run a web cam, checking our Car-parking, very neat to see all this in the 770.a

TTP

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the great app!

I am having one weird problem with it that is preventing me from testing it though.
After installing it, I could start the GUI but I didn't try to connect to anything since I didn't have a VNCserver set up. So I went onto do something else. I was streaming some audio and suddenly my wireless connection died. When I tried to reconnect the 770 gave me a connection error. It wouldn't connect to my AP (that uses WPA-PSK) but had no problem connecting to my neighbour's unsecured AP. No amount of reboots or the 770 or my AP allowed it to connect. I also started to have problems accessing some other built in apps like the Control Panel. They would look like they were starting up but wouldn't. I figured that I would reverse the last thing that I did with my 770 (which was installing your vncclient) and as soon as I uninstalled it, my wireless connection and other apps worked.
I can't really understand what is happening here. I will try to do some poking and prodding to see if I can recreate this problem reliably when I have some time.
Does your VNC app require the updated OS firmware or should it run on the stock OS that comes shipped with the N770?
Is anyone else seeing this on a WPA connection?

Originally Posted by mwiktowy
I am having one weird problem with it that is preventing me from testing it though.
After installing it, I could start the GUI but I didn't try to connect to anything since I didn't have a VNCserver set up. So I went onto do something else. I was streaming some audio and suddenly my wireless connection died. When I tried to reconnect the 770 gave me a connection error. It wouldn't connect to my AP (that uses WPA-PSK) but had no problem connecting to my neighbour's unsecured AP. No amount of reboots or the 770 or my AP allowed it to connect. I also started to have problems accessing some other built in apps like the Control Panel. They would look like they were starting up but wouldn't. I figured that I would reverse the last thing that I did with my 770 (which was installing your vncclient) and as soon as I uninstalled it, my wireless connection and other apps worked.
I can't really understand what is happening here. I will try to do some poking and prodding to see if I can recreate this problem reliably when I have some time.
Does your VNC app require the updated OS firmware or should it run on the stock OS that comes shipped with the N770?
Is anyone else seeing this on a WPA connection?
Sounds pretty odd. I seriously doubt that installing VNC is the problem here, since all the install does is add some new files. It doesn't touch any existing settings.

Aaron

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Tampere, Finland
This is a killer application, thanks!

A wish: "Hide/disable scrollbars" feature would be great (now 800x480 sessions still show the scrollbars in full screen mode)

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ NH USA
Originally Posted by ttpcomp
Well, at last I have got my connection between the 770 and my server PC, both running VNC.

I started by disconnecting Internet, then I opened up all roadblocks in windows XP’s Fierwall and in my Router.

But, one thing I noticed, I had to start up a Browser for the 770 to register on my Router, if I didn’t do that first, nothing happen when I started VNC in the 770.

From that I worked my way back, putting in roadblocks after roadblocks in Firewalls and Router.

I am running connection with VNC Password Authentication.

So far so good.

TTP
ttpcomp,

I am trying to connect to a VNC server on an XP box. The connection is successful from my Ubuntu box. What are you typing into the VNC server: field under "VNC Viewer:Connection Details on the 770?

I have been typing in just the server IP address and it fails to connect.

Just the local IP-number (192.168.0.xxx)´, of the PC I'm running the VNC server on.
And as I run Password authentication, i type in the PW.

Switch of the Fierwall in the XP and other blocking, but unhook the Internet first, no need to invite disaster.

I you get a connection just start to put blocking back and last the Internet-connection.

Check what other firewalls you have, Roter, program etc.

TTP

Thanks a million to everyone who replied to my post. Thanks to you, I was able to make this work. It looks like I was making it harder than necessary by adding the screen variable to the connection details dialog input. When I simply entered the ip address, it worked like a charm.

I hope I'll be able to return the favor in the future.

A new release is available. Based on some initial tests on the device itself (as opposed to the scratchbox emulation environment), it seems to work better than the last one overall. Here's the changelog:

* Fixed bug that prevented characters with accents (and other multi-byte characters) from being sent to the VNC server properly
* Fixed bug that kept scrollbars around even when they weren't needed
* New feature: hardware movement keys now scroll the display if held down
* Code cleanup--changed to use gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport. May possibly result in better performance and behavior.

I have to say that scrolling using the hardware movement keys is quite nice :-) . Also, the second changelog entry means that if you setup a VNC server with a geometry of 800x480 or less, you will be able to view it without scrollbars at full screen without the toolbar.

In case some of you are wondering why XYZ feature isn't in this release, I mostly intended it as a bug fix release, but I managed to sneak the hardware movement keys in.

The new package can be found at http://www.aracnet.com/~alevinsn/vnc..._0.1.1_arm.deb. Uninstall the previous package first (actually, it won't let you install without uninstalling the previous package).

Aaron

This is great. I have managed to connect to my XP box which I set up with a desktop dimension of 800x400. Does anyone know of a way to scale down the desktop and applications to a size so that they display better on the 770.

ED