Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
this is telling me that MeeGo is not the 4.5th or 5th of 5 step to complete N900

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
this is telling me that MeeGo is not the 4.5th or 5th of 5 step to complete N900
the five step program is not about the N900.
the N900 is part of the five step program, more exactly the fourth.
meego is the fifth step, providing a platform which is entirely usable by the so-called "average-user".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
now i fully understand, thanks

hmmm....the n900 is just months old, maybe there are more changes and improvements, i hope

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
Hello Valtteri Halla, thank you for posting here to clarify a few things. I am sure you answered a lot of questions people had with your single post alone.
Sorry, I think Electrolind just quoted the blog post from Valtteri. He's not Valtteri.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
the five step program is not about the N900.
the N900 is part of the five step program, more exactly the fourth.
meego is the fifth step, providing a platform which is entirely usable by the so-called "average-user".
I think I've been reading peter shneider's comment's differently.

My take is that Harmattan/Maemo 6 was the step 5 of 5. However, Maemo 6 is now going to be MeeGo 1, which kind of implies that clock has been re-set and that what was Step 5 of 5 is now step 1 of something else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freemantle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
now i fully understand, thanks

hmmm....the n900 is just months old, maybe there are more changes and improvements, i hope
a new Firmware is coming soon, providing some UI changes, the Qt 4.6 support built in, A LOT of bug-fixes and finally the ovi store.

edit:
Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
I think I've been reading peter shneider's comment's differently.

My take is that Harmattan/Maemo 6 was the step 5 of 5. However, Maemo 6 is now going to be MeeGo 1, which kind of implies that clock has been re-set and that what was Step 5 of 5 is now step 1 of something else.
you're right, too.
harmattan is the renamed maemo 6, now the first instance of meego (with still minor differences, like using .deb instead of .rpm in later versions of meego) just the name changed, the system is the same. so harmattan IS step 5 of maemo, IS step one of meego.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-03-15 at 15:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It amazes me how many people blew right past the clarification from STskeeps and zehjotkah. Come on people, slow down and read before going ballistic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I just want the brown tower that comes with step 5.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Crap, now people are spreading this nonsense over twitter.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
"Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. There are no big enhancement requests coming for the N900 so don't bother going on about it. You want it, you code it"

That is a message to people who bought the N900 that it's time for them to become developers because support for the N900 is going to disappear soon.

Do you agree with that message or not?
I think that's interpretation. I don't think letting the community handle things on their own is a bad thing. What is implied here is that if the community handles something, Nokia automatically drops EVERYTHING, and that's clearly not the case. Qt4.6, Qt Mobility, Flash 10.1 are all things that are/will be officially supported and coming from Nokia in the upcoming PR's for Maemo 5, which suggest that even there is a massive focus shift to MeeGo, there are still things happening on the N900 front. But if venting/ranting about speculations of what will (not) happen in 2011 makes people feel better (or simply want to commiserate a perceived injustice), that's OK, too - not really productive, though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76