Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
My understanding of the situation, please feel free to correct any mistakes:

1. Maemo will not be developed in any new versions, the work will be migrated to meego.

2. Maemo 5 will however still benefit as QT will be the development tool for both and thus programs will run on either platform.

3. People feel that Nokia are abandoning hem and pulling the support, when in fact, at least the way I see it, the QT solution actually means an unrivaled level of support (gets benefit from work done on the new platform)

4. People are worried about how these programs will run on Maemo. if QT is really the development tool for both won't the hard-ware be the only limiting factor? I have yet to see a company that will upgrade your hardware for you so I fail to see how this changes anything?

I feel like Nokia are taking a beating a bit unjustly. If I understand it correctly this will be one of the best supported platforms out there thanks to their QT solution (wasn't this half of the idea behind it)? I somehow feel that he real issue here isn't so much the platform and the continued support from Nokia but the fact that in order to keep working on it everyone has to migrate to the meego project?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Just to jab in my own little bit of interpretation (aka trolling and FUD) - I think the real disappointment people have had with the N900 has been the lack of third party software.
I would say the real disappointment is the lack of vendor-supported features common in the smartphone world like (inserts broken record): MMS, Java, Portrait Mode, more Profiles, full USSD support, among others.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
No matter how much people (Nokia or otherwise) go on about QT bringing new support, this does not equate to anything more than apps for the phone. What guarantee do we have that Nokia will continue to provide the little fixes like performance or battery life tweaks, fix memory leaks, improve their core applications like the phone and calendar which are not open source? When Nokia barely say anything about what's coming of course speculation, "trolling", "FUD" and "whining" will happen.

Nokia never manage user expectations properly, have dire customer feedback and utterly unhelpful staff/call-centre scripts. If they'd just tell us what's coming and roughly when (regarding N900/Maemo5 updates/firmware - not even any concerns about MeeGo) then there would be a hell of a lot less of this.

To illustrate: what exactly did happen to the recent firmware update for the UK which never materialised even though (I think) everywhere else got it? Nokia refused to answer that question via phone or email when I asked... not on the N900 Nokia site pages... hmm!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
Nokia never manage user expectations properly, have dire customer feedback and utterly unhelpful staff/call-centre scripts. If they'd just tell us what's coming and roughly when (regarding N900/Maemo5 updates/firmware - not even any concerns about MeeGo) then there would be a hell of a lot less of this.
sure... Nokia should tell us all their market strategy!

oh... forgot the irony tags...

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Too many people here do not think before posting.

I'll consider the worst scenario (for pessimists and FUDders):

Nokia drops immediately support for the N900 and MeeGo isn't available for the N900. Apps between maemo & meego are not compatible. This is the worst scenario possible. What does it mean? N900 will be alive as always. Community added features like MMS (fMMS) , USSD (widget) and many other features. So why are you whining? If maemo isn't upgraded then you have the right to bug the hell out of bugs.maemo.org and get fixes. There are also alternatives to maemo. Meego will be ported unofficially for sure and if not other distros will. The things you should worry about is getting drivers open (at least right to distribute binary drivers and firmwares) and that's all.

I'm coming from openmoko community, a community that's alive even if openmoko Inc. left us with very little support.

Just have fun and enjoy your N900. Software can be changed, so don't worry about it. Nokia is not a vendor that closes up thair devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post:
I have not done that much whining about this BUT even though i'm enjoying the n900 as it is with community apps, but i would like commercial and support from 3rd party delevopers to make games and apps which will keep the n900 interesting. Oh yeh bug fix!.

This is what is cause FUD! developers not supporting n900 because nokia doesnt want to tell any one what the future is for n900.

bollox to nokia!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
Lot of ANSWERS:

http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

And can we wait to end of the month to see what they will offer to us? See post from Quim.

I don't need/want upgrade my (cool!!!) Maemo 5 to Meego on N900. I'll buy NX for Harmattan (and next NY for 100% MeeGo) - and run all my Qt programs on it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kdrozd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I have not done that much whining about this BUT even though i'm enjoying the n900 as it is with community apps, but i would like commercial and support from 3rd party delevopers to make games and apps which will keep the n900 interesting. Oh yeh bug fix!.

This is what is cause FUD! developers not supporting n900 because nokia doesnt want to tell any one what the future is for n900.
Actually, commercial developers care the *least* about the N900's future. Why would they care if you have MMS or video calling or whatever you're missing from Maemo 5 ? There is no commercial developer support for the sole reason of Ovi not providing a framework for that. It has little to nothing to do with the N900 or it's operating system.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by troff76 View Post
Just found this on CNET Asia:

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/03/1...able-to-meego/

Thanks a lot Nokia!

You just killed your flagship device! What are you going to be selling for the rest of the year until your first MeeGo device is released?
If someone else says that the N900 is Nokia's flagship phone I am going to shoot him/her.. lol..

Get your facts right the N97 (sadly) is their flagship phone..

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually, commercial developers care the *least* about the N900's future. Why would they care if you have MMS or video calling or whatever you're missing from Maemo 5 ? There is no commercial developer support for the sole reason of Ovi not providing a framework for that. It has little to nothing to do with the N900 or it's operating system.
well that statement supports my views, obviously not expecting a commerical developers to make mms/video calling. i mean you useful and fun apps that make a phone interesting and fun to use when you are not using for calling or web.

Ovi does not have framework maybe because nokia have not taken finger out of ther azz hence why n900's future is looking some what bleek.

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76