Active Topics

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
You can use it. For exam there IS a mirror application.

But words "fails in the software departure" can be applied to closed OS - you have no chance w/out manufacturer. If we speak about Linux it is not closed at least it is definitely open on valuable levels. So, it can be said "there is no enough Linux applications for you on N900" but not "N900 fails".

As for the applications selection... you know, it is very individual. As for me I don't care about games and similar stuff, for me N900 is a communication device to communicate with people and computers. At this level it plays very well, not ideal but very well - SSH, VPN, FTP etc + GTALK, Skype, SIP, chat, messaging etc.

The only thing that I miss now - video calls from skype.
#Statement 1:U can use it,there is a mirror application.
#Statement 2:It needs video calls

Thx for the laugh .

*yawn* is this thread still going.

for those of you needing to catch up:

1. those who love their n900, love their n900
2. those who dislike their n900, dislike their n900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
7 pages in, I give up. I'm really getting tired of these "I hate this phone so I'm going to tell everyone" posts.

You got a gadget that isn't what you expected. Welcome to reality. Someday we'll all have Tricorders and comm badges that let us communicate in plain spoken English (or Vulcan, Klingon or even Spanish) and get real time complex replies, but until then, you are going to get a few shortcomings.

I really enjoy my N900 (just yesterday I was listening to a streaming podcast with XChat and the browser running concurrently with no problems - and although I didn't use it, I could have used my Bluetooth keyboard to comment in the chatroom too). I guess I could have done something similar with another device, but who the hell cares? FWIW, I lost my 3.5G connection after I got back from a bike ride and it wouldn't find any wifi connections even with a manual search. A quick reset and I was back in business. Yes, I'd like it to "just work" but I had similar strange bugs with my N95 before, and I lived to tell the tale.

That said, if you prefer the Windows way of doing things (or even the S60 way), I could see how you might be put off, maybe even frustrated, by Linux and the *nix way of doing things in general.

And if you really need to rant, please point your browser to http://nokia.howardforums.com/ and complain in the Maemo section. I quit reading that months ago.

I'm really getting tired of seeing all the activity here and most of it being garbage. There is a lot of helpful information, but so much of it is junk like this thread. Will the moderators please start to move some of this stuff to the General section (or better yet, make a garbage dump section to move this stuff to)?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Yes it is still going..... I remember the N95, people rave about how good it was and STILL IS but i bought it right from the word go and the forums were full of the same old stuff, how crap it was and how Nokia dropped a boll*ck releasing an unfinished device.

The N-series always has been and always will be ....like this.

If you dont like phones that contain cutting edge then go for another brand or take a look at the Nokia E-series

The e-series will work out the the box and do 'exactly what is says on the tin'
Rather peversley I dont like the e-series, i LOVE the N-series, I like the quirks, i like the firmwares that bring out new and exciting features and i like the disscussion. Its what make Nokia and the community what it is.

So, we are here. 5 months down the line and issues. Most N-series phones i have owned have come with problems all which have been ironed out after the first year. Cant wait that long? Oh dear.

The Following User Says Thank You to telnet For This Useful Post:
So I just realized the Nexus One is only $180 (vs $500) if you get a t-mobile 2 year contract. I already have a month to month contract with them and a two year contract is nothing to worry about. I think I might make the switch in the next few days. I've been getting so fed up with the n900. I haven't been reliably alerted I have a new email for at least 2 weeks now using Nokia's messaging service. It used to work fine.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
So I just realized the Nexus One is only $180 (vs $500) if you get a t-mobile 2 year contract. I already have a month to month contract with them and a two year contract is nothing to worry about. I think I might make the switch in the next few days. I've been getting so fed up with the n900. I haven't been reliably alerted I have a new email for at least 2 weeks now using Nokia's messaging service. It used to work fine.
The N1 is great but I won't suggest you sign another agreement with T-mobile simply because, your current data plan will be pushed to the $25/month range with in the long run will end up costing you a fortune. If you can purchase the phone now, do it rather that subsidizing it through t-mobile. Good luck.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
The N1 is great but I won't suggest you sign another agreement with T-mobile simply because, your current data plan will be pushed to the $25/month range with in the long run will end up costing you a fortune. If you can purchase the phone now, do it rather that subsidizing it through t-mobile. Good luck.
According to this I will have to pay $79 a month instead of the $60 I pay right now for the same thing if I switch to the N1 http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Nexus-...ght/true#M1225

That's still really nice compared to the $120 a month I was paying for the iPhone for a worse package.

Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Someday we'll all have Tricorders and comm badges that let us communicate in plain spoken English (or Vulcan, Klingon or even Spanish*) and get real time complex replies, but until then, you are going to get a few shortcomings.
* Spanish support expected in revision 2, to be released Star Date 210001.15487062384 - the galaxyweb is awash in endless "will they every support Spanish" posts.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Unless you didn't want to carry around yet another device. I did that for a while, plain low feature cell phone and n800. I like having a mobile computer that doesn't require me to carry yet another device just so I can take or receive the occasional call. It's not the best mobile computer, but it does the job well and I don't think there's any other device that can do mobile computing and take an occasional phone call like the N900 can.

Having two devices means two chargers, two devices to carry, etc..
That is precisely why I got the N900. I got tired of having the N810 and E71, with so much duplicated functionality and somewhat similar sizes. When the N900 became slightly more affordable, I jumped at the chance and never looked back.

As I wrote in other posts, I am perfectly happy with the N900. Why? Because I think of it as an N810 with phone capabilities. It is actually more rugged than the N810 (slider mechanism is stronger, screen holds up better, etc). The ONLY problem I can think of when compared to the N810 is the USB port, but that's fixable if you're so inclined. It also has more apps, much more capabilities besides the GSM/3G, is smaller, etc.

I can see how someone looking primarily for a phone would be disappointed, because there really are better phones out there. Purely as a phone, my old SonyEriccsson T700 was the best I ever had. Extremely slim, great reception and a battery that would last 5-6 days. But it was ONLY a phone, everything else on it sucked.

So I'll probably stick with the N900 until it breaks. Even if it won't get Meego, you can bet apps will be ported to it for the foreseeable future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
The Twitter experience on a computer is not really optimal on a PC browser, and on the N900's tiny screen it's downright PAINFUL to use. Don't get me started on Mauku... It's laughably underfeatured. I'm coming from using Gravity on the N95, which was a stunning program and sorely missed.
And what about Witter? It's what I use. I agree completely about Mauku, unfortunately.

For the tiny screen, did you try using tv out?

I'm starting to get impatient and joining the "sell your N900" crowd.

When I recently went on a cruise ship trip for a week, I didn't even think about bringing my laptop with me. The N900 was plenty. I used it all over the ship, for many things.

If you can't appreciate what you have, you can probably sell it easily enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax