Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Before I file this as a bug, can people confirm the following:

1. Make sure Application Manager isn't running
2. Start Application Manager
3. As soon as you can, press once on one of the buttons, e.g. Uninstall, Download or Update
Question - does the application react to your press?

Please then try the following:

1. Make sure Settings isn't running
2. Start Settings
3. As soon as you can, press once on one of the buttons, e.g. Profiles or Themes, or swipe upwards on the screen to try and scroll
Question - does the application react to your press or swipe?

With both of these tests, it's important to do the press or swipe as soon as you see (what looks like) the application window, not a couple of seconds later.

The reason I ask is because both of these apps (and a few more) use the Maemo 5 feature of the window manager showing a static screenshot of the app while it is loading, to make the device seem quicker than it really is. See the "Screenshot as loading screen on Maemo 5" thread on maemo-developers for more info.

According to http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/53330#53330 and http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/53382#53382 presses on the screenshot should be passed to the app itself once it has started. So you should be able to press on the fake buttons while the screenshot is displayed, and those presses will take effect on the real buttons a second or two later.

However, when I try the tests above I find the app does not react at all to my press on the launching screenshot. Instead, I have to press again a couple of seconds later, when the app really has started. Do others have the same problem?

I'm using the 3.2010.02-8 firmware and I'm wondering if there has been a change in this behaviour since Oct 2009 when the maemo-developers thread was written.

Tags
cache launch screenshot