Active Topics

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
This may sound petty, but it's really starting to drive me nuts....

When I send email using the built in mail tool on the N900 with my IMAP mail account, the sent messages are stored on the phone's internal "Sent" folder and not on the "Sent" folder from my IMAP subscription.

This means that I have no way of accessing mails sent from my phone when I'm using webmail or desktop mail clients.

Is there any way to set the N900's mail client to file Sent messages in a different folder then the internal "Sent" folder?

Last edited by cddiede; 2010-03-18 at 13:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Unfortunately not implemented or planned for Maemo 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
If you send your email via your providers SMTP servers, don't they automatically add it to your sent items? That's what happens with googlemail...

The N900 IMAP functionality ain't great in all fairness... although I read somewhere that modest got an update... Maybe you can find out how to upgrade it without using the OTA updates...

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by danielz000 View Post
If you send your email via your providers SMTP servers, don't they automatically add it to your sent items? That's what happens with googlemail...

I have a private IMAP server and I have to use T-mobile SMTP server to allow outgoing SMTP messages over their network on the go and I have to use Verizon's SMTP server to allow SMTP outgoing messages over my home Wi-Fi, so I'm never allowed to connect directly to my own SMTP server.....

Originally Posted by danielz000 View Post
This only happens if the mail server integrates the two like google has done, but SMTP (outgoing) and POP, IMAP etc. (incoming) services may be entirely separated. They don't even have to use the same servers. IMAP could be e.g. courier or something, and SMTP something else. Not to mention the separate server issue, I have some setups where I receive mail via IMAP from one server, and I use a completely different machine for SMTP. This is quite common.

It can definitely be considered a bug that the N900 email application won't let use use the IMAP/sent folder for sent mails.

The N900 IMAP functionality ain't great in all fairness... although I read somewhere that modest got an update... Maybe you can find out how to upgrade it without using the OTA updates...
Let's hope it'll improve.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I came across the same problem. However, for me it works fine to later move the sent messages from the phone's sent folder to the imap's sent folder.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Didn't inspect it yet but ain't there a possibility to add bcc-adresses? This way one could send the mail bcc to oneself and later just move it from inbox to sent mail (or do it automatically given the server supports filters).

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Didn't inspect it yet but ain't there a possibility to add bcc-adresses? This way one could send the mail bcc to oneself and later just move it from inbox to sent mail (or do it automatically given the server supports filters).
That's the workaround I use with email programs with the same problem. So yes, that works, but unless you can configure it to always use a Bcc then it's easy to forget. But some mail programs will let you set an 'always Bcc' (including gmail, actually).

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by floffe View Post
Unfortunately not implemented or planned for Maemo 5.
Make sure if you vote for the brainstorm to thumbs down the first solution (it should be an integral part of the email client) and thumbs up the solution further down (it should be part of the official email client for Fremantle).

The Following User Says Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
Make sure if you vote for the brainstorm to thumbs down the first solution (it should be an integral part of the email client) and thumbs up the solution further down (it should be part of the official email client for Fremantle).
Nothing wrong with thumbing up both solutions.