Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
This guide is intended for new users to the N900, Linux (Maemo) and Sygic. It is intended to get all the tweaks and hacks in the one place so you do not have to navigate through the Sygic thread, excuse the pun

I did not discover these tips and tricks myself but merely complied them when I was installing Sygic on my N900 and put them in the one document, adding noob step by step instructions. So thanks must go to the community for the information and the many posters on the "Sygic announces ...." thread

It is a step by step guide from a new Linux user for other new users and those not yet comfortable with Linux and Xterminal commands, I make no apologies for the simplistic approach.

As always, beware when following these instructions and I would advise doing a back up of you device before installing any new software and making such changes.

I use “” quotation marks to signify anything on the N900 screen and in courier font too for any command that you should make. Just enter the information within the “” marks and not the “” themselves.

To install Mobile Maps once you have finished the PC setup and all the files are on you N900

I have added this as it threw me for a couple of minutes when I had finished the PC install and could not see Sygic on my N900

Use file manager and select N900
Scroll all the way to near the bottom, ignoring all the folder, until you come to “SetupMobileMaps”
Select that file and you will encounter the classic install screen with the “I understand and Agree” box
Proceed as per normal installation.

Things to do after installing Sygic

To Open more menu items (such a traffic and portrait mode):-

Use File manager and go to:-

“N900/Drive/Maemo”

Then hold you stylus on "menu.ini" file
When the options box appear choose “rename” and rename to the name of your choice and then press the "Save" box.

To remove the annoying opening warning message:-

Use File manager and go to:-

“N900/Drive/Maemo”

Select “settings.ini” and when prompted to select application scroll down to the "Notes" application and select it.

You should now have the setting file open in a notes window.

There are two lines starting:-

“showSafetyMsg=”

The first one is already set as false so scroll down to the second instance and change “true” to “false”

Then press the “Notes – settings.ini” at the top of the screen and select “save”

To make the application always opens in full screen

This is where you will need to use Xterminal

Open Xterminal from the “more” page in the application menu
Type the following

“vi /usr/share/applications/hildon/sygic.desktop(ensure there is a space after typing “vi”)

use the keyboard cursor buttons and move to the line

“Exec=/opt/sygic/Drive/Maemo/drive -cwd=/home/user/MyDocs/Drive/Maemo”

Now move the cursor to the very end of the line and then press “a” on your N900 keyboard.
This puts you into edit mode and typing will appear after the cursor.
Add the following to the end of the line:-

“ -rfull” (ensuring the is a space before the hyphen)

Now press the “ESC” key at the bottom of the touch screen (this takes you out of edit mode)
Don’t worry where the cursor is.

Now type

“:w”

Then press the enter or return key

You can now close Xterminal and start Sygic in full screen.

I hope this helps and means you do not have to trawl through the 100 plus pages in the Sygic thread.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2010-03-20 at 10:43.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
any improvements for the incorrect positions, differ 30-40 meters?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
No That would be be posted in the Sygic Problems thread, although I think it is already one of the firsts posts

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post

To make the application always opens in full screen

This is where you will need to use Xterminal

Open Xterminal from the “more” page in the application menu
Type the following

“vi /usr/share/applications/hildon/sygic.desktop(ensure there is a space after typing “vi”)

use the keyboard cursor buttons and move to the line

“Exec=/opt/sygic/Drive/Maemo/drive -cwd=/home/user/MyDocs/Drive/Maemo”

Now move the cursor to the very end of the line and then press “a” on your N900 keyboard.
This puts you into edit mode and typing will appear after the cursor.
Add the following to the end of the line:-

“ -rfull” (ensuring the is a space before the hyphen)

Now press the “ESC” key at the bottom of the touch screen (this takes you out of edit mode)
Don’t worry where the cursor is.

Now type

“:w”

Then press the enter or return key

You can now close Xterminal and start Sygic in full screen.

I hope this helps and means you do not have to trawl through the 100 plus pages in the Sygic thread.
I don't know why, but I tried this via ssh, and now I can't see Sygic at all... Is there any kind soul who could upload there sygic.desktop (I would love if it was a full screen-working version)?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
any improvements for the incorrect positions, differ 30-40 meters?
There is a solution which work for some.
See the other thread...

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
i changed my frames per second seting (fps) to 16 like another guy said and that worked for me.

i recently bought sygic for n900 and i'm loving it so far, but what i cannot seem to find an answer for is the greyed out traffic button (after modding it appears but is grayed). Does mm9 for n900 support real time traffic info and if so how does it work or how do i enable it or is this feature only available in the mm10 version? If so are n900 users also getting the free update to mm10 any time soon?

thnx

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
How do I make Sygic not open in full screen when it is launched? It used to but ever since I installed an update for it ages ago it now opens in full screen mode every time.

Is it possible to add traffic cams some how in Mobile sygic 9?It s for awoid speeding tickets on a highway.