Active Topics

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi Guys,

I recently transferred my images from my mmc card to my phone memory.

It took about an hour (over 1200images) but seemed to transfer fine.

I opened up 'Photos' and now i have over 812 corrupted images

When i try to delete the images it says 'unable to delete file' as the files are now saved as read-only!

Any advice on how i can remove the files, other than to flash the phone?

I can't see this files on my file manager either?

Thanks,

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I guess you could use xterm as root and remove them one by one, but that would probably be very tedious. I'm not too good with xterm either so I can't really tell you how you should do it unless you want to remove them one by one.

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
did you try to delete them as root or just as user?
if by root you mean via x-terminal then no?

I just opened up the n900's standard photo's app and saw all the corrupted images

I tried to delete it from there?

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
I guess you could use xterm as root and remove them one by one, but that would probably be very tedious. I'm not too good with xterm either so I can't really tell you how you should do it unless you want to remove them one by one.
lol i'm no good at xterm either

Its quite annoying seeing all those corrupted images

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
you should do it by installing "rootsh", opening xterm, typing "sudo gainroot", change the directory to the one where the images are (corruptly) stored and then delete them by "rm *.jpg" (if these are jpg-images) or just delte the whole folder by doing "rm -r /path/to/folder"

if this doesn't work you may have to remount the partition as rw... but first of all... try to delete as root

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
you should do it by installing "rootsh", opening xterm, typing "sudo gainroot", change the directory to the one where the images are (corruptly) stored and then delete them by "rm *.jpg" (if these are jpg-images) or just delte the whole folder by doing "rm -r /path/to/folder"

if this doesn't work you may have to remount the partition... but first of all... try to delete as root
I've just noticed that the corrupted images are actually duplicates of the orginals

Not that it helps at all lol.

How do i change the directory?

Thanks,

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
IHow do i change the directory?
when you type "ls -a" you'll see a list of all folders/files which are in the directory you're currently in.

then just navigate with "cd $foldername" where foldername is a name of any folder you've seen with the ls command before or go back with "cd .."

just combine these to commands to navigate through your device

ps: you can see the name of the folder you currently are in at the left side of the ":" for example "/home/user". where you can do "cd MyDocs". notice that xterm is case-sensitive. and you can auto-complete words with TAB or just get a list of possible names (folders/files) with TAB TAB ^^

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Update:

I took the memory card out of the phone, and then booted up the device.

Lo and behold, when i opened up 'photos' there was no duplicate read-only corrupted files.

I switched off the device and put the memory card back in. When i restarted the phone and opened up 'photos' there was still no duplicate read-only corrupted files

Looks like taking out the memory card and then putting it back in worked a treat

Thanks for all the advice guys