Active Topics

I noticed a couple of improvements on this update...
Internet radio via my wifi, seems much more stable.
and navigating via the hilden interface with just the finger seems much better now... it seems to detect the control under the finger much better, for example if you open the google web page and touch the small(no zoom) edit field or small(no zoom) button area actually works(before it seemed to have needed to zoom in or place the nail right on the control to activate it).

On a down side I think battery life is not lasting as long now... but maybe has something to do with some rogue process running in the background.

FYI, the battery drains for me since the symbian days have always have been gps/assisted network position/bluetooth and for some wifi or 3G.

For me, I use both 3g and wifi so I keep these 2 turned on always.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by barcas27 View Post
Evening people,
just registered so here is my 1st post, i have done a lot of looking around & it seem that a lot of people in the UK now have the update yet i do not.
I have the Voda 205 version & am constantly checking for the update on the app manager but no joy.
I'm on the verge of flashing (the phone) but thought i would check here first if anyone knows anything that may help meas to why i have no update.

Many thanks

version 2.2009.51-1.205.1
You have no update because Nokia hasn't released the update for Vodafone (205) users yet, just the generic UK (203) version.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Decided to go Global
Had enough of waiting for Voda to pull their fingers out of their rear

The Following User Says Thank You to DJRedline For This Useful Post:
I went global last night and only change I noticed was the new firmware number

The Following User Says Thank You to Libroid1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You have no update because Nokia hasn't released the update for Vodafone (205) users yet, just the generic UK (203) version.
Thanks, any idea why as i thought this was now for the UK as a whole?
If i do decide to flash it will that definately mean that i will get updates along with the rest of the world?

As a side note i do wish they would hurry up & sort out the OVI store as i need to get the full angry birds version.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
No idea - don't know why they've taken this long to release the UK update either.

If i do decide to flash it will that definately mean that i will get updates along with the rest of the world?
Yes, if you flash with the global firmware then you'll get the updates alongside everyone else, or you can flash with the generic UK firmware. Nobody seems to know of any differences between the firmware variants anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Scotland

As a side note i do wish they would hurry up & sort out the OVI store as i need to get the full angry birds version.
As far as Vodafone is concerned - who knows?

After flashing, my understanding is that you will get Nokia updates through SSU just as you would have before, except you'll get the ones the lucky people everywhere else get, rather than being limited to UK-specific ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to uberguru For This Useful Post:
Just flashed my Voda to the Generic Global 3.2010....works great

Thanks

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Perth, WA
Dumb n00b question time -

If I use:

1. Use the backup utility to back everything up
2. Flash my UK Vodafone model with global firmware

Then am I able to restore the backup and get my settings, installed apps and contacts back?

I haven't played with backup and restore so I don't yet jknow what exactly it backs up or restores.

Oh and also, is it going to work from win 7 64 bit? I have ultimate so it's supposed to emulate XP pretty well...

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by david.hicks View Post
Dumb n00b question time -

If I use:

1. Use the backup utility to back everything up
2. Flash my UK Vodafone model with global firmware

Then am I able to restore the backup and get my settings, installed apps and contacts back?

I haven't played with backup and restore so I don't yet jknow what exactly it backs up or restores.

Oh and also, is it going to work from win 7 64 bit? I have ultimate so it's supposed to emulate XP pretty well...
Yes, everything will be restored. Your apps will be automatically re-installed if necessary.

No, this does not work with 64-bit windows 7. See previous entries in this thread.

Last edited by uberguru; 2010-03-25 at 01:17.