Ive managed to connect my phone to my tv to watch some recorded family video. The N900 on the tv shows it has very jerky video playback - is there a solution? The image quality is very good (in good light), but thats not of much use when it gives you a headache! lol

It doesnt seem to be anywhere on par to the lowest end 'real' cams, its just too choppy. I know the N900 is not a dedicated cam, but is there a fix at all - will I need to wait for program upgrades, is there a software solution that will give better playback (eg lowering the video resolution may smooth the video/replacing webcam driver software etc?)... or will I have to just wait for a better phone to come along? Ive been googling and some users complain that the jerky video is pretty common in most nokias? thanks

I get jerky videos while playing Divx files on my N900. However when I convert them to H264s they play very smoothly.

It might be worth trying to convert them...

Some players (eg an old standalone sony or philips dvd player with divx playback included) are rubbish at playing back movies that have a high bitrate. If converting a video did work, and everything converted to a simpler format did play back ok when on the phone, then its surely something a software update by nokia could fix for its playback. Ill try and convert some of my own recorded videos to see what happens, although im still in doubt that thats the solution! thanks

does anyone know of any third party video recording apps for the n900 I can download? perhaps they are much better than whats built in to the phone at the moment. i know the phone has not been around for very long, and there will no doubt be slight improvements to the default applications in the future

Last edited by extent; 2010-03-24 at 18:38.

i forgot to mention that for video (such as movies), SiB player is definately the best overall, it plays almost everything with an excellent framerate.

For the choppy framerate of all recorded video made from the n900s built in camera, the only thing that will be able to solve that, will be a nokia update!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
didn't quite understand but are you watching videos that you recorder with your N900 and they are jerky.

http://web.me.com/jamesburland/Nokia...Shootout!.html

1.2 should fix on some level this issue but you have to remember that video recording is quite power hungry thing to do so i would advise to close all the program before starting to take video. Problem might be that N900 has lot´s of scheduled stuff going on background and multitasking so i would not be suprised if email,instan messages or any other background activity hits video recording and makes it jerky. Also i advice to watch n900 overall performance and if reboot makes it considerably faster then i would recommend to flash it completely because something is not right then.

its the n900 cameras video recording i mean in terms of poor (non consistent) frame rate.

for movies (non n900 camera recordings, eg cinema or tv!) ill use SiB, which works great... but for the n900s cameras own recordings, all players are the same- the frame rate is never consistent, its fairly jerky. its not really a major fault, but many reviews state the same thing, in that the frame rate should be smoother in recording video using the n900s camera.. perhaps the video frame rate for recording could be improved and made more consistent in an update...

the link with nokia stating the video recording ability of the camera is 'dvd quality' is laughable-it just adds to my list that the n900 was an unfinished device when released, even if its not a rush job (despite its lack of some basic features, fm radio etc)

thanks

Last edited by extent; 2010-04-09 at 21:15.

At least if we had some option to limit the frame rate, we could get better results. 15 fps at constant rate gives a better overall impression than a video oscilating between 20-24fps.

I never noticed any jerky video playbacks on my n900. I regularly use its media player to play hindi movies and connect it to my tv to watch on big screen

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by extent View Post
its the n900 cameras video recording i mean in terms of poor (non consistent) frame rate.
.... snip snip
See here for developing solution - please read thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=77695 and search issues before asking questions as developer asks.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by jayram81 View Post
I never noticed any jerky video playbacks on my n900. I regularly use its media player to play hindi movies and connect it to my tv to watch on big screen
The scope here is about N900-recorded movies; not files created elsewhere.