Active Topics

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Nope, memory card doesn't work.
That is very disappointing. I would have possibly considered this battery if I were on a flight or something, save me from lugging an external battery pack. But this is ridiculous.

There's no white patch on the mugen power, the N900 detects the camera door as "Closed" all the time. However, it's clever enough to let you use camera when the back cover is "missing".

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
I got my 2400 mAh Mugen battery today.
Now charging. Instructions say it should charge 12 hours, so I obey the rules. Will tell you if I notice something fishy, and also if it works as promised.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Nope, memory card doesn't work.
confirmed. Oh ****. :-(

Do not buy these until they get it fixed.
I will demand they send a new back cover what works.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
However, it's clever enough to let you use camera when the back cover is "missing".
Thank goodness for that, although I wonder if the addition of a magnet (to get the memory card to work by signalling the presence of the cover) will then mean the camera DOESN'T work without the white patch?

Only goes to show Mugen put even less thought into this battery & replacement cover than I first imagined!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-03-24 at 19:04.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by philh View Post
Well, it`s out. In here I can see all I needed to see and I`m affraid this solution is not for me.
jesus monkey f*** !
that hurts.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Thank goodness for that, although I wonder if the addition of a magnet (to get the memory card to work by signalling the presence of the cover) will then mean the camera DOESN'T work without the white patch?

Only goes to show Mugen put even less thought into this battery & replacement cover than I first imagined!
I blame also Nokia for designing a back cover which is so expensive to replace. In N95 battery door and lens cover were separate, and there were no problems to get bigger battery for that.

Nokia could be nice and tell how 3rd parties can fix the problem, because Nokia doesn't provide bigger battery itself anyway.

I wonder also if camera indeed is affected, because there is some sensor which maybe detects if there is black (lens cover close) or white (lens cover open) front of it.

I emailed mugen with a detailed description of the problem. The CSR said she forwarded my description to the engineering team. Let's see what they say

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I blame also Nokia for designing a back cover which is so expensive to replace.
Yes, even the current back cover must be quite expensive to make, considering it already went through 2 redesigns before this. Adding a magnet and some reflective material means additional work instead of just stamping/molding all-plastic cover.

I wonder also if camera indeed is affected, because there is some sensor which maybe detects if there is black (lens cover close) or white (lens cover open) front of it.
Camera still works. The back cover is not detects, so N900 ignores the asbence of door open signal. Makes sense, the sensor data is telling N900 that the camera lens is not blocked by anything.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Czech Republic
The back cover is pretty good - it feels good and safe holding N900 in hand now.

The only drawback is memory card and not appearing flashlight panel. But knowing Mugen Power Batteries I guess they could send us all new battery covers. At least I hope.

Why not try to solve it the other way? It has to be just some config file or dbus message... We just have to find out how Flashlight checks for opened/closed camera lens cover and then you may look for a way how to make some permanent changes.