Originally Posted by mannakiosk View Post
IMHO, the N900 is the only "mobile computer" for the GNU/Linux geek. This implies that you value freedom (tm) more than some features. I know I do.

If hackability and freedom aren't at the top of your list of priorities, you might as well go with a smartphone that "just works" (tm). and if that's the case, why not an android phone? Why either n97 or n900? I think some android phone might be somewhere in between those options in a lot of ways.

I really like the n900, but I'm really into the gnu/linux freedom thing.
The only Android phones that even worth considering are the Motorola DROID and the Nexus one. The Motorola droid keyboard is a pain in the *** to use, limited 16GB for memory and call quality sucks. The nexus one is a full touch phone which is something that I'm not a big fan of, limited memory, battery sucks, can only be ordered from Google which may cause some localization issues, etc.
I've looked into Sony Ericsson options. I looked at Xperia X2 which has a fantastic keyboard and a shitty windows 6.5 OS, nuff said. I love my playstation 3 but Sony got no market in the smartphone department. Sorry Sony.

It's really only these two phones. ):

Originally Posted by trohax View Post
it literally went to hell
Really? Your phone crossed into another dimension?

Asking in a n900 forum if you has to buy an n97?

weird at least

Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Really? Your phone crossed into another dimension?
Yes, literally.

I'd say go with the N900 because it has potential to become great, yes everyone knows the hardware in the N900 is great and it really is. I'll list a few problems that i'm having with the N900 after nearly a month having it.

1. Battery life is terrible i just really is an example of this is yesterday the phone was fully charged in the morning i switched it on for around 1 hour before work and then it was off for 8 hours. Around 2pm i switch it back on and i switched to 2G to save on battery i listened to some music for about 40mins coming from work i texted my gf through out the evening and some web browsing via wifi and the battery was dead by 7pm no joke.

2. I said it in a previous thread about how music will stutter when browsing the web sometimes.

3. OVI store is bare bones for the N900, yes i know the app section for Linux is filled with apps which btw are mostly useless apps for the average user. But as it stands the OVI store might as well not be an option to click on.

They are my issues with the N900 but everything else i love about the device overall and if you think you can handle at least the battery life issue then buy it.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Wolverhampton
HTC Desire ??? this will be my next phone ; )

The N97 was the worst phone I ever had.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
I have both n97 and n900. I have them both coz i need two phones. like what you are saying, i don't see a lot of bugs on n900, anyway, pr 1.2 is coming soon.. and i know it will fixed all the major bugs of the phone.. n900 is great, but n97 is a nice phone too. one thing, n97 have the newest version of ovi maps.. and its free. n97 more apps n900 few apps. for screen responsiveness, n900 is better. Battery life, n97 last longer. so, whether you buy n97 or n900, you'll surely like it.

EDIT: n97 has really lot of bugs, but with the latest firmware, everything works fine... camera quality, i dont see any difference.

Last edited by chase15; 2010-03-26 at 21:30.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
n97 was the worst me too, but i had that from day one and the first few firmwares were the buggiest ive ever seen on a device of any sort.

I've an N900 and and N97.

On a recent trip to SXSW (thanks WOMWorldNokia :-) ) I put my simcard in the N97, but took the N900 instead of a laptop.

The N97 is a better phone, music player and satnav - the N900 is a better computer. Depends what you need.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_accidental For This Useful Post: