Originally Posted by zimon View Post
There could be a software fix for this, like, when connected to USB and battery has fully charged, do not start charging again until charge-level has gone down to X percent. (50% for example, value to be chosen in the program.)
And how do you know it doesn't already do this?

Atleast the previous N800 and N810 did this. The battery charge floated down to 85% or so, before getting topped up to 90% or something like that, when you kept it constantly on charger.

The battery meter reported something "user friendly" like 100% regardless when you unplugged it, though. And on N900 it never says 100%

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
And how do you know it doesn't already do this?

Atleast the previous N800 and N810 did this. The battery charge floated down to 85% or so, before getting topped up to 90% or something like that, when you kept it constantly on charger.

The battery meter reported something "user friendly" like 100% regardless when you unplugged it, though. And on N900 it never says 100%
I agree that it probably already does this, although it doesn't seem quite as clever a my laptop.

My laptop is intelligent enough that if I have a fully battery then temporarily take it off the mains for a while, when I plug it back in again it doesn't start charging. It has to have drained 5-10% or something like that before it will attempt to charge.

Needless to say THIS laptops battery is going strong so far after a year when my previous laptop which was not so clever had its battery die after only about 3 months use.

With the N900 though, I figure its far more important that its always fully charged ready for me to leave the house without warning than the risk of wearing the battery out. If you worry about the battery too much you will be just making things inconvenient for yourself. Its lot like even genuine replacements are that expensive, that's one good thing about it using the same battery is other Nokia devices. If it had used its own design battery it might have lasted longer per charge, but it would have cost a LOT more to replace.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-03-28 at 00:21.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Florida
Li-ion battery life is dependent on the number of charges. It does not matter if it's charging from 5% to 100%, or from 95% to 100%. It counts as one charge less in the life of the battery. So the question is... does the N900 continue to run on battery while it's connected to power?

If it does, then the answer would be, don't leave it connected to power because it would be continually charge cycling whenever it depletes enough to recharge.

If the N900 is smart enough to run on USB power and not use the battery at all when connected, then it doesn't matter.

Anyone know if it continues to drain the battery when connected?

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by uncleboarder View Post
Li-ion battery life is dependent on the number of charges. It does not matter if it's charging from 5% to 100%, or from 95% to 100%. It counts as one charge less in the life of the battery. So the question is... does the N900 continue to run on battery while it's connected to power?

If it does, then the answer would be, don't leave it connected to power because it would be continually charge cycling whenever it depletes enough to recharge.

If the N900 is smart enough to run on USB power and not use the battery at all when connected, then it doesn't matter.

Anyone know if it continues to drain the battery when connected?
Actually I read the opposite, 1 charge of a Li-Ion lifespan means 0-100%, 50-100% is half a charge. This does not explicitly say that but seems to imply the same thing, that fully discharging then recharging a Li-Ion is a bad idea.

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Florida
Batteries are a difficult subject. I admit my info is second hand, it came from a laptop battery engineer... I can only say for certain that my second laptop battery has lasted longer since I started disconnecting the battery when it was on power.

Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
Exactly, why isn't it implemented yet? It would be very beneficial for laptops. Mine is constantly connected to the charger and because of that over 1 year after the purchase my battery just died. It wore out with time. It is even no longer recognised by the system (info at startup says system is unable to charge it because of it now being an 'unknown battery')! That hurts really. I cannot even disconnect for a sec without the laptop turning off just like an ordinary PC...

So the answer is obvious I should say
Thinkpads can do this. Using the built in Power Manager software you can manually set the charging thresholds to any percentages you want. For instance you can set to only charge when below 40 percent and charge to 95 percent. Really saves the life of you battery! This is one of many reasons I only buy ThinkPads.

The biggest issue with laptop batteries is heat.. Li-Ion batteries will degrade to unusable in a year or two when sitting in 40C temperatures like in laptops... Even if the battery was disconnected and not doing anything...

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
The biggest issue with laptop batteries is heat.. Li-Ion batteries will degrade to unusable in a year or two when sitting in 40C temperatures like in laptops... Even if the battery was disconnected and not doing anything...
My ThinkPad X200s runs amazingly cool. I feel my the bottom and back of my 9-cell battery like the laptop is not even on!

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Let me enlighten you

Zimon: In a nutshell, its better you have the N900 connected to USB and fully charged than discharging/charging it all the time.
Here are some Fact about Lithium Ion Batteries:

- Its true, they have a limited amount or charge/discharge cycles, BUT:
- They also have a limited lifespan. So don't buy replacement batteries a year before you intend to use them.
- Complete discharges are usually not possible in modern devices, so don't worry about that.
- Charging from 50%-70% is called a mini-charge and also has a negative impact on lifetime but not as severe as a full one.
- From a chemical perspective, high temperatures and strong electrical fields are bad, meaning the lifetime suffers most when charging from about 70% to 95% when the device is running (where the charging current+charge+temperature is high).
- Storing Li-Ion batteries is best at 30%-70% charge level at about 5 Degrees Celsius.

So if you want to make everything right, you need to operate your N900 inside a fridge, while charging it during 5-8 hours and not use it in the meantime

My suggestion (and what i do): Use the n900 so that its the HIGHEST COMFORT for you. Everything else is pointless and maybe squeezes an additional 6-12 month out of your batt while you can get a replacement battery (not original) for 10 Euros....

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Well, CPU is also just a chip, or USB controller, which can be controlled from software, so it is a question just what kind of chip it is and does it have i2c-interface open.
I was referring to charger chip that is integrated to N900 HW......
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search