Active Topics

Notices

Did you try using two computers?

could u explain it pls coz it would be so so grateful if i could do it
i would appreciate it too.
p.s : i want to run wow and perfect world

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, super old thread but, whatever.

I'd like to try and play the original Sims.

With the mostly static background I'm thinking maybe I could get up to 8 fps.

The sucky part is that whenever I connect to the server through VNC, my computer's screen goes black though the game still continues to run.

Any suggestions on this?

Civilization II plays almost perfectly so I don't get the difference between the two.

It would be awesome if I could get it to work.

Thanks ahead if anyone posts a response to this.

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17638

proberly better keeping a look out on here, if it goes open source it'll be posted here soon after, but until blizzard release it, its pretty much a dead end.

personally, i would love to see wine running in qemu for that odd game that doesn't run in dos or supported by scummVM. if micro$oft had any brains in that evil giant money making machine of their's, they would produce their own "whine" that does include x86 processor emulation and then let us all have some fun with windows apps on many different platforms....including nokia tablets. but i'm no where saying that windows compares to linux, infact its the opposite, people aught to use linux, but there are many classic games only for windows. and a classic windows game + the amazing portability of linux (it runs on everything) you'd have something pretty cool.

for the porters/devs reading this thread, an alternative suggestion would be something like PSPdisp. playing halo on the psp with PSPdisp is awesome, but really anything usable on your PC would then be usable on your tablet with a similiar app.

how about overlaying a vnc client on top of mplayer? what i mean is, if you had the display of your pc being streamed over to your tablet, you'd have a better frame rate than VNC alone, but layed over the mplayer display of that stream, would be something to capture touchscreen and keyboard input that is transmitted to the vnc server. i'm sure there would be a trade off between quality of the stream and latency. but hell, if you're hoping to play a game on your tablet, i'm sure your first concern wouldn't be having a 1080i display.

the reverse, seeing the output of your tablet (with a high frame rate) on a larger screen, transmitted over usb or wifi would be just as interesting.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Yeah, super old thread but, whatever.

I'd like to try and play the original Sims.

With the mostly static background I'm thinking maybe I could get up to 8 fps.

The sucky part is that whenever I connect to the server through VNC, my computer's screen goes black though the game still continues to run.

Any suggestions on this?

Civilization II plays almost perfectly so I don't get the difference between the two.

It would be awesome if I could get it to work.

Thanks ahead if anyone posts a response to this.
i would love to play the original sims on my tablet aswell, and simcity.

as for civilization II, how about cloning it using stratagus (read about stratagus here and here.) stratagus currently runs on nokia tablets.

we all have a vgba emulator available and there is baldurs gate which is very similar to diablo if you guys wanna try

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
VirtualGL
It should be possible all rendering to be done on the server...

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Thanks Bundyo!

I'll give it a go this weekend.

If this will reasonably run and display the original The Sims on my tablet between 6 and 8 fps, I'll be cheery for a year!

lowtek, can you test this before then?

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Thanks Bundyo!

I'll give it a go this weekend.

If this will reasonably run and display the original The Sims on my tablet between 6 and 8 fps, I'll be cheery for a year!

lowtek, can you test this before then?

Cheers.
oh, sorry Addison, when i said clone, i meant that it is possible to either take the original artwork, sound effects and music from the game Civilization II and recreate it in stargus (which I now realize i could be wrong). Although this isn't something simple, but very worth the effort. I've never personally "cloned" a game using stargus.

civilization II isn't an RTS is it? its more like populous? not being an RTS means it most probably can't be cloned using the stargus engine

populous:

it may have already been mentioned, but there is a free open source game inspired by civilization II called Freeciv

EDIT: a google search found that freeciv is already ported to maemo here.

anyway, getting back on topic....i've tried a search for a Diablo 2 inspired open source linux game...no luck yet

Last edited by lowtek; 2010-03-31 at 04:53.