Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
I finally got it. Will try to posts pics up later. It's kind of too early to make a review but this is what I have so far

The screen is very clear, coming from the iphone, the high resolution looks real nice, especially in the web browser.

Its a lot lighter than I thought, and looks-wise, It's the best phone I've ever had (the N97 mini was my favorite before, looks-wise)

It's very smooth. I know in reviews that said its laggy sometimes, but I felt no lag at all (except for the keyboard), everything is smooth and quick

The keyboard is a little buggy, ive tried the htc keyboard and it solves it. The only thing is that the haptic feedback is slow, it vibrates AFTER you press, not WHILE you press, so its annoying.

I couldn't find any app that enables haptic feedback across the whole phone, that would have been nice.

I have the one with T-mobile's 3g and the speed is fast. Nothing that will blow you away, and probably not as fast as the n900, but its usable, no complaints.

The browser is nice, they have a fennec browser coming for android soon so I'll try that out.

Camera is amazing, sony and nokia are always competing for better cameras in mobile phones, I think Sony is ahead of the game at the moment.

The hardware buttons are too un-stiff (if thats a word), I just touch the power button and it ends up being pressed. It should have been more stiff

Audio is good. Maybe not as good as the N-series, but its good. Definitely better than HTC's speakers.

more updates to come

wal which browser would you say is better the n900 or the android browser.

i'm sure that viewing webpages on the 4 inch screen is better than on a 3.5 inch screen.

man i hope that nokia releases a 4 plus inch cell phone with meego so that we can see a face of with this and the htc evo 4g

well the 4'' inch screen and higher resolution makes webpages easier to view on the x10, but the browser itself isnt as good as microb. The one on android is webkit, im pretty sure microb is not webkit, so its better as a browser. The x10 browser (which is called google chrome by the way) doesnt have flash either, but it will come in the 2.x update (in Q3 or Q4).

So the point is, if the X10 had microb, it would be the best mobile browser. N900 has the better browser, but the X10 has the better display, so I guess its just a matter of opinion.

There both fast by the way, I like the google chrome because a lot of webpages are optimized to work on it, on the n900 you have no choice but to view the full desktop version, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage (for example, try viewing facebook on the N900)

What are the pros/cons of the phone in your opinion ?

Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
well the 4'' inch screen and higher resolution makes webpages easier to view on the x10, but the browser itself isnt as good as microb. The one on android is webkit, im pretty sure microb is not webkit, so its better as a browser. The x10 browser (which is called google chrome by the way) doesnt have flash either, but it will come in the 2.x update (in Q3 or Q4).

So the point is, if the X10 had microb, it would be the best mobile browser. N900 has the better browser, but the X10 has the better display, so I guess its just a matter of opinion.

There both fast by the way, I like the google chrome because a lot of webpages are optimized to work on it, on the n900 you have no choice but to view the full desktop version, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage (for example, try viewing facebook on the N900)
microb is based on mozilla, which kinda makes me wonder why the firefox team didn't just improve on microb and make it better as oppose to making mobile firefox.

Thanks for the info, i'll still wait awhile to see what phone i'll be picking up.

Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
What are the pros/cons of the phone in your opinion ?
The number 1 con for me right now is that theres no haptic feedback, and theres no app for it either (theres an app for it on the iphone), and the haptic feedback on the keyboard is not helpful at all, it seems like its delayed for some reason

Another thing is the prices of the apps in the market, I see the same apps going for $0.99 in the iphone app store, and they're going for $3.99 in the market. I guess google keeps a bigger profit margin.

Another big con is the available apps/games. Since there are so many different phones running android, all with different resolutions and processors, not all the apps support all phones. They install perfectly fine, but they might not look right. Some of the apps were made for the G1, and have a low resolution, so they dont look right on the X10. The nexus one and the droid are probably having the same problem since most apps were originally designed for the G1
Now I know why Apple kept the resolution the same throughout all the versions of the iphone, its so that the apps can all me compatible with each other, otherwise they would have the same problem.

And the keyboard of course is a con, but once you install that HTC keyboard, it becomes much better so thats not really a problem.

Thats it for the cons...everything else is looks good, so far I'm happy with this purchase. The people over at XDA are already looking into hacking it and putting the ROM's from other phones on here. It's always good to know that you're phone is supported by XDA, too bad Nokia phones are never on there.

I installed "asphalt", and the 3d gaming looks good too, no lags or anything. There aren't many 3d games out there for android so hard to tell right now. I never realized, but iphone is way ahead of the game in 3D gaming, even though the processor isnt as fast as other phones. Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYqZK25KU3U

Im pretty sure the X10 has similar 3d performance as the nexus one so that should give you an idea.

It also came with this little stand and a pouch as a bonus, the euro version also comes with a sony walkman and a Sony's HQ earbuds as a bonus.

Originally Posted by bxbomber View Post
microb is based on mozilla, which kinda makes me wonder why the firefox team didn't just improve on microb and make it better as oppose to making mobile firefox.

Thanks for the info, i'll still wait awhile to see what phone i'll be picking up.
Yea that's the same thing I was wondering, MicroB is way better than fennec even though they're both based on mozilla. I wonder why. The x10 will be getting fennec soon so I'll try it out and see if its the same as it was on the N900

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

X10 mini doesn't have snapdragon. Its a 600mhz, which is still fast. Or the X10 pro, its only slightly thicker than the mini, but it has a full keyboard. And all the reviewers say that the keyboard is very easy to use despite how cramped it looks. Also, it only has 128mb of memory. So basically its a smaller, cheaper, lower quality version of the X10, but its worth the money IMO

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I've had the X10 for the last five days - well, to be precise my wife has since it's her phone, but I've been playing with it as much if not more than her - so I thought I'd give my first impressions and give some comparisons with the N900.

What I really like about the phone

- the screen: man, that 4" display is absolutely awesome, great for browsing the web, viewing photos, watching videos.

- the design: really beautiful phone, slim, curved, feels really comfortable and light in the hand. I was worried about it not being very pocketable, but it doesn't feel noticeably bigger than an N900 and is considerably slimmer.

- Camera: decent 8 megapixel job, takes great pics outside and in decent light indoors, but forget about in low light. They've equipped it with this crappy photo light, which you can only enable by digging into the menus (seems like they knew it was rubbish and wanted to discourage people from using it!). Lots of great features like touch focus, smile detection, face recognition.

- app store: a feature of android rather than the phone, but still this is my first try with an android phone and I'm impressed by what's available there. And decent paid apps as well. My wife is not English and needed a good dictionary and we bought the Oxford one, really nice.

Google apps: enough said really. If you like Google stuff, you can't really go wrong with an Android phone. Synching, mail, maps, earth, talk, all perfectly integrated and implemented.

- homescreens: similar to the N900, being able to tweak and modify the three homescreens is great.

What I don't like about the phone

Screen sensitivity: not sure if this is an issue with the X10 or Android generally but the responsiveness of the screen is very hit and miss. Sometimes it responds immediately to your finger touch, other times you can be pressing some very big button six or seven times and nothing happens.

the software keyboard: man, this really sucks, very frustrating to try to type anything beyond a few phrases or sentences. Constantly mishitting keys, no real correction. The landscape one is a bit better than the portrait one, but still. I've installed the HTC one, and that's clearly better, but you still have to enable it every time you start typing so it's not the most elegant solution out there.

Limited video codec support: Basically, your vids have to be in Mpeg4, no Xvid/Divx support. My wife wanted to take some films/Tv series with her on our Easter trip and I had to reencode all my Xvids into Mpeg4 so she could watch them. The N900 is much better for this.

No Skype: this is a biggie. Actually, there really aren't many voip options out there at all for android. Yes, you can download Nimbuzz or Fring from the app store and they supposedly support Skype (and most importantly for me, Skypeout) but the quality is absolutely shocking and is not a patch on the wonderful integration on the N900.

No TV-out: not a deal breaker for some, but important for me as I use it a lot. At the moment I don't think any android phones have this, great feature on the N900 for showing films round your mates house.

No FM transmitter: come to love this feature on my N900, use it all the time, shame not to have it on the X10.

Overall comments

Love the slim/curved form factor, camera features and browsing the web on the huge screen. I know that the N900 is touted for its browsing capabilities, but the Android browser is very good indeed and the lack of flash is not really a big issue for me. Web browsing on a screen that size is a much more pleasurable experience I have to say (and I can't believe I AM saying it)

BUT, and it's a big but...I wouldn't swap it for my N900. The onscreen keyboard is dreadful and I type a lot on my phone, the hardware keyboard on the N900 is just great in my view. Also, the lack of decent Skype integration, no .avi support, no FM transmitter, no TV out are all deal breakers for me and mean I will be sticking with my N900.

I am impressed by Android though. It's a very customizable OS, probably more so for the 'average' user than the N900 because of the ease of use of the app store and the installation process. With the right hardware - for me that would be a phone with a four-inch screen, decent hardware keyboard, good camera, TV out etc - I think it's something I would seriously consider. For now though, I'm sticking with my beloved N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreadnought For This Useful Post: