Active Topics

Originally Posted by squirreluk View Post
Hi, is there anyplace that sell a replacement outer screen, from what i have seen from disassembly videos its a thin bit of plactic with a tint. I would like this to replace my scratched screen.
http://www.klc.fi/fin/tuotteet/Nokia...at-N900?page=2
Thats one place you could get one.

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
are you sure they are scratches as i thought i had a big long scratch and it was there for days then i used my n900 after eating some crisps and my screen got greasy so gave my screen a clean with a bit o spit an polish and the "scratch" disappeared! it was obviously just a streak of dirt or summat.
i was so chuffed!

to be fair the screen is well durable as i use my nail to use touchscreen, keep my phone in my pocket with keys and money and have no scratches at all!

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bethesda, MD
you people have to use screen protectors. Although the stylus or your fingernail should not be hard enough to scratch the screen, bits of debris can be lodged under the tips and cause scratches.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tizbad2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
screen protector wont stop it getting wet or me dropping it!!

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I have invisible shield screen protector installed. At first I thought I could use it without one but after getting nice and straight scratch when using stylus (probably sand) I decided to install one

It has its downsides too. Makes it a bit more difficult to use in direct sunlight. Nearly always there's some debris left between the protector and screen..... but you wont get any scratches

repeat story of mine from another thread:

this reminds me of a somewhat funny story, when I had my N80, I babied that thng. I made sure it had a screen protector 100% of the time. I never went without one. well, days turned to months turned to years, and 4 years later the case had it's small dings here and there, but the screen was flawless.

one day I was rototilling the backyard (it's similar to a lawnmower for those of you who dont know) and I felt the handle tap my leg. when I finished rototilling, I puilled out my phone and I had a huge star crack. the LCD leaked everywhere inside. made for a nice 'fireworks' screen. so many colors. The plastic screen on top was still flawless, but the glass screen behind it was gone. like having a car with a mint condition interior, but was totaled in a car accident.

anyways, it was then that I realized that all those years of caring for and worrying about the front the whole time pretty much went to waste. I started to wonder why I even cared so mch about the front, I mean it's not like there wasn't spare front panels for it online. like those old people who cover their chairs in plastic. what are they saving them for?

anyways my next phone was the N900, and I realize now that I don't need a protector. the screen was made for what it does, because if it wasn't, it would come with a screen protector itself. Also, in a few months (if not already available) there is going to be replacement front panels, so I could just buy a fresh one if mine gets so bad.

I'm not knocking peple who have screen protectors, I'm just sharing my epiphany when my previous phone met a similar fate.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
Originally Posted by tiivonen View Post
I have invisible shield screen protector installed. At first I thought I could use it without one but after getting nice and straight scratch when using stylus (probably sand) I decided to install one

It has its downsides too. Makes it a bit more difficult to use in direct sunlight. Nearly always there's some debris left between the protector and screen..... but you wont get any scratches

I've an invisishield screen protector on mine too. Bit pricey @ £15 but they're a good piece of kit indeed, worth investing in. Made myself a little template of the screen that was slightly undersize. I used the template to mirror & profile the invisishield and then 'followed the instructions' to apply it.

On touch it feels a little rubbery and the stylus needs a greater prod but nothing major and you soon get used to it.

Sorted

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England, UK
I can't say I have ever put a screen protector on any of my phones, simply because you're always going to be the usual wear and tear and as someone has already said there is no point wrapping them up in cotton wool. I only ever have my phone in my pocket on it's own (poor lonely phone) but that's just habit now. After scratching my old N97 with the stylus though, I am seriously considering getting some screen protectors (not the invisible shield).

If they are ten a penny on eBay, then it won't matter to me if the protector has to be changed on a fortnightly basis. Although I have never been that bothered about it, it's nice to look back in a year or so and see a nice scratch free phone.

*Off to eBay to see what they got...*

Personally i wouldnt use a touch screen phone without a screen protector. I always use a protective case when its in my pocket too. Nokia CP-321 is thin, light with just enough protection without adding to the 'bulk' to the phone. its far too easy to scratch the screen with a nail or stylus if you dont take a few simple precautions!

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bourne , Lincs
Originally Posted by wrcallar View Post
Ok so i'v had my phone a few months n there is already some light scratches on it!!! and i dn what from coz i never put it in my pocket with anything like keys!

Is there a way to get rid of em or am i stuck with them for 2 years lol! can u like polish them away or summit?

ta x
You could try a plastic polish scratch remover, search google. We use them at work on aircraft windscreens and canopy's, so a phone screen should be a doddle. All I will say is polishing out scratches is a long process, it isn't achieved in minutes!! Me personally, I use a screen protector!!

The Following User Says Thank You to arnie1971 For This Useful Post: